Canal Society Trip Boats on isolated waterways

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Was just pondering elements of canal restoration and got as far as canal society trip boats - partly so I can go and have a ride on them! But also as an overview. I'm thinking of trip boats that are on isolated sections like the Chesterfield at Tapton and Hollingwood - I've been on both of those. I'm slowly trawling the web but it's frustrating and I'm not sure it's entirely accurate any more either - I'm sure I've seen trip boats moored up at places such as Over Basin for example but a search doesn't find them, so I wonder what the forumites know about for trips in their neck of the woods or they're involved or they've been for a trip. 

Off the top of my head I know of the Chesterfield as mentioned above, the horsedawn trips at Tiverton and the Wey and Arun trips from Loxwood, but I'm sure there must be more, I'm just not finding them... 

Thanks all

MP

Mon & Brec ?

Our Boats – MBACTrust

Who are we?

We are a small local charity run by volunteers, dedicated to the protection, improvement, and restoration of the canal for the benefit of the local community. We run a “not-for-profit” Community Boats operation where any income over-and-above operating costs is reinvested into the education, restoration/regeneration, improvement, and promotion of the canal.

We are disability aware and dementia friendly. We will endeavour to assist wherever we can. If you will need assistance please let us know in advance. We are there to help you enjoy our cruise.

If you wish to find out more on why we run trip boats then our Why do we run our Boats page can give you some background information.

43 minutes ago, jpcdriver said:

Again, one that is not strictly on an isolated waterway but not many boaters get there due to the difficult access, is trips run by the Pocklington Canal Society (https://www.pocklingtoncanalsociety.org/boat-trips) from Melbourne. 

Oooooooo 😃 I had no idea about that one! Wonder if I could get a party together for a longer trip :) (or if not, is one person a "party" :lol: )

You are right, there are trip boats at Over Basin, though there doesn't appear to be a regular schedule. If you have a group, rather than just an individual wanting a trip, then best bet is to get in touch with the H&GCT.

One nobody has mentioned yet, the Grantham Canal.

http://www.granthamcanal.org/trip-boat22/

• Greenie 1

I seem to recall Waterways World did a listing of all trip boats a while back. Might help to identify those on isolated waterways.

Does the horse drawn trip boat that goes beyond Llangollen basin count? It's a waterway most of us cannot visit with our own boats.

Also, didn't Iona relocate from Godalming to the Grand Western Canal?

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Oooooooo 😃 I had no idea about that one! Wonder if I could get a party together for a longer trip :) (or if not, is one person a "party" :lol: )

Every Sunday PM from easter to end October. Longer trips at other times by arrangement with boat organiser.

Contact the Boat manager; his contact details are 

book.newhorizons@gmail.com 

Details are also on PCAS web site 

Hope that helps

Howard

Edited by howardang

There’s the Wilts and Berks with two

https://www.wbct.org.uk/enjoy-discover/take-a-boat-trip-with-us

Pewsham is particularly lovely 

Also is the boat launched at Newport Salop still there? I don’t think it actually travelled whilst moored there tbf 

https://www.towpathtalk.co.uk/after-more-than-70-years-a-narrowboat-returns-to-newport/

Venturing a bit further afield, we went on two trip boats run by ARECABE, the preservation society of the Canal de Berry in central France. They were on two separate restored lengths, one in Vierzon, the other out in the sticks. One, incidentally, was a Springer - they had at least a couple of them.

This was at least ten years ago, and I don't know whether then boats still operate.

Springer on Canal de Berry.jpg

Edited by Athy

23 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Was just pondering elements of canal restoration and got as far as canal society trip boats - partly so I can go and have a ride on them! But also as an overview. I'm thinking of trip boats that are on isolated sections like the Chesterfield at Tapton and Hollingwood - I've been on both of those. I'm slowly trawling the web but it's frustrating and I'm not sure it's entirely accurate any more either - I'm sure I've seen trip boats moored up at places such as Over Basin for example but a search doesn't find them, so I wonder what the forumites know about for trips in their neck of the woods or they're involved or they've been for a trip. 

Off the top of my head I know of the Chesterfield as mentioned above, the horsedawn trips at Tiverton and the Wey and Arun trips from Loxwood, but I'm sure there must be more, I'm just not finding them... 

Thanks all

MP

Another way in which you might want to take a leaf out of the Chesterfield Canal Trust's book is in establishing an end to end identity for your canal. I believe I'm right in saying that the Cuckoo Way came long before there was a trip boat in place. Being able to get from one end to the other of a waterway under restoration fixes it in the minds of people in a way that a trip along a short, isolated length never can. In the early days, the end to end route will inevitably not be able to follow the navigation in the way that the towpath did and there will need to be some creative diversions put in place but there's nothing wrong with that. Just look at the route currently employed by the Thames & Severn Canal east of Stroud to see what I mean.

On 29/09/2022 at 10:14, magpie patrick said:

Thanks all

MP

Chichcester Ship Canal has two boats a 12 seat  & a 42.

15 hours ago, Athy said:

What appropriate names.

Perseverance was named after one of the last surviving Stroudwater barges which sat on the bank at Ryeford for a number of years before being broken up. The trip boat was the first narrow boat style trip boat built new for the Cotswold Canals Trust. 

Endeavour was named by the CCT but started life as a day hire boat but I forget where. It was at Braunston at one point.  

• Greenie 1