Etiquette when moored

nobow

Featured Posts

Hi all new to boating life, we moved aboard 3 weeks ago and still getting used to being liveaboards and loving it, we are moored in marina for the next year whilst we settle in and get everything sorted.

Question: As we are moored in the marina as residents we have a neighbour that uses there boat a few times a month but not the same people using the boat every time, what is the the usuall response when they hit our boat when they leave or return to thier mooring?

Edited by nobow

5 minutes ago, nobow said:

what is the the usall response when they hit our boat when they leave or return to thier mooring?

1) "If you want to give me a call when you get back to the marina, I'll take the boat into its mooring if you like."

2) "If you'd like, I can take the boat out to the marina entrance for you, you can then jump on and be away."

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't be quite as tolerant as mrsmelly. The etiquette when you see someone trying to get their boat into a mooring near you is to get out of your own boat, stand at their pontoon and offer to take a rope.

If that doesn't stop them hitting your boat I'd definitely say something even if it's just a sarcastic comment along the lines of them improving their boat handling skills. It can be irritating if they keep hitting your boat.

7 minutes ago, nobow said:

Hi all new to boating life, we moved aboard 3 weeks ago and still getting used to being liveaboards and loving it, we are moored in marina for the next year whilst we settle in and get everything sorted.

Question: As we are moored in the marina as residents we have a neighbour that uses there boat a few times a month but not the same people using the boat every time, what is the the usuall response when they hit our boat when they leave or return to thier mooring?

Well it depends a bit on how hard they hit you and how easy it is to get in and out without hitting you. For example at our marina there are very long pontoons with maybe 8 boats along each side of each pontoon. Our boat is at the far end so we have to pass perhaps 6 boats. There is a couple of feet either side. Not a problem when exiting forwards, unless a boat is tied up really loosely and swings out to hit us. But reversing back in, from time to time we touch another boat with a "glancing blow" or slight scrape. If there is anybody on board we would mouth "sorry" but really, it is fairly inevitable and of course absolutely no damage is done, it is just mildly irritating for someone on board perhaps.

But if someone is ramming you hard without reasonable excuse, then it is less forgivable. It's all a matter of degree and circumstance. And after all, boats are meant to be cruised, not parked permanently in a marina (in my opinion!)

• Greenie 1

Thanks for the replies, just moving in we are still litterly moving in, we run a business so doing up our 57ft narrowboat will take time as a hands on person trying to do all the service work needed whilst weather permitting, Ive done a lot of research but not so on the Etiquette when stuff happens, a lot of other boaters i have met are nice and free to give information. I dont wish to make a storm out of a tea cup because lack of my knowledge.

15 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well it depends a bit on how hard they hit you and how easy it is to get in and out without hitting you. For example at our marina there are very long pontoons with maybe 8 boats along each side of each pontoon. Our boat is at the far end so we have to pass perhaps 6 boats. There is a couple of feet either side. Not a problem when exiting forwards, unless a boat is tied up really loosely and swings out to hit us. But reversing back in, from time to time we touch another boat with a "glancing blow" or slight scrape. If there is anybody on board we would mouth "sorry" but really, it is fairly inevitable and of course absolutely no damage is done, it is just mildly irritating for someone on board perhaps.

But if someone is ramming you hard without reasonable excuse, then it is less forgivable. It's all a matter of degree and circumstance. And after all, boats are meant to be cruised, not parked permanently in a marina (in my opinion!)

Dunno why,

But I always find it easier to drive straight in where you are. And reverse out. 
🤷‍♀️😃

as for hitting others, a gentle tap or knock can be inevitable but a thoughtless bang is not really on. 

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Dunno why,

But I always find it easier to drive straight in where you are. And reverse out. 
🤷‍♀️😃

as for hitting others, a gentle tap or knock can be inevitable but a thoughtless bang is not really on. 

We do occasionally drive in but it means the shore power inlet is at the wrong end, we have to get out the long cable and drape it all along the boat.

15 minutes ago, nobow said:

Thanks for the replies, just moving in we are still litterly moving in, we run a business so doing up our 57ft narrowboat will take time as a hands on person trying to do all the service work needed whilst weather permitting, Ive done a lot of research but not so on the Etiquette when stuff happens, a lot of other boaters i have met are nice and free to give information. I dont wish to make a storm out of a tea cup because lack of my knowledge.

