EA to Ban Construction Industry from Using HVO

cuthound

Featured Posts

In a perfect example of muddled governmental thinking the Environment Agency have banned the Construction Industry from using HVO from 30th September 2022 because of concerns that it is not always as environmentally friendly as claimed, whilst the Department for Transport continues to recommend its use.

One possible benefit is that it will release more supplies for boaters, where the longevity without deteriorating is a big benefit as well as it's "greenness" when made from suitable feedstock.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/environment-agency-puts-blocks-on-hvo%3famp=1

Not quite as bad as described. EA have banned contractors on their own sites from using it, while they carry it a review. The OP suggested it had been banned from all construction sites.

But if it is banned from all construction use, I doubt that will make more available for boaters. Quite the reverse. With no construction industry to supply, the producers  won't make any.

I heard that suppliers have stopped supplying red HVO due to the market now being much smaller since the law changed on who could use rebated fuels.

The construction industry has been using white HVO as a way of improving their environmental credentials  but the cost must be horrendous.

Our only hope is that the industry finally manages to convince the government to allow red HVO to be used in domestic heating systems, then the demand would make it viable for tankers to carry it again.

Keith

5 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Is it cleaner to use or just cleaner to produce?

Dunno. I simply quoted the words from the internet. No doubt if I had investigated further, I would have found half a dozen conflicting views.

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Is it cleaner to use or just cleaner to produce?

It really is very good. Its cleaner in CO2 terms because it is renewable, though I think it needs quite a bit of energy to make it. It is also significantly cleaner to use, it produces much less particulates and should reduce NOx. I can't confirm the NOx but it has significantly reduced the smoke from my engine.

29 minutes ago, dmr said:

It really is very good. Its cleaner in CO2 terms because it is renewable, though I think it needs quite a bit of energy to make it. It is also significantly cleaner to use, it produces much less particulates and should reduce NOx. I can't confirm the NOx but it has significantly reduced the smoke from my engine.

Can you see dangerous particulates?

In addition HVO has a longer shelf life than  diesel with bio fuel content and HVO doesn't appear to be prone to diesel  bug .

It seems to me  a healthier fuel from a boating / environmental perspective providing its manufacture doesn't compete with food crops and providing rain forest are not being cut down to grow palm oil in order to make HVO.

The idea being to use waste vegetable matter and waste cooking oil.

HVO was and probably still is  more expensive than mineral diesel which makes it a difficult sell to the marine industry which is both tight fisted and slow to adopt  new ideas.

Edited by MartynG
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

In addition HVO has a longer shelf life than  diesel with bio fuel content and HVO doesn't appear to be prone to diesel  bug .

It seems to me  a healthier fuel from a boating / environmental perspective providing its manufacture doesn't compete with food crops and providing rain forest ate not being cut down to grow palm oil in order to make HVO.

The idea being to use waste vegetable matter and waste cooking oil.

HVO was and probably still is  more expensive than mineral diesel which makes it a difficult sell to the marine industry canal boating community which is both tight fisted and slow to adopt  new ideas.

FTFY 🙂

Edited by IanD

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

I

HVO was and probably still is  more expensive than mineral diesel which makes it a difficult sell to the marine industry which is both tight fisted and slow to adopt  new ideas.

I had a quote based on 1000 litres and HVO was 1p per litre more than 'dino-diesel'.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I had a quote based on 1000 litres and HVO was 1p per litre more than 'dino-diesel'.

I would be happy to pay the extra 1p per litre if the HVO fuel was available from the pump at the marina.

It's great stuff froma usage point of view and I'd be more than happy to stock it at 1p a litre more than conventional diesel, but the last time I got a quote (on 2300ltrs) it was 25p a litre more, and there was still a distinct lack of clarity (in my mind at least) around the tax situation.

1 hour ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

It's great stuff froma usage point of view and I'd be more than happy to stock it at 1p a litre more than conventional diesel, but the last time I got a quote (on 2300ltrs) it was 25p a litre more, and there was still a distinct lack of clarity (in my mind at least) around the tax situation.

After giving me a price indication my supplier came back to me and said that 'Red' HVO was not available in my area (it will be 'soon') with their refinery at Stanlow / Ellesmere Port supplying the Red - so - only trucks with delivery rounds based from Stanlow were currently supplying Red.

Apparently they are also servicing the 'South' with Red but she didn't know how far North the 'South' delivered to,

Price for HVO White is around 197ppl

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

After giving me a price indication my supplier came back to me and said that 'Red' HVO was not available in my area (it will be 'soon') with their refinery at Stanlow / Ellesmere Port supplying the Red - so - only trucks with delivery rounds based from Stanlow were currently supplying Red.

Apparently they are also servicing the 'South' with Red but she didn't know how far North the 'South' delivered to,

Price for HVO White is around 197ppl

I paid £1-79 for white today retail

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The price was a couple or three weeks ago.

I paid £1.73 for 'Garage White' Diesel yesterday (Bangor, North Wales)

I went to South Wales just over a week ago. 

Fuel was at least 10p per litre cheaper than in England.