Blue Sign

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

On 25/09/2022 at 13:51, Goliath said:

I wouldn’t look so shocked LadyG 

When did you last move? 😎😂

Eeks!

I've only been here twenty four hours (HX 76UL, from HX78AD), it is a one day mooring, but as it's at a lovely pub, I might just push a bit (October - March Rules?) not that I am encouraging such bad behaviour.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Eeks!

I've only been here twenty four hours (HX 76UL, from HX78AD), it is a one day mooring, but as it's at a lovely pub, I might just push a bit (October - March Rules?) not that I am encouraging such bad behaviour.

What, stay there till March you mean? 

:giggles:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

What, stay there till March you mean? 

:giggles:

I'm currently conducted a  survey of my winter cruising grounds, by the time my survey is completed to my satisfaction the clocks should change and all systems go! 

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

• Only berth holders and CaRT staff and contractors have keys that fit the lock. Can CaRT staff and contractors pass the blue sign after unlocking the gate? Can we have a CaRT concierge on duty to unlock the gate for us?

Please help!

No it says berth holders only!

Come on it's not that hard to understand, all you need is to be a berth holder and have a ladder - simples!

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Eeks!

Stay as long as you like at HX7 6UL as its a non existent postcode!

But perhaps you are at HX7 6LU, which is the Stubbing Wharf. While this is a one day mooring, you can usually find space between the end of the permanent moorings and the Whiteley Arches railway bridge , where you can stay for 14 days.

• Happy 1

I used to stay for a week or so at a time at Stubbing Wharf.

If I remember right there’s room for two maybe even three boats at a push.

Yes, it says one day but it was rarely used through the winter. 

And that little stretch, with the pub car park below has a very pleasant community of boaters.

My experience is it easily ices over too 

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Obviously No 3 as the sign says to keep this gate locked at all times. Therefore, use of keys to unlock it is forbidden. Even with a CRT concierge hanging around.

I've never understood "keep this gate locked at all times" signs. Why did they put a gate in there in the first place and not a plain fence?

• Greenie 2

33 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I used to stay for a week or so at a time at Stubbing Wharf.

If I remember right there’s room for two maybe even three boats at a push.

Yes, it says one day but it was rarely used through the winter. 

And that little stretch, with the pub car park below has a very pleasant community of boaters.

My experience is it easily ices over too 

Not my favourite pub, feels too much like an eatery, but a lovely place to sit outside on the canal wall or benches and drink a couple of pints.  Has changed hands recently, the pubco "evicted" the tenants and put a manager in so thay can keep the profits themselves. Have not been in for a while.

36 minutes ago, dmr said:

Not my favourite pub, feels too much like an eatery, but a lovely place to sit outside on the canal wall or benches and drink a couple of pints.  Has changed hands recently, the pubco "evicted" the tenants and put a manager in so thay can keep the profits themselves. Have not been in for a while.

Agreed not a favourite but bearable.

It used to always have one of it’s beers on offer, perhaps a pound cheaper than the rest, can’t remember.

And of course there’s the outside bench where you can sit and watch the boats.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Has changed hands recently, the pubco "evicted" the tenants and put a manager in so thay can keep the profits themselves.

Previous tenants of the Stubbing Wharf are now running the Robin Hood at Pecket Well above Hebden Bridge on the Keighley Road. A bit of a walk uphill from the town and the canal (but downhill on the way back), but there is a bus (but no evening service).

https://robinhoodinnhebden.co.uk/

https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/_/services/KDT/B3

50 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Agreed not a favourite but bearable.

It used to always have one of it’s beers on offer, perhaps a pound cheaper than the rest, can’t remember.

And of course there’s the outside bench where you can sit and watch the boats.

Yes, had a few good early evenings on that bench, popular with some of the long term moorers just upsream. The cheap beer was a good thing, but its always the least interesting one thats cheap 😀

2 hours ago, dmr said:

It's no longer a local pub for regulars I'm afraid, but I rather liked it, though I noted staff are pretty much school leavers.  The decor is very clean and smart. It certainly is popular, all tables occupied for mid week lunch. Menu is interesting, I'll probably be sampling the burger and beer tomorrow. They have Landlord on draught, I noticed the beers and the glasses are  bright, they don't have Racing TV, but there is golf, from Sky if you are bored of life 

Edited by LadyG

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It's no longer a local pub for regulars I'm afraid, but I rather liked it, though I noted staff are pretty much school leavers.  The decor is very clean and smart. It certainly is popular, all tables occupied for mid week lunch. Menu is interesting, I'll probably be sampling the burger and beer tomorrow. They have Landlord on draught, I noticed the beers and the glasses are  bright, they don't have Racing TV, but there is golf, from Sky if you are bored of life 

I don't think its been a locals pub for a while, its a touristy hot spot, but the locals/boaters do sometimes gather on the benches outside. How much is the Landlord??

19 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

The Fox & Goose is not too far away (but avoid the folkie night).

The Fox and Goose is certainly worth the short walk, I have found it variable, can get packed very easily, decent beer and mostly friendly. Like many Hebden pubs it can sometimes get a bit taken over by visitors "doing Hebden"

On 22/09/2022 at 18:04, Goliath said:

You can never have enough threads on Blue Signs so here’s another 

B0A4814F-E63A-42E6-928C-5C0F72E570C5.jpeg.d28b4543c1f66cc22b3c6442f71d28be.jpeg

I can’t believe my eyes. 

Will someone please point out the two glaring mistakes and reassure me its not me going bonkers. 
Or am I missing something?

This by the way, for those who have never had the joy of Lane Head moorings, is on the BCN

I had no idea we had free moorings on the BCN. I was always under the impression that the price of mooring was included in our Licence Fee!
When did that memo go out????????

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, oboat said:

I had no idea we had free moorings on the BCN. I was always under the impression that the price of mooring was included in our Licence Fee!
When did that memo go out????????

Exactly. 👍

But as we’ve seen elsewhere CRT are trying to bring in charges for moorings. 
Whether for booking or extended stay over. 

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Exactly. 👍

But as we’ve seen elsewhere CRT are trying to bring in charges for moorings. 
Whether for booking or extended stay over. 

It’s all odd. 
Everything about the sign is odd. 
2 days only? 

£25 charge? The charge is a ridiculous sum of money to pay to be there. It’s a charge to deter over staying, it’s really a fine. But CRT can’t issue fines. So 🤷‍♀️
And Widebeams? 
Obviously a generic/default sign with no thought given. 

And as you say we pay a license which allows us to moor (and for up to 14 days at a time).

Edited by Goliath

22 hours ago, Psychalist said:

...and having charged her batteries cruising to Tod, the delights of a Monday afternoon in the Polished Knob await. It's a tough gig that Calder Valley.

May I ask what happens on a Monday afternoon?

I loved the small indoor market opposite. 
i think there’s at least 3 butchers in there 👍

Edited by Goliath

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

May I ask what happens on a Monday afternoon?

Unlke many places that now close Monday and Tuesday, a band plays and there's a friendly relaxed vibe. Chris the owner has done an  interesting refurbishment along the lines of an American diner, mixed with Star Wars and rugby themed decorations. Oh, and a choice of ales all good.

• Greenie 1