Swift Ditch

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

Can anyone confirm where the pound lock on the Swift Ditch was, The HE listing puts it where I've marked and ringed in red, but someone has placed a photo of it where I've ringed yellow.

The yellow position looks far more plausible s its straight and narrow at that point, and the course of the ditch is also straighter.

image.png.ee36369e74e4d9e5d752c97fb9dc989c.png

image.png.a8f003918b22742f0844c13cf085e374.png

I've always assumed it is where the yellow circle is. Have done it several times in canoes and dinghies over the years but never noticed enough structure on the other stream (red) to indicate the remains of a lock. 

There is significant stonework exactly the right shape for a pound lock near where you have put the yellow circle. It is now a weir.

I think it is more likely that there are remains of a separate weir where the red circle is. That channel doesn't seem to be a very useful shape for maneouvering barges into. Too many bends. The purple line is much better.

Edited by magnetman

This is the Historic England map of the location.

image.png.8429883b8044ad69e4e29ed29c89768b.png

From further reading I believe this was once a flash lock.

image.png.090740c98dce679a1f007c4f445bbb5a.png

35 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I think it is more likely that there are remains of a separate weir where the red circle is. That channel doesn't seem to be a very useful shape for maneouvering barges into. Too many bends. The purple line is much better.

Exactly my thoughts