C&RT Review of 'Facilities' provision

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

On my first canal holiday in 1976, one of the boats we hired that had elsan loos, was provided with a spade, which was to be used to dig a hole at a convenient towpath-side location if no emptying facilities were available. Due to the severely-restricted lock opening hours of that year's drought, and stuck in a pound with no facilities, we had to do so mid-week.  Let's hope those days don't return. 

9 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Since the piece cites vandalism is of buildings as a problem, I suggest making more Elsan points of the outdoor variety. They are by far the most pleasant to use anyway, since they're so well ventilated.

MP.

Well they are well ventilated but also the easiest to vandalise as the access is so easy, both to the bowl and the pipework.  I remember the one near Autherly junction, a couple of hundred metres up the Shroppie.  It was more out of order than working, now it has gone.  The one by the A45 road bridge in Braunston is similar, though that is mistreatment by users I think.

N

Last time I was in Minworth, all the facilities were nailed up.

The lack of any sort of facilities on the western end of the T&M is disgraceful.  No Elsan or pump out places, no skips, till you get to Anderton.

Last decent showers at the tunnel or Red Bull which C&RT are selling off so that will go too.

Anyone moored in Middlewich has a long way to go before the loo can be emptied or the bin dumped.

Don’t think there was ever an Elsan at Barbridge. The tap and bins have long gone, but there are nice new signs limiting mooring to 30 mins “for access to the services”. 

Elsan at Plants Lock went when the Red Bull service block opened. Tyrley seems unlikely to reopen, Hurleston has gone (there was an “aspiration” to open a new one before Grindley Brook), and the drainage at Anderton is unreliable.

11 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

e. There's a disused Elsan by one locks on the way in (maybe Chemistry?) but ideally something in Christleton would be best.

Thats the one I was thinking of

11 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

It's crazy that there's no elsan facilty in Middlewich. 

CRT will claim there is one available at the boat yard (at a cost)

28 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is there? When I broke down in Middlewich I had to bike trailer my cassette to Wheelock to empty it. I think the boatyard only do pump-outs (since that is what is on their boats) but I'm willing to be corrected

13 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Interesting that CRT only maintain 65 Elsan points on the entire system. I wonder how many there were ten years ago.

I was really surprised that CRT has more pump out than elsans.  I guess I don’t notice pump outs but it is hard to think of many locations with one.

12 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

You're maybe thinking about the rubbish point and tap at Barbridge Junction? The Shroppie around there is pretty good for facilities: it's not far between Nantwich and Calverley. I think the tap at the junction was nominally replaced with on above the first lock on the branch.

MP.

Yes, I think the tap at Barbridge was stopped because the nearby house owner discovered that it was coming from his property and, quite rightly, didn't like paying for boaters to use his water.

I believe the rubbish point was scrapped because of difficulty accessing the site over bridge 101(?)

I could, of course, be wrong.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Which boat yard?  Middlewich narrowboats is non existent and Andersons will not allow, they have their own pump out only.

King's Lock has no facility at all.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

image.png.a2205a990f175a305ddc7e14a1160601.png

That's the old Middlewich Narrowboats site, isn't it? It looks as though it is being operated as a co-operative after Paul Donnelly acquired the vacant site, it doesn't say when it re-opened for business though. I'm pretty sure last time I passed through there was only one narrow boat hire company operating in Middlewich, and it wasn't them.

46 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

That's the old Middlewich Narrowboats site, isn't it? It looks as though it is being operated as a co-operative after Paul Donnelly acquired the vacant site, it doesn't say when it re-opened for business though. I'm pretty sure last time I passed through there was only one narrow boat hire company operating in Middlewich, and it wasn't them.

About 2 years

43 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

It is the old Middlewich Narrowboats site, and they do have an Elsan point, but whether they charge I don’t know. I’ve seen it open once or twice at festival time. Although when we came through late morning today, everything was shut up.

17 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

The water and elsan at the top of Tyrley flight on the shroppie has been out of use for at least a couple of years. I don't know if it's been formally abandoned.

MP.

I'm pretty sure someone was filling up with water when I passed a few weeks ago. I don't know about the Elsan.

23 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

It is the old Middlewich Narrowboats site, and they do have an Elsan point, but whether they charge I don’t know. I’ve seen it open once or twice at festival time. Although when we came through late morning today, everything was shut up.

I think it was £2 but may have been more as I was surprised at the time, can't remember where I read it, maybe last time I boated past