Any suggestions for a week from Swanley Bridge Marina on the Llangollen Canal this autumn?

Coryton

Featured Posts

Hello.

Having had to cancel our planned canal boat holiday in Scotland last year due to Covid, we rebooked for the first week of November, this time from Marine Cruise's Swanlea Bridge marina.

This will be our first time on a narrow boat. We've been river boating a few times so have some experience in boat handling (but never had to work our own locks).

I've looked on the Marine Cruises web site and didn't find it terribly helpful in terms of where one might go in a week. I also spent quite a bit of time playing around on Canalplan but there are so many possibilities that I just ended up more confused.

Given that there will only be around 9 hours of daylight getting down to Llangollen and back seems ambitious, lovely as it looks.

When we've been on rivers in the past we've been happy to do a fair bit of cruising, but also want to spend some time sightseeing rather than just spending the whole time on the move.

It would be nice to have locks to go through - tunnels and aqueducts would be a bonus. I got quite excited when I saw we could get to the Anderton boat lift - less so when I saw that it isn't actually lifting. (Shame, since we missed out on the Falkirk wheel last year).

Any suggestions will be gratefully received because at the moment I'm a bit stumped. It was much easier on rivers because there was much less choice over where to go!

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

I would head towards Llangollen and see if you get there, it is doable from Swanley in 6 days at around 7hrs boating a day.

I have to say I had rather come to that conclusion.

But there are a lot of other possibilities...

3 minutes ago, Coryton said:

I have to say I had rather come to that conclusion.

But there are a lot of other possibilities...

Heading to Llangollen will give you some locks, tunnels and a couple of aqueducts.  In my opinion, I would say that is the nicest trip short trip in that area.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Heading to Llangollen will give you some locks, tunnels and a couple of aqueducts.  In my opinion, I would say that is the nicest trip short trip in that area.

Locks, yes, but the tunnels and aqueducts seem to come near the end so it depends how far we get...

Id head for Llangollen too.

I picked up a boat from Swanley last Sunday afternoon so would expect a similar amount of traffic/moored boats (not that much) as you would be getting- I was at Frankton Junction Monday evening (booked for Monty on the Tuesday morning) and it took me about 15 hours ish to give you some idea of travel time involved.

Thanks.

It will be half term so possibly busier than it is now.

We had a lovely time on the Norfolk Broads last year at around the same time (also half term). It wasn't quiet and all the available boats were booked. Some might have been taken out for an early start on winter maintenance but I suspect if so it wasn't many.

But this year it's been much easier for people to go abroad so perhaps things will be more normal.

I would also say head for Llangollen.  If you want to put the hours in you will be able to get the Llangollen and back.  You could turn at Trevor once over the aqueduct, you miss on Llangollen which is a lovely destination, but it will save a lot on time as you don’t have to time an overnight at the end.

I think in the main half term is the week before, ie before the clocks change, so that should not contribute too much to boat numbers, but it will be dark earlier.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

I would also say head for Llangollen.  If you want to put the hours in you will be able to get the Llangollen and back.  You could turn at Trevor once over the aqueduct, you miss on Llangollen which is a lovely destination, but it will save a lot on time as you don’t have to time an overnight at the end.

I think in the main half term is the week before, ie before the clocks change, so that should not contribute too much to boat numbers, but it will be dark earlier.

Thanks

You're all confirming the conclusion I'd come to. This will be useful ammunition n the case of disagreement over plans...

I see your point about half term. I didn't check because I think this one is usually aligned with most of the UK. I'm sure it was last year because it was the end of the season on the Broads (at least for our hire company) - when the boats came in that was that.

Probably explains why it was so easy to get a boat this year even though we booked quite late.

For some reason we've ended up here with half term a week later than elsewhere and then the term finishing on December 23rd. It seems a strange decision to me, rather than having a week before and a week after Christmas. Good luck with the schools getting much work done that last week!

