Specific question re Planar enclosed heater internal fuel pipe replacement Flared?

reg

Featured Posts

Trawled through a number of threads on this but cannot find a specific answer to the question;

Planar enclosed heater internal fuel pipe replacement,

Does the replacement fuel pipe need to he flared?

Will i need need any new bolts (bolts?)? If so what size.

I'm happy that everything else is done to standard but feel free to reiterate any other info as may be worth repeating for others.

53 minutes ago, reg said:

Trawled through a number of threads on this but cannot find a specific answer to the question;

Planar enclosed heater internal fuel pipe replacement,

Does the replacement fuel pipe need to he flared?

Will i need need any new bolts (bolts?)? If so what size.

I'm happy that everything else is done to standard but feel free to reiterate any other info as may be worth repeating for others.

I have to say I don't think I quite understand the question. Any component of a diesel heater you are replacing needs to be a manufacturer-approved spare part. It should then fit and work correctly.

Ok replacing plastic fuel pipe with metal pipe, no manufacturer's part available, people have apparently done it, just want to know if i need a pipe flare kit before i dismantle heater.

To meet standards pipework needs to be metal. I love the heater, I will be keeping it, just need to make it comply like i have with the other components.

5 minutes ago, reg said:

Ok replacing plastic fuel pipe with metal pipe, no manufacturer's part available, people have apparently done it, just want to know if i need a pipe flare kit before i dismantle heater.

To meet standards pipework needs to be metal. I love the heater, I will be keeping it, just need to make it comply like i have with the other components.

IS this pipe within the heater itself, or pipe from the diesel supply to the heater?

23 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

IS this pipe within the heater itself, or pipe from the diesel supply to the heater?

Within, every thing else is done. Just trying to find out in advance before i disconnect and open up.

Heater in slightly awkward spot so only want to open up once if possible, forward planning.

Not sure I understand exactly what pipe you're replacing, any chance of some pics?

I don't know why you'd want to flare a pipe unless it has a union, then you'd flare it to match the union.  I don't know of any Webasto 'style' diesel heater that use unions as standard...

9 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

Not sure I understand exactly what pipe you're replacing, any chance of some pics?

I don't know why you'd want to flare a pipe unless it has a union, then you'd flare it to match the union.  I don't know of any Webasto 'style' diesel heater that use unions as standard...

To add - there are at least two or three types of flairs formed on the end of pipes so until the thing is apart no one can know whic one it uses, if any.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

To add - there are at least two or three types of flairs formed on the end of pipes so until the thing is apart no one can know whic one it uses, if any.

Ok many thanks Tony its probably the answer I was expecting but hoping  could be avoided.

The ones I have opened have plastic pipes connected with rubber pipe sections which may or may not be to any accepted standard for diesel fuel, and spring type hose clips. No flares on anything.

I take it that you wish to replace the inferior plastic pipe sections with 3/16" metal brake pipe.

Does this help?

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The ones I have opened have plastic pipes connected with rubber pipe sections which may or may not be to any accepted standard for diesel fuel, and spring type hose clips. No flares on anything.

I take it that you wish to replace the inferior plastic pipe sections with 3/16" metal brake pipe.

Does this help?

Thanks that sounds reasonable. Il have to check the wording of the standards to see if the rubber pipes are acceptable.

I am hoping that with luck my left over webasto fuel pipe may fit.

Might be one of those jobs that takes 5 minutes or might be a 3 week job that requires sourcing a 3/17th left-handed upside down PT grommet.

Interesting BSS examination point

Requirement

"Can fuel hoses and their connections be seen and reached?,"

Question

Does that include pipes that are internally. Connected?

might have to leave it with the cover off for the inspection if yes.

I'm primarily interested with safety so not trying to bypass anything just interpret the requirement.

46 minutes ago, David Mack said:

In BSS terms can't you argue that it is an internal component of the device as originally manufactured, so not subject to BSS requirements for fuel lines?

This is what I was driving at when I asked what standard the OP believes demands replacement of the tube.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

In BSS terms can't you argue that it is an internal component of the device as originally manufactured, so not subject to BSS requirements for fuel lines?

I personally could make that argument but I dont know if it has ever held up. 

Has anyone actually been through this with all in one enclosed Chinese Planar heaters and if so what was the result?

To be perfectly honest I have looked online and have found only a very small number of deaths attributed to these heaters, might be similar situation to when instant LPG water heaters were banned only to be I believe reinstated when it was realised that they hadnt actualy caused any real problems.

26 minutes ago, reg said:

I personally could make that argument but I dont know if it has ever held up. 

Has anyone actually been through this with all in one enclosed Chinese Planar heaters and if so what was the result?

To be perfectly honest I have looked online and have found only a very small number of deaths attributed to these heaters, might be similar situation to when instant LPG water heaters were banned only to be I believe reinstated when it was realised that they hadnt actualy caused any real problems.

I have seen one that stopped working because the heat caused the internal plastic fuel pipe to crimp closed on a bend. Its pretty poor pipe.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have seen one that stopped working because the heat caused the internal plastic fuel pipe to crimp closed on a bend. Its pretty poor pipe.

I have the correct metal pipe so will be changing it. I think the rubber pipe connector sections seem favourite at the momment, proper quality rubber, short run only should do the trick.

28 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If it had ever come up in a BSS examination I reckon we would have heard about it here by now. If this is a new  heater, then the second you change the pipe you will have invalidated any warrantee it might have.

Can't win can you.🙄

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If it had ever come up in a BSS examination I reckon we would have heard about it here by now. If this is a new  heater, then the second you change the pipe you will have invalidated any warrantee it might have.

Do these Russian Planar rip-off copies of legitimate heaters come with some sort of warranty now then? 

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

Do these Russian Planar rip-off copies of legitimate heaters come with some sort of warranty now then? 

I have no idea. Hence the word "might" regarding any warranty.

The only one of these sorts of heaters I've seen the insides of is a Chinese knock off of the Russian knock off!

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I have no idea. Hence the word "might" regarding any warranty.

The only one of these sorts of heaters I've seen the insides of is a Chinese knock off of the Russian knock off!

Same here, and mine is built really nicely. I stripped it down to its smallest components before fitting it to satisfy myself it ws safe to use. No plastic pipes inside it anywhere AFAICR. 

I guess if the Russian one fails under warranty Mr Putin would insist on the manu sending a new one. He has a reputation to maintain, don'tcher think?

22 hours ago, MtB said:

guess if the Russian one fails under warranty Mr Putin would insist on the manu sending a new one. He has a reputation to maintain, don'tcher think?

The manufacturer has probably just been drafted and is trying to work out which end of a gun the bullets come out of. 😱