Audlem food !

haggis

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

...so long as you don't enquire too closely about what's in them... 😉

Ah, a Sassenach who doesn't appreciate our national dish. Having helped my mother make them I know what is in them but I must admit that my favourite haggis is now the one you get in a tartan tin. Unless I am at a Burns supper where the haggis is specially made by a local butcher. I  still remember  seeing haggis on the menu Inthe Plough at Huddlesford and it came with gravy !!!  Such sacrilege 

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

Ah, a Sassenach who doesn't appreciate our national dish. Having helped my mother make them I know what is in them but I must admit that my favourite haggis is now the one you get in a tartan tin. Unless I am at a Burns supper where the haggis is specially made by a local butcher. I  still remember  seeing haggis on the menu Inthe Plough at Huddlesford and it came with gravy !!!  Such sacrilege 

No, I *love* haggis (and black pudding) -- but I know people who've gone "yum, this is delicious" until they found out what went into (either of) them...

As for andouillettes, they should be buried in a hole in the ground and covered in quicklime... 😞

On 26/09/2022 at 11:36, Tonka said:

Problem with rural pubs is the lack of busses. The staff if they cannot drive rely on busses to get them to work. If they do not drive then they need someone else to drive them to and from work. 

When I'm Prime Minister (I'm 54,786,625th in line), you will not be allowed to finish schooling until you've passed your driving test.  It is one of the basic skills in life.  Some of course will go fruther and do a graduate degree in bus driving which will also help.  That only leaves the problem of being able to afford a gender-neutral, colour-insensitive, carbon-neutral, hedgehog-friendly vehicle to drive...

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Sacrilege indeed, haggis is best served with a wee dram poured over it.

Now that would be a waste of a good whisky!  Haggis is best with mashed tattles and turnips and a glass of malt to accompany it 

34 minutes ago, IanD said:

FTFY 🙂 🙂 🙂

Ugh! 

1 minute ago, haggis said:

Now that would be a waste of a good whisky!  Haggis is best with mashed tattles and turnips and a glass of malt to accompany it 

Ugh! 

It *was* a joke, you know... 😉

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, haggis said:

I am so relieved to hear that ! Curry sauce indeed 

However ignoring tradition but on the principle that anything that goes well with a well-seasoned proper sausage will also go well with haggis, there are lots of possibilities for those who don't like turnips -- for example traditional English accompaniments like mash and (proper!) onion gravy, or tarka daal with some spinach wilted into it... 😉

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

However ignoring tradition but on the principle that anything that goes well with a well-seasoned proper sausage will also go well with haggis, there are lots of possibilities for those who don't like turnips -- for example traditional English accompaniments like mash and (proper!) onion gravy, or tarka daal with some spinach wilted into it... 😉

There are some traditions you just don't ignore ! On the subject of sausages, I don't respond to that thread ,( too busy boating ) but I only buy them from butcher's who make their own. 

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

My father was Band Sergeant Major in the Scots Guards Band and that is how they used to eat haggis on Burns Night, so good enough for me. 😄

Just now, haggis said:

There are some traditions you just don't ignore ! On the subject of sausages, I don't respond to that thread ,( too busy boating ) but I only buy them from butcher's who make their own. 

I would agree, if I liked turnips and whisky as well as haggis... 😞

Our sausages come from our local butcher too.

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

My father was Band Sergeant Major in the Scots Guards Band and that is how they used to eat haggis on Burns Night, so good enough for me. 😄

Why not but I've never heard of that custom before. Must try it sometime 

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

To complicate things even further some areas e.g. Cumbria call Swedes turnips.

This is like worrying about whether the flames are red or yellow when the real problem is that your ar*e is on fire -- some of us think they *all* taste unpleasant... 😞

19 minutes ago, IanD said:

This is like worrying about whether the flames are red or yellow when the real problem is that your ar*e is on fire -- some of us think they *all* taste unpleasant... 😞

LOL.  I love Swede, Mrs J on the other hand is in your camp.

• 4 months later...

That's a shame but we weren't overly impressed  when we ate there just after it reopened last October. It was pricey which is fine if the food lives up to it but it didn't. it all seemed a bit pretentious and we did wonder how well it would do . 

53 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's a shame but we weren't overly impressed  when we ate there just after it reopened last October. It was pricey which is fine if the food lives up to it but it didn't. it all seemed a bit pretentious and we did wonder how well it would do . 

When we ate there earlier (before it closed the first time) it was a bit more expensive than many other pubs -- and I'm sure some would say the menu was a bit pretentious, if that means having some stuff a bit more adventurous and upmarket than standard pub grub -- but also very good, we thought it was well worth it. The Corn Mill in Llangollen was similar in both price and quality, and similarly full.

Then there are much more basic and cheaper (but still with good food and beer) pubs like the Bridge at Chirk Bank and the Willeymoor Lock. There's room for both types, depending on your preferences -- I like both... 😉

Pubs with over-hyped food and over-priced trendy beer -- take 'em away and bury 'em... 😞