Multi stove wall protector, heat shield.

Timx

Featured Posts

Will this be good to stop my walls getting hot. Last year I just used tin foil , which worked but doesn’t look good.

FIBERGLASS CLOTH 1.5mmX1M 

£29.00£29.00

• APPLICATIONS: Vitcas e glass fiber cloth is used for the variety of purpose such as protective wear- gloves, covers, vehicles- cars, motorbikes, boilers, foundries, iron & steel industries and marine industry. 
  • HEAT RESISTANT: Vitcas aluminum e glass fiber cloth can with stand high heat temperatures such as it can resist up to 550 degree Celsius. 
  • SAFE FOR ENVIRONMENT: Vitcas aluminum fiber glass cloth is made of e-glass which makes this cloth safe for the environment. 
  • PREMIUM QUALITY: Our aluminum cloth is made of fiberglass, which is durable, soft, elastic and has long service life. 
  • REDUCES FRAYING: Glass fiber cloth is coated with the aluminum foil which helps to reduce the fraying in the boilers, foundries of the industries. 

A245F74C-4B24-4B78-AC9E-4DA1EE05D6D1.png

It’s to go behind my multi fuel stove, it has fire board etc , but the wood above that gets very hot, so needs some shield.

Why wouldn't you just use the 'stuff' specified in the British Standards ?

British Standard BS 8511:2010 Code of practice for the installation of solid fuel heating and cooking appliances in small craft

ie - Calcium Silicate Board.

Heat PROTECTION PANELS Stoves and uninsulated flue pipes can easily get hot enough to set fire to paint, wood or other combustibles a distance away. A single fireproof panel fastened straight to a wall is no use – heat can pass straight through it. One way of making a good protection panel is to have: a 10mm air gap (supported on offcuts), then 25mm thick calcium silicate board (which can be tiled) then at least a 45mm gap to the stove body, all extending at least 200mm above the stove. (7) (This construction can be used as the hearth underneath a stove with legs, if topped by a 15mm cement-board panel.)

Boat Stoves Fitting Guidance.pdf

Hi, the boat is an Aqualine, 15 years old, passed conformity on boat safety cert, even though I mentioned it to the examiner. Walls get too hot for my liking, and I have been using extra protection, plus radiating heat. Hence my question, sorry I never made that clear.

I think this will do something to stop the wood itself heating and quite likely bursting in to flames eventually. I too am looking for something thin, and reflective.

How does your stove install compare with the HETAS  recommendations of air gap, calcium silicate? Also porcelain tiles are better, not sure why.

My stove is too close to the wood, including the deckhead.

The only thing I have done there is chisel away the fireclay which was at flue top, I think I used fibreglass rope, and then bound foiled exhaust tape round the metal ring, that worked, similar stuff to this so it's sounds ideal. Well, worth a try. I might add a glass fibre fire blanket, though it's fairly close weave, so little air insulation, exhaust tape is coarse 

I need a non inflammable adhesive.

I have considered removing my tiles, maybe fibreglass blanket then calcium silicate then this sheeting.

My stove does tend to overheat.

Edited by LadyG

I can't really fit my stove according to recommendations, the stove is too close to walls. Yes, it might be possible to deconsruct the diner and the rest of the surrounds, or move the stove, and a fit a new hearth, but as long as I have this stove as it is, I have to work around it.

Thinking about removing tiles and cutting out ply replacing with calcium silicate or vermiculite board, it's going to be expensive. Still not what is recommended. Removing tiles and then this e glass foil sheet or just this sheet on top of tiles far easier., 

Has to be better than cooking foil 

14 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

If you watch Cruising the cut on the tube, he does a similar thing with some foil stuff back when he first got the boat.

Indeed , but he's no expert, we are trying to find the optimum solution from several choices, with a bit of science and technology

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Also porcelain tiles are better, not sure why.

They are less likely to craze when exposed to heat compared with ceramic tiles.

Ceramics are, however, much easier to cut. If you need to cut a porcelain tile, best take it to a bathroom installer and pay for them to use their £200 tile cutter than buy your own. A diamond cutting wheel in an angle grinder works, but it's hard to get an exact edge that way.