Yes it's a shame about the clock change, but of course we still get the same amount of daylight- just have to get up an hour earlier.

I've done two holidays on the llangollen this year, both 4 nights - one from bunbury to just before ellesmere - one from whixhall to trevor basin also going to the end of the montgomery and back - this one was in the middle of September. 

I think you'd have very few issues getting at least to trevor basin in 6 nights - and turning there the only thing you're missing is Llangollen itself - you'll have done chirk tunnel and aqueduct, also you'll have done the big aqueduct right before turning.  it was very busy at points but we didnt have any massive hold ups. 

sightseeing wise - ellesmere was very nice for a wander around the shops - we ate in the red lion but there was plenty of options. there are quite a few wildlife preserves along this stretch of canal if youd like to see that.

chirk is supposed to be nice too but we didnt stop there just due to the time scale we were on. 

more importantly : food options

willymoor lock tavern was good

the horse and jockey at grindley brook - really good

the red lion ellesmere

the aqueduct inn right by the Pontcysyllte aqueduct - would really recommend this

i wrote a post about the trip which is in this sub forum, please have a look!

any questions please ask!

2 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I can imagine Llangollen would be lovely in the Autumn..... :)

it was lovely a few weeks ago! we got quite lucky with the weather and only had one day of rain but all the wildlife was still out and about.

would recommend the aqueducts at sunrise or just at sun set - was absolutely spectacular with the light

15 minutes ago, Telstar17 said:

I've done two holidays on the llangollen this year, both 4 nights - one from bunbury to just before ellesmere - one from whixhall to trevor basin also going to the end of the montgomery and back - this one was in the middle of September. 

I think you'd have very few issues getting at least to trevor basin in 6 nights - and turning there the only thing you're missing is Llangollen itself - you'll have done chirk tunnel and aqueduct, also you'll have done the big aqueduct right before turning.  it was very busy at points but we didnt have any massive hold ups. 

any questions please ask!

Thanks for all of that. 

I was thinking that if we made it over both aqueducts that would probably do.

have been to Llangollen anyway though it was a while ago.

I found your post yesterday, as it happens. Most useful!

28 minutes ago, Coryton said:

Thanks for all of that. 

I was thinking that if we made it over both aqueducts that would probably do.

have been to Llangollen anyway though it was a while ago.

I found your post yesterday, as it happens. Most useful!

You're welcome! we really enjoyed it - was our first canal holiday and we are planning more!

you could consider the montgomery canal as well which was nice and much more peaceful but would recommend doing thursday/friday/saturday/sunday if you want to - its only a day to the end and back and the pubs we saw only serve food on those days or are just closed except those days.

14 minutes ago, Telstar17 said:

You're welcome! we really enjoyed it - was our first canal holiday and we are planning more!

I'll be interested to see if after this we want to do more, or whether we'd rather go back to river cruises.

15 minutes ago, Telstar17 said:

you could consider the montgomery canal as well which was nice and much more peaceful but would recommend doing thursday/friday/saturday/sunday if you want to - its only a day to the end and back and the pubs we saw only serve food on those days or are just closed except those days.

I did consider it, but I don't know if Frankton locks will be available for most of that week. The CRT web site gives "summer" opening times up to 31st October but is silent as to whether they are open at all after that. I think I'd rather try to make it to the aqueducts anyway,

My first choice would be to head in the direction of Llangollen, but you'll want to stop at Whitchurch and Ellesmere , so it will be a push to do it all within a week, and especially since you dont want to spend all your time just cruising along.

Even if you don't even reach the aqueducts before you have to turn back, its still the nicest cruise option. 

My second choice would be to visit Chester. There are some nice locks en route (in fact too many for my liking as a solo boater), and its a great place for a visit. 

Middlewich are Northwich are OK, but I didnt personally find the cruising quite as lovely as the other two routes. 

Edited by Tony1

46 minutes ago, Coryton said:

Funnily enough Chester was my second choice (and it's certainly worth a visit) - but there didn't seem to be anywhere particularly interesting to stop on the way so it looked as if it wouldn't keep us occupied for a week.

