Best chandlers

Northener

Featured Posts

What kind of things do you need? Some things are practical to buy online (assuming you have a delivery address) but others are either too big or you want to select on quality - wooden poles for example.

Alec

19 minutes ago, Northener said:

I am based on the upper Thames near Lechlade. Having just bought the boat I need several bits and pieces. There are no nearby chandlers so I know I will have to drive some distance to find one. Any recommendations?

Your nearest chandler with massive stocks for canal boats on the shelf is Midland Chandlers at Braunston.

Smaller chandlers around your way focused on GRP boats are mostly on the Thames itself. Sheridan Marine at Moulsford, Vat Wyatt at Wargrave, and there is a reasonable chandler on the waterfront at Abingdon. 

There are probably others but I can't think of them right now. 

Edited by MtB

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Your nearest chandler with massive stocks for canal boats on the shelf is Midland Chandlers at Braunston.

Smaller chandlers around your way focused on GRP boats are mostly on the Thames itself. Sheridan Marine at Moulsford, Vat Wyatt at Wargrave, and there is a reasonable chandler on the waterfront at Abingdon. 

There are probably others but I can't think of them right now. 

The one at Abingdon is now a cafe and the outboard centre is a house 

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

How about Uxbridge Boat Centre? When at home (Reading)  I tended to use them if Sheridan did not have what I wanted.

Seconded - I have not used them that recently, but have always found them well stocked, and to actually understand the products they are selling, (the latter being what differentiates them from Midland Chandlers!)

15 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Midland Chandlers latest owners seem to have reduced the range of products they stock. It could be down to supply issues but on a recent visit I got the impression that staff morale was rather low.

Yes, I got that feeling on my recent visit to the Braunston branch. I wouldn't like to comment on staff morale but I was a bit surprised that they had no 10-40W oil on the shelf. I had to ride to Halfords at Daventry to get some. 

When I lived in Bristol I found Force 4 was excellent and convenient (located at the Marina) but I understand they have closed that branch what with covid and other things.

10 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I like Limekiln but for some reason its cheaper to buy from them on the auction site than direct. They must make less money but its there choice.

make less money?  ....... take less money but with minimal overheads it may show bigger profits.

Edited by Murflynn

16 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I like Limekiln but for some reason its cheaper to buy from them on the auction site than direct. They must make less money but its there choice.

Limekiln is my favourite online chandler too but their website is god awful so I hesitate to recommend them........they are usually very good on price though.  

1 minute ago, booke23 said:

Limekiln is my favourite online chandler too but their website is god awful so I hesitate to recommend them........they are usually very good on price though.  

Agreed but it makes no sense for them to sell the same item cheaper on ebay than direct on their own site when they ship from the same place, pack the same and pay ebay and paypal fees. Still I should worry, if they want it that way so be it.

16 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I don’t dislike Linekiln. Ordered a number of items from them. No issues.

On 26/09/2022 at 08:41, Northener said:

I am based on the upper Thames near Lechlade. Having just bought the boat I need several bits and pieces. There are no nearby chandlers so I know I will have to drive some distance to find one. Any recommendations?

Try these people, very helpful https://store.ukboatyard.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=60&page=4

36 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I understand that many chandleries are owned by the same group.  Can anyone provide details?  Are Midland and ASAP connected?

Yes Midland, ASAP and Aquafax are all owned by the Arleigh group which itself is a supplier of parts to the caravan/motorhome industry. The Arleigh group is was bought by the LKQ corporation (who own Euro Car Parts etc) a few years ago.  

4 hours ago, booke23 said:

Yes Midland, ASAP and Aquafax are all owned by the Arleigh group which itself is a supplier of parts to the caravan/motorhome industry. The Arleigh group is was bought by the LKQ corporation (who own Euro Car Parts etc) a few years ago.  

which is really annoying, especially when you have to order parts from ASAP because Midland Chandlers do not stock that make of water temp guage