Narrowboat office space

RichM

Featured Posts

I'm thinking/dreaming about my next narrowboat! Not going to happen any time soon but always good to get ideas.

One thing my last boat lacked was office space. My dinette had to make do, wasn't great for posture nor working space given I use a laptop + 2 additional screens.

Interested to see any photos from members who have a usable office space aboard their narrowboat. Any ideas for the future would be great!

Cheers

No photo and I've not tried this myself, but could be worth investigating the standing desk concept? Claimed to be better for posture and can mitigate the health problems that arise from being sendentary. Also potentially space saving, which would be great for a boat. Wall hang the screens, fold out, adjustable angle desk shelf for laptop and notpad, pens etc. At the end of the day, put away laptop and fold desk against wall, so the space can be regained. Maybe a bar stool for the occasional sit down, so sat at a similar height.

Jen

A sideways thought -

(It seems daft to me that folks mount a large screen TV under the gunnel and watch from dead opposite  - less than six feet away - bad for your eyesight)

On our boat I mounted a 27" TV on a tilting bracket, pull the TV outat an angle and watch programmes from the comfort of the pullman setee with the correct viewing distance and angle. when boating the TV is folded back (nearly) flat against the wall and we can get on with boating....

edit:

Loads on ebay -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353127544093?hash=item52380ab51d:g:V2wAAOSwqQpeCrr9&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4LEoTS6sFTc9Vd14ohLo%2B16R64KFiaXV3s2OM9pQru42iWfxebVpJwq4COjgj8UyKXyowCg0ELP2yXCTC%2F%2Fi%2F5L6k1ZwmbVAJCsC1Ja6TSBeHGNmv7Aw943DCaQeiYwvQgaWyfQhg%2FDqqL%2FCDuUb7RlpZdrX5BEhHMxuaiEPKcf7LNtN7fWKohqGbN9CNrS1JmG4L3zzhqtrOxPbl%2FFqXJDAxJPuTWsJ5%2BcmGfKqfJsw%2BoZ8dvzLyymUhF%2BgtQd4fQPNVaGOE6J1wmhfkl3j1fbrq13T%2BbkW6uE1KSFZHkHz|tkp%3ABk9SR7qM6uXvYA

Edited by OldGoat

11 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

A sideways thought -

(It seems daft to me that folks mount a large screen TV under the gunnel and watch from dead opposite  - less than six feet away - bad for your eyesight)

On our boat I mounted a 27" TV on a tilting bracket, pull the TV outat an angle and watch programmes from the comfort of the pullman setee with the correct viewing distance and angle. when boating the TV is folded back (nearly) flat against the wall and we can get on with boating....

edit:

Loads on ebay -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353127544093?hash=item52380ab51d:g:V2wAAOSwqQpeCrr9&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4LEoTS6sFTc9Vd14ohLo%2B16R64KFiaXV3s2OM9pQru42iWfxebVpJwq4COjgj8UyKXyowCg0ELP2yXCTC%2F%2Fi%2F5L6k1ZwmbVAJCsC1Ja6TSBeHGNmv7Aw943DCaQeiYwvQgaWyfQhg%2FDqqL%2FCDuUb7RlpZdrX5BEhHMxuaiEPKcf7LNtN7fWKohqGbN9CNrS1JmG4L3zzhqtrOxPbl%2FFqXJDAxJPuTWsJ5%2BcmGfKqfJsw%2BoZ8dvzLyymUhF%2BgtQd4fQPNVaGOE6J1wmhfkl3j1fbrq13T%2BbkW6uE1KSFZHkHz|tkp%3ABk9SR7qM6uXvYA

Why is watching a TV from less than six feet away bad for your eyesight?

If this was the case then the time people spend staring at PC monitors a couple of feet away or smartphones less than a foot away would mean we should all be going blind...

• Greenie 1

Been doing it for 20 odd years now. That's a 27" monitor required for work, although I confess to the occasional bit of catch up TV! When boating etc it simply folds flat against the back cabin side with a cover over it. Track pad and keyboard are wireless so along with various other peripherals they all get tucked away when eating or cooking. It's worked far better than I ever expected and the mounting arm is an inexpensive Amazon basics model.

IMG_6514.JPG

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

No photo and I've not tried this myself, but could be worth investigating the standing desk concept? Claimed to be better for posture and can mitigate the health problems that arise from being sendentary. Also potentially space saving, which would be great for a boat. Wall hang the screens, fold out, adjustable angle desk shelf for laptop and notpad, pens etc. At the end of the day, put away laptop and fold desk against wall, so the space can be regained. Maybe a bar stool for the occasional sit down, so sat at a similar height.

Jen

Indeed, @RichM could undertake a trial at the bar of his local pub to see if he gets on with the standing position for several hours before making a commitment. 🤣🍻

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

2 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Been doing it for 20 odd years now. That's a 27" monitor required for work, although I confess to the occasional bit of catch up TV! When boating etc it simply folds flat against the back cabin side with a cover over it. Track pad and keyboard are wireless so along with various other peripherals they all get tucked away when eating or cooking. It's worked far better than I ever expected and the mounting arm is an inexpensive Amazon basics model.

IMG_6514.JPG

If only Apple made a  lace edged screen for the boat back cabin market.

Standard Pullman dinette and a laptop works for me. Can also use as standing desk or switch to working on my lap if I worry about posture.

If I actually needed twin monitors I'd probably invest in movable arm to hold them above the desk, a bigger version of the one in Up-Side-Down's pic