Bank notes.

bizzard

Featured Posts

This is not about constipation. I expect most of you already know that £20 and £50 notes are being taken out of circulation on the 30th of this month, bank or spend your hoards quick or better still send em by registered post to me.  :)

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, bizzard said:

This is not about constipation. I expect most of you already know that £20 and £50 notes are being taken out of circulation on the 30th of this month, bank or spend your hoards quick or better still send em by registered post to me.  :)

only the paper ones

30 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

It will be more like the end of the year that the non-paper ones become worthless...

I'm reasonably sure you will still be able to swap a paper banknote for a plastic one at your bank or in a Post Office for a few years yet. 

In fact I'm not sure this facility ever expires. Them huge old white fivers that were worth about £100 in today's money can probably still be exchanged for a five quid note, should you wish. Although looking on ebay some of 'em seem to be worth up to £700! 

1 minute ago, buccaneer66 said:

What do I do with my platinum jubilee coin, it is literally 5oz of silver.

Send it to me. I'll send you a real plastic fiver by return.

More seriously, I'v an idea sterling silver is worth about £10 an ounce as scrap metal. Or rather, I decided each of my silver teaspoons is worth a tenner in metal. 

3 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

What do I do with my platinum jubilee coin, it is literally 5oz of silver.

image.png.5ed7edb5dfe1aca5da295f1c4d012bcd.png

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Send it to me. I'll send you a real plastic fiver by return.

More seriously, I'v an idea sterling silver is worth about £10 an ounce as scrap metal. Or rather, I decided each of my silver teaspoons is worth a tenner in metal. 

Silver Prices Per Ounce $18.92

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'm reasonably sure you will still be able to swap a paper banknote for a plastic one at your bank or in a Post Office for a few years yet. 

In fact I'm not sure this facility ever expires. Them huge old white fivers that were worth about £100 in today's money can probably still be exchanged for a five quid note, should you wish. Although looking on ebay some of 'em seem to be worth up to £700! 

Funnily enough I was in a bank queue recently and I overheard a discussion between a customer and a member of staff, something along the lines of, paraphrased...

"Its a bit embarrassing but I've got a amount of old bank notes I need to exchange"

" OK" says the member of bank staff "how much"

"30,000" says the customer 

Very quickly the customer was removed into a private room, I swear this is true

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Silver Prices Per Ounce $18.92

Blimey! At todays exchange rate of $1.08, I've nearly doubled my money! 

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Funnily enough I was in a bank queue recently and I overheard a discussion between a customer and a member of staff, something along the lines of, paraphrased...

"Its a bit embarrassing but I've got a amount of old bank notes I need to exchange"

It wasn't me. Honest. 

1 minute ago, buccaneer66 said:

7oz solid silver platinum jubilee coin.

Blasted phone has done it upside down.

I have other silver coins

20220924_205936.jpg.c8ef23df993074a24e48bce208d733fa.jpg20220924_205944.jpg.0abdb64c9dd401927d7dd35bd1f2f4ea.jpg

Gorgeous. Fantastic standard of manufacture and design.

I'll raise my offer to £5..01 for it....

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Gorgeous. Fantastic standard of manufacture and design.

I'll raise my offer to £5..01 for it....

I have a few more than that one Mike, the monster 50p piece is quite something, but the one I like the most is struck from material recovered from a crashed hurricane in central London, the pilot saved Buckingham Palace and the King by ramming a German bomber because he was out of ammo.

20 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I have a few more than that one Mike, the monster 50p piece is quite something, but the one I like the most is struck from material recovered from a crashed hurricane in central London, the pilot saved Buckingham Palace and the King by ramming a German bomber because he was out of ammo.

This sort of thing puts into perspective all the moaning about stuff like the government's income tax regime...

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Quote from gov.uk ...

All large cash deposits (above £6,500) can raise red flags. Even if you don’t make a single deposit of £6,500 but several smaller deposits into the account over a short period, the bank may see this as a part of the same transaction and regard it as suspicious activity.

In such cases, the bank can submit a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) department, accompanied by a currency transaction report (CTR).

They pretend it's all to do with fighting money laundering, yeah right!

I sold the family silver, years ago…    I think it was on the recommendation of somebody called Brown?

Just a thought, how would a narrowboat made from silver not steel fare as regards durability, corrosion, etc?

Edited by system 4-50

2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I sold the family silver, years ago…    I think it was on the recommendation of somebody called Brown?

Just a thought, how would a narrowboat made from silver not steel fare as regards durability, corrosion, etc?

Two immediate probs spring to mind:

1) Silver is FAR softer and more ductile than steel so rigidity of a silver shell would be quite a problem.

2) There would be a tendency for people to hacksaw lumps off it to weigh in for scrap, given the metal is worth $18 an ounce. 

12 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Quote from gov.uk ...

All large cash deposits (above £6,500) can raise red flags. Even if you don’t make a single deposit of £6,500 but several smaller deposits into the account over a short period, the bank may see this as a part of the same transaction and regard it as suspicious activity.

In such cases, the bank can submit a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) department, accompanied by a currency transaction report (CTR).

They pretend it's all to do with fighting money laundering, yeah right!

Indeed. Around 1982 cash deposits raised a red flag at £2000 according to Hastings Lil an old girl friend of mine who worked at NatWest Eastbourne. She also gave me a comemorative coin of Prince Charles and Diana's wedding, still in it's plastic case, mint, unopened.

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Brown jawed a lot, he has a loose jaw.