On English canals, is a licence really necessary?

NN247

Featured Posts

My dad was an old boatman since the 60s, and I used to be on off the canals my self, but I haven't been near them for 15 years, and I was never the big expert in the first place.  Back then, there were people that had these little number plate thing in their windows, but half the boats didn't have them, and members of my family who bought and sold narrowboats didn't bother with them, without ever having a problem.

I'm looking to get a boat for various reasons, and reading online there's much more talk of safety certificates, insurance, and these licenses.  I understand that this is a legal requirement, but for practical purposes, if I just buy a boat, and start doing it up, but without that paper work, am I likely to get some kind of fine or other consequences?

• Unimpressed 1

4 minutes ago, NN247 said:

My dad was an old boatman since the 60s, and I used to be on off the canals my self, but I haven't been near them for 15 years, and I was never the big expert in the first place.  Back then, there were people that had these little number plate thing in their windows, but half the boats didn't have them, and members of my family who bought and sold narrowboats didn't bother with them, without ever having a problem.

I'm looking to get a boat for various reasons, and reading online there's much more talk of safety certificates, insurance, and these licenses.  I understand that this is a legal requirement, but for practical purposes, if I just buy a boat, and start doing it up, but without that paper work, am I likely to get some kind of fine or other consequences?

If this is a serious question, the answer is yes, you need to comply like almost all other boaters do. You can loose the boat and be fined, many who try to play the system are.

If it is a windup, I am sorry but it  is not appreciated.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If this is a serious question, the answer is yes, you need to comply like almost all other boaters do. You can loose the boat and be fined, many who try to play the system are.

If it is a windup, I am sorry but it  is not appreciated.

What are the chances of actually getting "caught" for not complying with this nonsense?  Is it like not having a TV licence (ie, who cares), or not having an MOT (getting caught guaranteed)?

Just now, BEngo said:

If you are in CRT water they are very likely to act.

If you are in Peel water (the Bridgewater) they are near certain to act.

The EA will act, once they notice.

N

Do they have people walking about and down or something?

Also, what does acting look like?

• Angry 1

6 minutes ago, NN247 said:

What are the chances of actually getting "caught" for not complying with this nonsense?  Is it like not having a TV licence (ie, who cares), or not having an MOT (getting caught guaranteed)?

Do they have people walking about and down or something?

Also, what does acting look like?

Yes, they have people walking about

Acting looks like they warn you first, then when you ignore them they use their legal powers to remove your boat from their water...

12 minutes ago, BEngo said:

If you are in CRT water they are very likely to act.

If you are in Peel water (the Bridgewater) they are near certain to act.

The EA will act, once they notice.

N

The Middle Level Commissioners will act, now that they've realised that they can charge the people who used to live on their waters for free.

The Cam Conservancy... well there isn't any space there anyway...

1 minute ago, RB-T said:

Another nice welcome! 

Hey pal, how you doing?

People who set out to avoid paying licences are like those who claimed benefits while working on the black market.

The money is used to run the infrastructure, those who don't pay are subsidised by those who do.

Its fraud. 

• Greenie 2

A bloke on our mooring was adamant CRT couldn't take his boat away for non payment of licence fees. He said he had made what amounted to a derisory monthly payment offer that didn't cover his current licence let alone his missing payments. He thought this would protect him from having his boat removed as they couldnt lawfully do it. He wasn't a legal expert. It took a while for them to do it but he was wrong. His dog also bit me sneakily from behind while I was walking past and no apology or concern. That was just before his boat was removed by CRT. I had little or no sympathy. 

Maybe some people have got their wish and Tony Dunkley has risen in a different form and member name, as I remember him having the same care free approach to licensing, until it cost him thousands in legal fees/court costs and the loss of his boats😂 if I remember right.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Maybe some people have got their wish and Tony Dunkley has risen in a different form and member name, as I remember him having the same care free approach to licensing, until it cost him thousands in legal fees/court costs and the loss of his boats😂 if I remember right.

Toi be fair to Tony, he was quite prepared to get a Pleasure Boat Certificate (somewhat incorrectly described as a "Rivers Only Licence"). His problem was his insistence that his boat did not have a working engine, and therefore didn't need a BSS Certificate, without which CaRT would not issue the Certificate (Licence).

4 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Toi be fair to Tony, he was quite prepared to get a Pleasure Boat Certificate (somewhat incorrectly described as a "Rivers Only Licence"). His problem was his insistence that his boat did not have a working engine, and therefore didn't need a BSS Certificate, without which CaRT would not issue the Certificate (Licence).

And in the end he lost his boats I believe, maybe the OP can take note, that you can’t boat without the relevant paperwork.