10 minutes ago, Puffling said:

They are less likely to craze when exposed to heat compared with ceramic tiles.

Ceramics are, however, much easier to cut. If you need to cut a porcelain tile, best take it to a bathroom installer and pay for them to use their £200 tile cutter than buy your own. A diamond cutting wheel in an angle grinder works, but it's hard to get an exact edge that way.

As my tiles have not crazed, I assume they are not getting too hot, so I'll just keep them.

I am more concerned about the wood above the stove, also the asthetics.

Kitchen foil is used to cook turkeys, so limited use for stove safety imho 

To protect the wood you can either cover the wood with a reflective insulation or you could fit a heat shield to the flue.  
This could be like a lagging wrap on the flue, but that would greatly reduce the heat into the boat from the flue.  A better approach might be to have a stainless sheet the length of the flue and rolled to about a semi circle about a couple of inches bigger than the flue pipe.  This would reflect the heat away from the walls.

23 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Looks to me like you are over firing that stove. Shouldn't need anything  like that, above gunnel level but looks like scorching? Is that a double skin flue or a 6 inch Job  ?

If my stove was running that hot I'd have to have the doors open...

That pic is taken in the depths of winter, when it’s really cold.  I’m a live aboard approaching my eighth  winter on boat.

15 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

To protect the wood you can either cover the wood with a reflective insulation or you could fit a heat shield to the flue.  
This could be like a lagging wrap on the flue, but that would greatly reduce the heat into the boat from the flue.  A better approach might be to have a stainless sheet the length of the flue and rolled to about a semi circle about a couple of inches bigger than the flue pipe.  This would reflect the heat away from the walls.

Yeah, a reflective shield is what I’m looking for recommendations for. But want to put it on the walls rather than flu. Thanks.

23 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Looks to me like you are over firing that stove. Shouldn't need anything  like that, above gunnel level but looks like scorching? Is that a double skin flue or a 6 inch Job  ?

It’s a double flu.

17 hours ago, LadyG said:

I think this will do something to stop the wood itself heating and quite likely bursting in to flames eventually. I too am looking for something thin, and reflective.

How does your stove install compare with the HETAS  recommendations of air gap, calcium silicate? Also porcelain tiles are better, not sure why.

My stove is too close to the wood, including the deckhead.

The only thing I have done there is chisel away the fireclay which was at flue top, I think I used fibreglass rope, and then bound foiled exhaust tape round the metal ring, that worked, similar stuff to this so it's sounds ideal. Well, worth a try. I might add a glass fibre fire blanket, though it's fairly close weave, so little air insulation, exhaust tape is coarse 

I need a non inflammable adhesive.

I have considered removing my tiles, maybe fibreglass blanket then calcium silicate then this sheeting.

My stove does tend to overheat.

I tried reading this but couldn't understand what you were saying.

21 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I think that would be a very tidy solution.

On 29/09/2022 at 00:22, jonathanA said:

The boat doors not the stove doors, from the photo looks like stove too close to wood work 

Maybe I'm missing something but looking at the third pic again I can't see any real evidence of darkening or scorching and if you have a double skin flue I'm not sure I'd expect to . (I can see the remnants of your tin foil which I initially took for charring)

If you have been on board for 15 years and the boat hasn't burst into flames yet,  I'm not sure what you are worrying about. 

I have to say if I had to drape tin foil blankets around my stove I'd be changing my heating setup. Not trying to be  rude just saying maybe you need to look at a different solution, which I guess is the reason for the post.

And yes @LadyG I meant boatdoors not stove doors.  

How hot does the wood actually get or is the reflective foil about getting more heat into the boat ?

On 29/09/2022 at 00:24, Timx said:

Hi, the boat is an Aqualine, 15 years old, passed conformity on boat safety cert, even though I mentioned it to the examiner. Walls get too hot for my liking, and I have been using extra protection, plus radiating heat. Hence my question, sorry I never made that clear.

Yyyou could check with Aqualine to confirm this but when we bought our Aquualine we were told that behind the tiles they have something like asbestos sheets.  I think the only other advice was to just to check the grout and replace if needed . The tiles do get  hot but Aqualine were very strict when installing fires and if you have nanny worries just give them a ring.