Two questions - hoppers and loo roll

Spudwynk

Featured Posts

Looking for some advice as its getting colder. Have been loving on my boat for the last couple of weeks with hoppers on all windows open. As it's getting colder can I get away with closing some or do I simply need to put on the heating / diesel stove to counteract the chill / draft?

Also I use WGAC 3ply bamboo toilet paper at home which is said to break down much easier and quicker than paper toilet roll. Would this be OK for a vacuum toilet on my boat? The manufacturers say its OK for septic tanks

26 minutes ago, Spudwynk said:

Also I use WGAC 3ply bamboo toilet paper at home which is said to break down much easier and quicker than paper toilet roll. Would this be OK for a vacuum toilet on my boat? The manufacturers say its OK for septic tanks

Put a piece in a glass of water and a piece of cheap toilet paper in another glass of water. stir both vigorously and evenly then watch as degrade.

29 minutes ago, Spudwynk said:

Looking for some advice as its getting colder. Have been loving on my boat for the last couple of weeks with hoppers on all windows open. As it's getting colder can I get away with closing some or do I simply need to put on the heating / diesel stove to counteract the chill / draft?

I don't have windows, only portholes that dont open and dont have a problem

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Spudwynk said:

Well done for the loving on your boat over the last 2 weeks 👍

Keep the love going and you’ll stay warm 😃

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Spudwynk said:

I blocked the galley hopper open to help vent condensation and steam from cooking, but otherwise I kept them closed in cold weather. Some even double glaze the whole window with film or clear plastic sheet. If you have the requisite number of BSS vents and have not blocked them you will be safe to close the hoppers.  A solid fuel stove will help draw damp from the boat (or an oil stove).

Edited by Tony Brooks

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Always shut our hoppers over winter. 

The bog roll question is way above my pay grade. 

What's this 'bog-roll' you refer to, is this the retrograde step back to the early days of the WC ?

Surely most folks these days have a bum-gun fitted (even the poor far Eastern / South Asian countries don't flush vauable paper).

See the source image

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What's this 'bog-roll' you refer to, is this the retrograde step back to the early days of the WC ?

Surely most folks these days have a bum-gun fitted (even the poor far Eastern / South Asian countries don't flush vauable paper).

See the source image

It's more eco friendly to wipe your bum on a panda. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, rusty69 said:

It's more rco friendly to wipe your bum on a panda. 

I always Panda to my Bum !

An elderly man travelling by plane was in urgent need of a restroom facility.

But each time he tried, it was occupied.

The flight attendant, aware of his predicament, suggested he use the attendant’s ladies’ room, but cautioned him not to press any of the buttons.

There next to the paper roll were four buttons marked: ‘WW’, ‘WA’, ‘PP’ and ‘ATR’.

Making the mistake so many men make of not listening to a woman, he disregarded what she said when his curiosity got the best of him.

He carefully pressed the WW button and immediately a gentle flush of Warm Water sprayed on his bare bottom.

He thought “Wow, these gals really have it nice.”

So a little more boldly he pressed the WA button and body temperature Warm Air blew across his wet bottom and dried it comfortably.

“Aha,” he thought, “no wonder these women take so long in the bathroom with these kinds of services.”

So he pushed the next button PP with anticipation.

A soft disposable Powder Puff swung below him and dusted his bottom lightly with talc.

“Man, this is great,” he thought as he reach out for the ATR button.

When he awoke in the hospital, the morphine was just wearing off.

Confused, he buzzed the nurse to find out what happened.

He explained the last thing he remembered was intense pain in the lady’s room on the plane.

The nurse explained,

“Yes, you must have been having a great time until you pushed the Automatic Tampon Removal button. By the way, your pen!$ is under your pillow.”

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

13 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Chaucer (or was it Rabelais?) suggested using a goose's neck. I suppose a duck would suffice, though you wouldn't get the same length of travel.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Chaucer (or was it Rabelais?) suggested using a goose's neck. I suppose a duck would suffice, though you wouldn't get the same length of travel.

I'm not putting my delicate derriere anywhere near a ducks bill, platypus or otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, you rub one of those mentalists on your undercarriage and see how it goes. You’d be better off with something softer, like a brick. Whats wrong with a good ‘ole dock leaf? Good enough for us kids back in the day when caught short out in the woods.

image.jpeg.0a26955c9d927ee90b353924fd7d8a31.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Yes, you rub one of those mentalists on your undercarriage and see how it goes. You’d be better off with something softer, like a brick. Whats wrong with a good ‘ole dock leaf? Good enough for us kids back in the day when caught short out in the woods.

If it was already dead, things would go better.

15 hours ago, Spudwynk said:

Close the hoppers to stay warmer. That is what they are for! I have hoppers open in summer, but close them as the nights draw in. They are closed now, so I can put back lighting the stove for a while longer. Last winter I used plastic film secondary glazing over the frames to help and will be doing the same in a few weeks time.

14 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Better to wipe your bum on the bamboo bog roll. Pandas have to eat many pounds of bamboo to get one pound of panda. Same theory that says it is more eco to grow crops on land, rather than use it for pasture for cattle. Typically a ten to one ratio for each step up the food chain. Eating, or wipping your bum on lions and great white sharks is the most eco unfriendly of all!

Especially important not to eat a panda, lion, or great white after wiping your bum on it.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 3

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Better to wipe your bum on the bamboo bog roll. Pandas have to eat many pounds of bamboo to get one pound of panda. Same theory that says it is more eco to grow crops on land, rather than use it for pasture for cattle. Typically a ten to one ratio for each step up the food chain. Eating lions and great white sharks is the most eco unfriendly of all!

That may well be true, but who will buy my used panda from me now?

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A difficult sale. Potential buyers expect them to be black and white, not ...

Anyway. I have a new toilet being delivered soon (13 stops away), so the panda will have to go. 

The good news is, I'll be able to go soon too. I've had my legs crossed for days.

• Greenie 1