I suppose the point is that it isn't like a car where any contact is not on, it is 6mm steel and thus quite hard to damage. But equally, it isn't a "contact sport".

With only a few inches between us and the next boat in our mooring it can be tricky getting in without a slight touch. We go in nose first and I step off with a rope as soon as the bows get to the pontoon then I can hold the bows in . We are extra careful as they have a fish tank on board ! 

Might be worth suggesting to your neighbours that they do something similar.

1 hour ago, nobow said:

Give them a tirade of foul-mouthed abuse perhaps?! 

I'd be inclined to side-step the problem by explaining the problem to the marina office and asking to change to a different mooring. 

This thing about different people using it suggests to me they might be hiring it out - which would definitely require the agreement of the marina. If they are hiring it out 'under the radar', then their insurance will be invalid and the marina will probably object. 

If they are consistently hitting you hard, I would speak to the marina owner/manager and ask them to speak to them . They can threaten eviction whereas if you speak to them and they are " tanked up " it may lead to a worsening of the situation. 

Could be a private syndicate shareboat, could be a large family that share the cost and use it at different times.

You could get some old car tyres to make into fenders to protect where the point of contact is, and as above have a word with the marina about moving to a less frequently used pontoon.

I’d like to say i glide into our mooring perfect every time, but i can’t :D 

I don;t want to be the newbie buecuse i am, the thing is if we are going to rammed because of family and friends of others i dont find that exceptable, no doubt i will clip others when  trying to moor but i will be a lot moor considerate and also apologetic if hiting someone eleses home.

Edited by nobow

A gentle touch is one thing but a ramming is not acceptable.  If it was a one off then fair enough but if it happening every time they go in and out then you either speak to the owners and suggest they be more careful or speak to the marina manager.  I usually reverse on to our mooring unless it is far too windy, I try to avoid all contact with the boat next to us by either fending off their boat with a hand or foot or stepping of our boat with a centre line.

Maybe adopt the pop out side approach when you see them approaching and make it fairly obvious you are watching them and make a comment if they hit you.

1 hour ago, nobow said:

I don;t want to be the newbie buecuse i am, the thing is if we are going to rammed because of family and friends of others i dont find that exceptable, no doubt i will clip others when  trying to moor but i will be a lot moor considerate and also apologetic if hiting someone eleses home.

It's perfectly in order to request to change to a different pontoon.

Being "rammed" as you put it is totally unacceptable. As others have said, a gentle bump os no big deal provided accompanied by a (sincere) apology but it sounds to me a lot worse than this and you need to do something about it, or this is gonna spoil your whole experience as a new boater. 

In a while you'll probably begin to wonder why you are staying in a marina, and how much nicer is is to be out on the cut. Either CCing or on an on-line CRT mooring. 

• Greenie 1

I normally reverse in, only failed once, That is because next time I come to the boat it may be blowing hard and I want to get out. One thing that intrigues me is the comment different people, is it a share boat by any chance? Also you have been there 3 weeks but the others use their boat a few times a month.

13 hours ago, nobow said:

I'd be in agreement with others who say being rammed is indeed totally unacceptable. Just to clarify though, are you being hit by the bows of the boat as they go past? for which there is little or no excuse, or are you being bumped by the side of their boat? for which astute fendering would resolve.

12 hours ago, MtB said:

It's perfectly in order to request to change to a different pontoon.

Being "rammed" as you put it is totally unacceptable. As others have said, a gentle bump os no big deal provided accompanied by a (sincere) apology but it sounds to me a lot worse than this and you need to do something about it, or this is gonna spoil your whole experience as a new boater. 

In a while you'll probably begin to wonder why you are staying in a marina, and how much nicer is is to be out on the cut. Either CCing or on an on-line CRT mooring. 

CCing, and indeed bankside on line moorings are vastly better than a marina mooring ( If you like boats anyway )

16 hours ago, nobow said:

How new? Have you ever been boating (in this new-to-you boat) as in, going on a canal/river and travelling with the boat, or are you just living on it?

