Parkside Tools

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

Just now, Chewbacka said:

As good as they cost.  Which might be good enough depending on what you are using it for…….

They're acceptable quality, and usually cheaper than similar-quality tools from other sources -- sometimes much cheaper, sometimes an absolute bargain...

Yes they are worth the money, but don't think you are getting top quality superbly engineered stuff. They are the usual Chinese copies with chinglish instructions.  My experience of aftersales  was excellent. Had a problem with an air tool, emailed them a picture of the receipt and a replacement arrived in the post from Germany. No faffing about.  You do need proof of purchase though.  

4 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Yes they are worth the money, but don't think you are getting top quality superbly engineered stuff. They are the usual Chinese copies with chinglish instructions.  My experience of aftersales  was excellent. Had a problem with an air tool, emailed them a picture of the receipt and a replacement arrived in the post from Germany. No faffing about.  You do need proof of purchase though.  

Pre- or post-Brexit? 😉

9 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

I purchased a Parkside mains circular saw as I had lots of chopping to do in a short space of time.  I was fully intending to take it back when it failed.... I never did, still have it now!

Same here, have got quite a few of their tools; they do the job and don't seem any less reliable than other brands. If you're a professional using a tool all day then it's worth getting something better (and paying several times as much), but for normal DIY use they're absolutely fine.

2 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

I purchased a Parkside mains circular saw as I had lots of chopping to do in a short space of time.  I was fully intending to take it back when it failed.... I never did, still have it now!

Agreed, the Lidle one worked for me for years until the motor burned out. The Alde one I replaced it with went out of alignment within a year or so, still fine for cutting logs to size though - its main use nowadays.

I have found some of their power tools to be what you would expect when you only spend a few quid. I had an angle grinder and the switch failed after about a year. I fitted an alternative from my bits box and it still works fine with that. I have also found that their cordless drills and screwdrivers are a bit undrpowered, the batteries don't last too long, and you cannot find replacements. . I have replaced all the drills and screwdrivers with DeWalt, which are far more pwwerful and the batteries last much longer, and you can get replacements.

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I have also found that their cordless drills and screwdrivers are a bit undrpowered, the batteries don't last too long,

I have a small cordless drill from Lidl that I picked up from the centre aisle about 4 years ago. I have been amazed how good it is. Only a small battery but it has never run out of charge on a job, even when I have been drilling multiple holes in steel. And unused it holds its charge for weeks and still drills holes without recharging first.

Edited by David Mack

I have blue Bosch stuff for things I use often like drill/impact wrench etc, and Parkside for less used. Had a Parkside multi tool and jigsaw for ages, used the jigsaw more than I thought, batteries and tool are still perfect. 

Seems on par with the budget Screwfix stuff but a bit cheaper, perfect for DIY occasional use. 

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

I have a small cordless drill from Lidl that I picked up from the centre aisle about 4 years ago. I have been amazed how good it is. Only a small battery but it has never run out of charge on a job, even when I have been drilling multiple holes in steel. And unused it holds its charge for weeks and still drills holes without recharging first.

I am assuming that quality has improved in more recent years., I bought a cordless drill and a scewdriver from Lidl more than twenty years ago when I was re-fitting Helvetia. I  replaced them several times, assuming that a few years was the normal life expectancy. I finally ditched them something like twelve years ago, replacing them with (admittedly more expensive) DeWalt ones which are still in my workshop and, with just a couple of replacement batteries, are still working well.

Edited to add:-  On reflection, it was probably the batteries which were the problem, they did not last very long before they would not hold a charge, and replacements were impossible to obtain. I did set up a plug and cable for the 12v drill and ran it from the boat battery for quite a few years before it finally died.

Edited by David Schweizer

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Conversely, I bought a Black and Decker cordless drill and it lasted maybe five years. My Alde one has lasted many, many years and I would expect Lidle ones t be similar but in a green case.

(Conversely), I have never owned a Black & Decker cordless drill or screwdriver, but I have had a Black & Decker Quatro hammer drill for decades. It has been subjected to some very hard work over the years, but still works well.

Edited by David Schweizer

7 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

(Conversely), I have never owned a Black & Decker cordless drill or screwdriver, but I have had a Black & Decker Quatro hammer drill for decades. It has been subjected to some very hard work over the years, but still works well.

Black and Decker angle grinders were the only ones that stood up to intensive MOT welding for a decent length of time in my garage, I've had most other top makes, Bosch, Makita and cheap ones ect ect, non of those lasted very long. I'm still using my old B&D grinder still going strong. I also have the original B&D Workmate, proper solid job. What B&D'S quality is like currently I'm not sure.

On 28/09/2022 at 10:39, bizzard said:

Black and Decker angle grinders were the only ones that stood up to intensive MOT welding for a decent length of time in my garage, I've had most other top makes, Bosch, Makita and cheap ones ect ect, non of those lasted very long. I'm still using my old B&D grinder still going strong. I also have the original B&D Workmate, proper solid job. What B&D'S quality is like currently I'm not sure.

It's not what it was.

Black and Decker is now owned by Stanley tools, the same company

also owns DeWalt.

They aim their tools at different markets. B&D are their budget end aimed at the DIY market, then Stanley are mid range and DeWalt is aimed more at their pro market (hence why DeWalt stuff is the stuff you always see builders using, with the odd bit of Stanley stuff here and there).

My B&D stuff all burned out very quickly when I was rebuilding my Landy. Replaced it all with a mix of Makita and DeWalt and never had a problem since.

Although I've also got Lidl and Aldi stuff for less intensive jobs and they've also been fine. The Aldi multi tool has been great and did a really good job of scraping the loose blacking inside the water tank last year.