Lister hb3 won't start - compression issue?

Ca Jon

Featured Posts

I agree with Frangar that it sounds in that video like all the decompression levers are engaged.

Can Ca Jon please confirm whether or not this i the case.

If they are, what happens if you keep the starter running, then quickly throw all the levers over to place the engine back with compression.

FWIW I always start both our HA2s by running them up with no compression, then throwing the levers.  The noise in your video is pretty well what we get up until the point I throw the levers.

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Cant get video too much of luddite.

really needs to get compression checked.

cant see how you would get no compression on all cylinders , unless the  cam has slipped or broken and he says rockers move.

ours still starts on one even with carbon under seat you start on one and then the carbon gets crushed and flies past your ear.

ive even run one for a while with cracked head it just chuffs

I agree.

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I agree with Frangar that it sounds in that video like all the decompression levers are engaged.

Can Ca Jon please confirm whether or not this i the case.

If they are, what happens if you keep the starter running, then quickly throw all the levers over to place the engine back with compression.

FWIW I always start both our HA2s by running them up with no compression, then throwing the levers.  The noise in your video is pretty well what we get up until the point I throw the levers.

Thank you Alan. Will try that later today. 

1 hour ago, Ca Jon said:

UPDATE ***

Thank you all for your help. 
The decompression levers were all in  the decompression position!!  Turned them all back and it started first time. 

That was  the first thing that occurred to me which is why I asked earlier.  Well done, you won't do that again!

1 hour ago, Ca Jon said:

UPDATE ***

Thank you all for your help. 
The decompression levers were all in  the decompression position!!  Turned them all back and it started first time. 

Nice  one!

Your sound recording file made me pretty confident that would be it.

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Nice  one!

Your sound recording file made me pretty confident that would be it.

Thanks Alan. Your comment encouraged me to check. I hadn’t moved the levers, but we did have a break in recently.  (An inverter and a strimmer taken). I’m guessing they must have tried starting the engine and maybe moved the decompression levers. 

• Sad 1

At our wedding in 1987 our ‘friends’ filled the ha’s silencer and air filter with confetti, and then unscrewed the decompression adjusters. They knew that i would crank the engine and realise i couldnt decompress. The opposite problem to you. I duly swore got the toolbox out while theycongregated  sniggering for the big bang.

Damp squib unfortunately just flaming embers on the cabin top!

glad you got a free fix.

10 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

At our wedding in 1987 our ‘friends’ filled the ha’s silencer and air filter with confetti, and then unscrewed the decompression adjusters. They knew that i would crank the engine and realise i couldnt decompress. The opposite problem to you. I duly swore got the toolbox out while theycongregated  sniggering for the big bang.

Damp squib unfortunately just flaming embers on the cabin top!

glad you got a free fix.

That’s funny!  Not quite a free fix though. Paid for the starter motor inspection/service. But at least it will probably last another 50 years. 

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Is it because a mere woman cannot possibly know about engines?  Don't know why I bother, I got to this in the third post.

I doubt it. I did not seem to get a reply to my question about the cranking voltage. It seems some don't see questions that do not conform to their own ideas.

A funny joke is to turn the pin in a Lister crankhandle tuther way round.....................ive known guys crank until they have a stroke  trying to get the motor to go.............and if it does start ,it sets fire to the aircleaner oil.....................I had a Caterpillar in a truck that would start backwards very easily ,and some surprised manouvers entailed .............one time at the toll booth on the Gateway,it went backwards...... I kept trying to take off ,and the truck would jump back,with some very worried car drivers behind.......the toll collector yells out "WTF.....your aircleaner is on fire.."