Beeston Castle is worth a visit, although it is a bit of a walk from the canal.

1 hour ago, Coryton said:

Funnily enough Chester was my second choice (and it's certainly worth a visit) - but there didn't seem to be anywhere particularly interesting to stop on the way so it looked as if it wouldn't keep us occupied for a week.

Swanley Bridge to Llangollen and back can easily be done in a hire boat week, but you'll be travelling for maybe 6 hours a day and not stopping for long periods to visit places, canalplan will show you this.

If you do I'd second the recommendation for the Willeymoor Lock, also the Bridge Inn at Chirk Bank, the Aqueduct at Froncysyllte, and the Corn Mill in Llangollen. 

So the consensus of the forum is to head to Llangollen which confirms your own thoughts.

Don’t over think it. Just set out what you need to do to get there and then do it. My bet is you’ll find it easier in practice than theory.

Let’s be honest, you don’t want to head for the terminus of a canal and fail to get there.

Enjoy. I’m sure you will.

23 hours ago, IanD said:

Swanley Bridge to Llangollen and back can easily be done in a hire boat week, but you'll be travelling for maybe 6 hours a day and not stopping for long periods to visit places, canalplan will show you this.

Yes canalplan did indeed show that (amazing web site) - which is why I was a bit unsure.

15 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Don’t over think it. Just set out what you need to do to get there and then do it. My bet is you’ll find it easier in practice than theory.

Let’s be honest, you don’t want to head for the terminus of a canal and fail to get there.

No I don't - you're quite right. I'm quite happy with 6 hours cruising a day - and we'll have plenty of people to take turns at the helm (or whatever you call it on a narrow boat).

I'm just not sure that everyone will want to be travelling that much.

4 hours ago, Coryton said:

No I don't - you're quite right. I'm quite happy with 6 hours cruising a day - and we'll have plenty of people to take turns at the helm (or whatever you call it on a narrow boat).

I'm just not sure that everyone will want to be travelling that much.

I half remember that old saying- to travel hopefully is better than to arrive (or something like that).

In the context of narrowboat cruising, I find it an interesting question- is the journey more important, or reaching the destination?

Its probably a mixture of both, with the proportions depending on an individual's character, and on the journey type.

In the case of 8000 metre mountaineers, for example, reaching the top is everything, and the climb itself is often an unpleasant and exhausting grind.  

Personally, I went as far as Trevor basin last summer, but I was starting to find the increased boat traffic a bit tiresome, and I ended up turning around and heading back towards Chirk, with the idea of coming back at a future (quieter) time in order to reach Llangollen itself 

I do totally understand that with the restricted boating time you have, there will be an approach of making the most of it- so 6 hours cruising per day will not seem like an imposition or a chore of any kind. 

But with there being others aboard who are perhaps less invested in the experience of cruising, I think you are right to wonder if some form of compromise would be wise. 

I went on a hire boat holiday almost a decade ago, and I remember I set a target destination based on average speed and cruising hours per day, etc.

Having mileage targets to meet each day did start to take the edge off of the enjoyment a little bit, and it meant we didnt stop at all the places we would have. And when we did stop, it was not for as long as we might have liked to. 

Its one thing to say 'we cant stop for milk because we need to reach X place today', but its a bit more of a problem when you find yourself saying: 'we cant take a walk into that valley underneath the aqueduct, because it might stop us reaching Llangollen.' 

What is happening in the latter case is that you are giving up what could be really nice local experiences, in order to carry on chugging towards your destination. 

Ultimately you could catch a bus or cab into Llangollen if you get within say 10 miles of it, but if you hit a queue or other delay of any sort, I would advise not trying to make up the time by putting the throttle down and going 4mph for the rest of the day. 

It makes sense to have a goal of getting to Llangollen, but don't let yourself slip into that mindset where it becomes a crusade.