Sweet and sour recipe hunt!

JugaarLife

Featured Posts

Anyone managed to perfect this? I've tried several times and the results have been rubbish, to be perfectly honest! Always ends up tasting like a poor version of the sauce in the polystyrene cup from the Chinese poured over everything, but from the Chinese you avoid rather than a good one (since I actually like that sauce!)

Any delicious sweet and sour tips, send 'em this way! And in exchange I'll try and think of something I actually cook well...

I just buy a small bottle of sweet chilli sauce, and add tomato sauce in some guise. I agree it never quite tastes the same, but corn starch is essential.

I think shallots are better than standard onions, and Tilda jasmine rice not basmati.

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

I just buy a small bottle of sweet chilli sauce, and add tomato sauce in some guise. I agree it never quite tastes the same, but corn starch is essential.

I think shallots are better than standard onions, and Tilda jasmine rice not basmati.

Ooh, interesting! Never tried that, I'm going to give it a go! I love shallots. Never occured to me to try them with this. I shall! 

21 hours ago, JugaarLife said:

but from the Chinese you avoid rather than a good one (since I actually like that sauce!)

Me too! 

Actually I always imagined it was monosodium glutamate mixed with a bit of sugar and water. 

Back in the day when I was boracic I took a job driving a delivery van. I used to deliver MSG by the tonne in 50kg sacks to dodgy-looking Chinese restaurants.