How Much!!!

frangar

Featured Posts

Im guessing its been overplated and its certainly got a trendy london interior that appeals to those wanting a flat that floats rather than a boat that travels but even so!!

Seeing what sells at somewhere like ABNB is interesting....it seems back cabins and a proper engine count for little even when in a shell from a top rate builder....yet paint a bit of sterling board in white emulsion and they go in an instant. Apparently the lack of appeal of back cabins is why its now hard to find brass fittings in places like Midland Chandlers....everyone wants chrome or stainless....sad times for a traditionalist like myself. 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

and have you seen the price of pianos that you cannot remove? 

Yes!

Sadly proper pianos are virtually worthless nowadays, unless they are something special like previously owned by someone famous or built by a top flight maker, e.g. Steinway. One usually has the pay to dispose of them, rather than sell them.

Maybe the whole boat sale is a fiendish scheme to get rid of it. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes!

Sadly proper pianos are virtually worthless nowadays, unless they are something special like previously owned by someone famous or built by a top flight maker, e.g. Steinway. One usually has the pay to dispose of them, rather than sell them.

Anyone remember those piano-smashing competitions where they had to be broken up and passed through a circular ring? I'm thinking porthole here... 😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes!

So very true. My best mate, a World class musician moved house just last week. He has several large instruments one being a very nice proper, grand piano. H ehas moved to a smaller house and something had to go. He did indeed give the piano away to a young student. People these days seem to think modern always means better :(

Just now, Athy said:

This boat is also advertised on Apollo Duck. I think its location - apparently in a backwater of the River Lee/Lea - has raised the price. Whether the mooring comes with the boat I don't know.

There wasn't any mention of a mooring in the ad I saw....which would explain the price and indeed add to the desirability...so I thought you would mention it if it was included.

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

People these days seem to think modern always means better :(

So, very not true. My son after a fair amount of searching bought a new corner unit settee for DFS. Paid over the odds, in my view, and now less than six months old the arms are loose, seats sagging and a really lost its shape. Very sad. Would have done better to but via one of the Charity Furniture shops. Even if he had to re-cover it.

• Greenie 1

Priced as a small house rather than a boat and where do you find a house these days for that sort of money? Its a mad world. I'm going to invest in some cardboard boxes, after the daft budget thingy I reckon a decent cardboard box under a desirable railway arch could be worth a fortune.

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

There wasn't any mention of a mooring in the ad I saw....which would explain the price and indeed add to the desirability...so I thought you would mention it if it was included.

I had another look. You're right. I recently looked at all their Springers for sale, and there must have been another one which had a River Lee/Lea mooring. I have trawled through the exhaustive (and exhausting) description, and it does mention that the boat is in London, but as you say it doesn't mention a permanent mooring.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

So, very not true. My son after a fair amount of searching bought a new corner unit settee for DFS. Paid over the odds, in my view, and now less than six months old the arms are loose, seats sagging and a really lost its shape. Very sad. Would have done better to but via one of the Charity Furniture shops. Even if he had to re-cover it.

DFS are rubbish, surprised he didn't know. But he should get his money bach, not for for purpose.

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I had my leather furniture reupholstered and recovered for this very reason. Cost about the same as new furniture from one of the big furniture warehouses, but hopefully should outlast me.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

I had my leather furniture reupholstered and recovered for this very reason. Cost about the same as new furniture from one of the big furniture warehouses, but hopefully should outlast me.

We did similar on moving. Colour did not suit new decor and, in any case, the covering was a tad jaded. Recovering was not cheap but I do find it hard to find a suite that is comfortable - I need a good neck/head rest. Incidentally, when visiting the Lancaster Canal a week or so back we were amused to discover the factory where the re-covering is done!