Identification of Leeds & Liverpool Canal Short Boat

royg

Featured Posts

This blue hulled boat is moored by Cowley Lake on the Grand Union Canal. I am convinced it is one of the seven original British Isles Transportn Company Limited (Ranks) Boats The existence of four of this fleet I am aware of, so I think it is either A 36 or A 38 or A 42.

For i.d purposes the letter and numbers are stamped on either side of the Bow and on the Port Side of the Stern end.

Various posters on thie  forum have suggested this is A 38.

So an appeal ro all you boat owners in the vicinity near Cowley Lake to get up close to this boat to i.d. it, or better still if the owner can confirm which boat this is.received_1975253119239222.jpeg.3bf43551426f343899fa2206c98819f7.jpeg

Another photo of the location of the letter plus numbers stamped on the stern end under the white paint.

received_195339998069731.jpeg

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

Thread on Thunderboat about these craft

https://thunderboat.boards.net/thread/1604/leeds-liverpool-shortboats?page=1

This thread has a LOT of information by some people with in-depth knowledge.

ETA I know who you are now ! Bit slow on the uptake there.

I don't go past Cowley any more but last time I did I had a close look and couldn't see anything.

The boat has a lot of repair plates on the sides which I believe shows it was previously unloaded by a grab.

Edited by magnetman

You post a photo of a Leeds & Liverpool wide beam short boat, sporting A 40. 

Your opinion is it's either A 36 or A 38 or A 42.

You're asking those in the area to get up close to it in order to identify it, presumably by the number cast at both ends.
Which we can see is A 40.

Is that an accurate summary of your post?

6 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

You post a photo of a Leeds & Liverpool wide beam short boat, sporting A 40. 

Your opinion is it's either A 36 or A 38 or A 42.

You're asking those in the area to get up close to it in order to identify it, presumably by the number cast at both ends.
Which we can see is A 40.

Is that an accurate summary of your post?

No. He wants ID of the blue L&L boat moored between Packet boat Marina and The Shovel pub at Uxbridge. Its on the houseboat moorings not the towpath. Blue steel cabin with folded plating rather than welds along the top edge. Really nice boat. Also has a raised wooden extension cabin on the end.

It is an "unidentified" craft which may be a boat formerly believed to have been scrapped.

The boat in question is here

51.522204106720245, -0.4847683308528439

I actually think it might be a Long Boat not a short boat and there was a previous suggestion it could be the ATTRACTIVE.

May be getting mixed up though.

Edited by magnetman

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

No. He wants ID of the blue L&L boat moored between Packet boat Marina and The Shovel pub at Uxbridge. Its on the houseboat moorings not the towpath. Blue steel cabin with folded plating rather than welds along the top edge. Really nice boat. Also has a raised wooden extension cabin on the end.

It is an "unidentified" craft which may be a boat formerly believed to have been scrapped.

The boat in question is here

51.522204106720245, -0.4847683308528439

I actually think it might be a Long Boat not a short boat and there was a previous suggestion it could be the ATTRACTIVE.

May be getting mixed up though.

The defining clue to this boat is the bollard configuation on the bow deck in line with the B I T Fleet.

Roy. You could be right as I did not keep any record back in the 1970s, when boats were changing hands fairly regularly. There is a possibility that numbers were changed when at work for Hargreaves, though I cannot confirm this. Without checking the hull, it is all a little bit vague, and boat owners do not seem to like you sneeking up at night and scraping their paintwork off!

39 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Roy. You could be right as I did not keep any record back in the 1970s, when boats were changing hands fairly regularly. There is a possibility that numbers were changed when at work for Hargreaves, though I cannot confirm this. Without checking the hull, it is all a little bit vague, and boat owners do not seem to like you sneeking up at night and scraping their paintwork off!

I have on good authority from a guy who replated the bottom of this  boat the front 15 ft that it is  A 37

8 hours ago, magnetman said:

No. He wants ID of the blue L&L boat moored between Packet boat Marina and The Shovel pub at Uxbridge.

Thanks, I'm easily confused these days, and still not certain what the photos added.

Possibly this photo might be more useful?

L&L.png

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

Thanks, I'm easily confused these days, and still not certain what the photos added.

L&L.png

Thanks for the photo of the boat in question.

The photos I posted of the  A 40 was to show where the letter and  number would be situated on the boat on the Grand Union.

Hope that clarifies the situation for you.

Thank you for posting.

18 hours ago, royg said:

This blue hulled boat is moored by Cowley Lake on the Grand Union Canal. I am convinced it is one of the seven original British Isles Transportn Company Limited (Ranks) Boats The existence of four of this fleet I am aware of, so I think it is either A 36 or A 38 or A 42.

For i.d purposes the letter and numbers are stamped on either side of the Bow and on the Port Side of the Stern end.

Various posters on thie  forum have suggested this is A 38.

So an appeal ro all you boat owners in the vicinity near Cowley Lake to get up close to this boat to i.d. it, or better still if the owner can confirm which boat this is.received_1975253119239222.jpeg.3bf43551426f343899fa2206c98819f7.jpeg

Another photo of the location of the letter plus numbers stamped on the stern end under the white paint.

received_195339998069731.jpeg

Is that someone diving off the back?

10 hours ago, zenataomm said:

L&L.png

This photo, and zenataomm's post, does suggest that it is A37. A38 was bought by Albert Blundell circa 1953, and as he delivered to Trafford Park Power Stn, where the coal was unloaded by suction, he did not remove the coamings, as happened on all the other A boats, which served Whitebirk PS. So where is A38?

On 28/09/2022 at 08:50, Pluto said:

. So where is A38?

I saw a wine red painted L&L Shortboat a few years ago quite well hidden at BJ Woods floating drydocks in Isleworth on the Thames.

I don't know which boat it was or whether it is still there but the google satellite view shows a possible match. May have just been in for works but it was behind the floating docks giving the impression of being always moored there.

51.46809810721728, -0.32127342597231606

IT WAS APPROXIMATELY THIS COLOUR