Canal Society Trip Boats on isolated waterways

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Lancaster Canal at Crooklands, run by the Lancaster Canal Trust.  Great trip, starts a couple/few miles north of the head of navigation at Tewitfield.

Well worth spending some time exploring the upper reaches on foot too, particularly the tunnel and around Sedgwick.

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

"Just a minute"

Hesitation, repetition and duplication (see post #4 - 3 days ago)

Who cares, another free advert for a worthwhile cause.

Edited by pete.i
  • Greenie 1

Some good stuff! I need to stop working and get exploring :D 

On 30/09/2022 at 09:02, Athy said:

Venturing a bit further afield, we went on two trip boats run by ARECABE, the preservation society of the Canal de Berry in central France. They were on two separate restored lengths, one in Vierzon, the other out in the sticks. One, incidentally, was a Springer - they had at least a couple of them.

This was at least ten years ago, and I don't know whether then boats still operate.

Springer on Canal de Berry.jpg

Ooooo - That's one for the next trip to France, I shall do some research 

On 30/09/2022 at 22:22, oboat said:

Going a little further afield try Malacca City, 32 boats.
An interesting Transformation/ Restoration Project

How to transform a World Heritage Area into a Disneyland. 

https://braggaboutlife.wordpress.com/2018/07/28/george-town-penang-prince-of-wales-island-part-1/

IMG_2352.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

I did the trip up the Mallaca River in 1991 - it didn't look like that! Nor did the boats. In many ways I'm glad I went travelling then, I'm very happy that places such as Malaysia have found prosperity, but also glad I saw them "as they were" - in this case on a wooden fishing boat through the kampung ayer.   

Overall thanks for all the suggestions, and keep em coming - partly it's about canals and rivers that I'll never get Juno to, and partly about working out how much canal you need (or, conversley how little you can get away with) to operate a trip boat. 

Edited by magpie patrick

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Overall thanks for all the suggestions, and keep em coming - partly it's about canals and rivers that I'll never get Juno to, and partly about working out how much canal you need (or, conversley how little you can get away with) to operate a trip boat. 

My general observation is that around 45 minutes is a typical trip boat cruise time

On 02/10/2022 at 13:05, magpie patrick said:

... and partly about working out how much canal you need (or, conversley how little you can get away with) to operate a trip boat. 

Prince Bishop - River Wear Durham.   https://www.facebook.com/PrinceBishopRiverCruiser/ 

Not sure how well it is doing post-Accursed-Virus. Only a mile-and-a-bit (??) between the Wear's weirs. There's a Sept2002 review on TripAdvisor

boat%5B1%5D_303490228.gif&action=Product

On 02/10/2022 at 15:23, Mike Todd said:

My general observation is that around 45 minutes is a typical trip boat cruise time

Part of the reason is the (lack of) attention span unless you really like and appreciate Canal's

When Electra was planning their cruises from the marina in MK they introduced "one way trips*" as people got bored with a repeat of the two hour trip out but in reverse

[ * - For "one way" they took one group of people for a silent cruise and got a second party on a minibus. At half time and the far end they swapped groups. The one's who'd had a cruise were back in the car park in about twenty minutes while the other group were enjoying "their first cruise on an electric boat" ]

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

If you are going to include trip boats on lakes what about Steam Yacht Gondola on Coniston?

1431854477752-2019-ntgondola-coniston-49

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/steam-yacht-gondola

Or Ullswater.

7BA3EB5E-AEC5-47FE-A5E3-20D99BAAA9A6.jpeg.faba473ff11ce53624a9d9cb865c1b5f.jpeg

867D15B9-82E1-4F99-A43C-ACD900F80108.jpeg.c9b31e89ac2a3f19ae3924c6d8081ad0.jpeg

Sadly the Sir Walter Scott on Loch Katrine  steam boat is out for much work, another boat sails there. Then there’s Loch Lomand too. 

5 hours ago, PeterScott said:

https://sabrinaboat.co.uk/day-trips/  Shrewsbury on River Severn - but not a canal society boat  Picture from the website

spacer.png

a  lovely trip, past the park, school (that used to be a hospital) several bridges and boathouses 

C8B9DE20-CD90-479E-ABE0-FA59D9776336.jpeg.fb7d5328a830829d83b1609acf00a647.jpeg

21 hours ago, CIEL said:

Does the Spalding Water Taxi count for a forty minute trip?

Not sure how far up the River Welland it is.

https://www.spaldingwatertaxi.co.uk/

Chris

The 8-10 seat Water Taxi only go's from High Bridge round to the Shopping Centre, interesting trip if you are in an Anorak.
That said a trip from the Chain Forge could prove lucrative in the hands of a well run organisation.

IMG_2901.JPG

On 29/09/2022 at 15:11, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Not under restoration, but isolated, excepting a tidal traverse, is the River Hull and Driffield Navigation. Two trip boats at Beverley.

https://www.visiteastyorkshire.co.uk/whats-on/beverley-barge-and-rides-p1456481

Now that is a new one on me and would be an interesting trip thanks.