Audlem food !

haggis

Featured Posts

We are setting out on Kelpie next week heading to Birmingham

As the T & M is going to be closed again it will be down the Shroppie and hopefully back up the T & M. 

What is the eating out situation in Audlem ? I read that the Shroppie Fly  is closed and that the pub/hotel up the road ( Lord something or other ) was changing hands . Is it closed or has it reopened ? 

Or is a visit to the butcher's in the village on the cards ? 

7 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

It has new licencees and is opening October 10th. Best of look to them.

Ah, we will be there before then . Our first plan was down the T & M and back up the Shroppie but we like many others have to change our plans. 

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

Yes, something like that :-). Sadly it seems to be closed . A pity as we liked to eat there

Last time we were there, the Shroppie was in the usual death throes and the Bridge wasn't doing food.  Tne Combermere was first choice anyway, but they couldn't do food, so they sent us over to the Indian takeaway and provided plates and cutlery so we could eat it in the pub! Nice folks, nice pub - sorry to see them leave.

The Bridge is a Marston's btw.

By an amazing coincidence Mrs H, I'm mooring tomorrow south of Nantwich- hopefully in the same spot I was in last year when you were going south on the Shroppie. 

If you are passing next week, and if time permits, do feel free to stop by for a catch up. I might even get hold of some decent beer for that young scoundrel Mr Haggis. 

(Also, I know its still officially summer in Scotland until Dec15th, but my advice would be to lay in a couple of bags of coal. I fear in a few days we will see a drop in night time temperatures).

The Lord Combermere used to have excellent -- if pricey -- food and beer, certainly the best in the village.

Whether the new licensees keep this up is a complete unknown, but I'd have thought they would be crazy not to -- because when we were there earlier this summer they were full and both the Shroppie Fly and the Bridge were almost empty...

5 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

Me and our friend Peter ate in the Bridge the other week and enjoyed it. The chippy is very good, they were queuing out the door when I went there in early July. Hope you enjoy your trip. See you soon

Thank you! Have you made it back onto the Macc yet ? At least when you get there you are not too far from your mooring, even if you can't get there yet.

12 minutes ago, haggis said:

Thank you! Have you made it back onto the Macc yet ? At least when you get there you are not too far from your mooring, even if you can't get there yet.

Yes, we have, thanks for asking. We are just hoping they reopen Bosley at some point this year, but at last the boat is iwithin commuting distance now

20 hours ago, haggis said:

We are setting out on Kelpie next week heading to Birmingham

As the T & M is going to be closed again it will be down the Shroppie and hopefully back up the T & M. 

What is the eating out situation in Audlem ? I read that the Shroppie Fly  is closed and that the pub/hotel up the road ( Lord something or other ) was changing hands . Is it closed or has it reopened ? 

Or is a visit to the butcher's in the village on the cards ? 

The weather’s taken a turn, maybe it’s time to keep a pot of something on the stove.
How about save the money on pub food and buy some good books from the Mill, then you can read them while drinking a glass of something while the pot of something cooks away.

• Greenie 1

Yes, it looks like we are getting into soup weather and with it getting dark so early I think most meals will be eaten on board. It is good to find out though if some of the places where we have previously enjoyed nice meals are still open. 

One of the joys of canal boating it sitting in the evening , glass in hand, with a good book at a cosy fire. 

• Greenie 1

Highly recommend both the chip shop and the Indian....which also does kebabs and pizzas....we ate from the both several times this year and really enjoyed it...both are also highly recommended by residents of Audlem that we know! The bridge had just been taken over by new landlady when we were there and the beer was kept well and very reasonably priced. 

• Greenie 1