Is the boat in perfect condition, or to put it another way, if they hit and put a scratch in it, could you take a photo of that evidence and it be clear that a boat hit it, or are there 2000 marks already on the boat and they did number 2001?

Or to put it another way still...have you suffered a loss because of this? Or is it simply the etiquette aspect? Not just boiled a pam filled to the brim with boiling water, etc? Personally I'd expect no contact at all but occasional 'kisses' occur in mooring up, not just in marinas but elsewhere. Much in the same way, that occasional contact occurs even when the best driver does a lock. Because that's the nature of canal boating. So its a grey area, and it depends on the severity of contact and the potential resulting damage, really.

Good debating topic, though.

ETA if you moor online, expect bigger "kisses", especially if you choose the really cheap mooring near a bridge or bend, etc.

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

One thing that intrigues me is the comment different people, is it a share boat by any chance? 

That was my thought as well, which would explain the frequency of different people on board,  but of course that is no excuse for too many bumps, or worse. 

Howard

I've been 20 years out here as a constant cruiser travelling pretty much every day, canals and rivers in all weathers and never hit a thing. There's no need to hit anything in my opinion. However some people don't take to piloting a boat quickly and you have to be understanding of that. However, sometimes when I'm hit, I'll come out and they'll look at me blankly without saying 'sorry', or make some lame excuse 'It's the wind!' (You can maneuver accounting for the wind, and even use it) or blame me ridiculously 'Well you shouldn't have been there!' But manners are the issue in a nutshell for me. Accept accidents happen, but they say 'sorry', or you give them both barrels, (you can do it without shouting in an unaggressive way that preserves your dignity) and if they do damage, they pay, which people weasel out of too. I installed cameras on my boat years ago.

And don't get me started on the etiquette of mooring up too close. 'Safety Parasites' I call them. If you haven't got the stones to moor up on your own out in the countryside at night, maybe this lifestyle isn't for you. But you'll just travel till you see a moored boat, without a thought for people that might want to be left alone. It's the reason some people do this lifestyle, for a bit of peace, to feel that wonder of being a million miles from everything. Even the guide book says 'if you see a boat on its own, maybe it wants to be left alone.' I could moor up on the moon and some pain in the stern would appear...and then put his engine on at 4 in the morning. 

13 minutes ago, RB-T said:

I've been 20 years out here as a constant cruiser travelling pretty much every day, canals and rivers in all weathers and never hit a thing. There's no need to hit anything in my opinion. However some people don't take to piloting a boat quickly and you have to be understanding of that. However, sometimes when I'm hit, I'll come out and they'll look at me blankly without saying 'sorry', or make some lame excuse 'It's the wind!' (You can maneuver accounting for the wind, and even use it) or blame me ridiculously 'Well you shouldn't have been there!' But manners are the issue in a nutshell for me. Accept accidents happen, but they say 'sorry', or you give them both barrels, (you can do it without shouting in an unaggressive way that preserves your dignity) and if they do damage, they pay, which people weasel out of too. I installed cameras on my boat years ago.

And don't get me started on the etiquette of mooring up too close. 'Safety Parasites' I call them. If you haven't got the stones to moor up on your own out in the countryside at night, maybe this lifestyle isn't for you. But you'll just travel till you see a moored boat, without a thought for people that might want to be left alone. It's the reason some people do this lifestyle, for a bit of peace, to feel that wonder of being a million miles from everything. Even the guide book says 'if you see a boat on its own, maybe it wants to be left alone.' I could moor up on the moon and some pain in the stern would appear...and then put his engine on at 4 in the morning. 

I would have to say that not to have hit anything involves a considerable element of luck. Some bumps are almost inevitable; anecdotally I hit another boat in Braunston Tunnel about 7 years ago. The boat was approaching with a very bright tunnel light that was totally blinding me, I could steer by looking along the starboard side and using the boat to shade my eyes, what I didn't see until I hit it was the kink 400 metres from the eastern portal which then bounced me into the oncoming boat. I have no idea if any damage was caused because tunnels tend to be a bit on the dark side. In the 7000 miles I've travelled around the system that is probably the only real shunt I've been involved in, although there have been some other near misses, again, no-one's real fault, just the nature of the beast (although I suppose if we want the blame game a boat moored on a blind bend might carry some responsibility for a near miss on an oncoming boat).