Rochdale water levels

Unicorn Stampede

Featured Posts

Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of depth at the location, my friend sent me the images over WhatsApp after he walked by today. 

There's no notice on CRT website about an issue, but clearly something is going on.

These were taken between Tuel Lane lock and the stretch towards Luddenden Foot.

It's unusual to see water level this low along that section (and the wall side doesn't seem to like the lack of water either!)

As a side note, I've just seen the bizarre notice of Fuel Theft from a river pump at lock 16. Apparently someone keeps stealing the diesal, which CRT keeps refilling. I assume that isn't helping things on the water front!

IMG-20220922-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220922-WA0001.jpg

Edit:

Just received this image - it appears CRT is on with whatever the problem is!

IMG-20220922-WA0003.jpg

Edited by Unicorn Stampede

49 minutes ago, Unicorn Stampede said:

There's no notice on CRT website about an issue, but clearly something is going on.

These were taken between Tuel Lane lock and the stretch towards Luddenden Foot.

Yes there is.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/23333-grouting-works-from-bridge-3-to-bridge-4

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

And also says the stoppage has been extended to 28th.

The notice was as usual confusing cos the CRT notice writer probably knows bugger all about canals, but I interpreted it as the grouting project ends on 28th but the waterway reopens on 23rd. 

5 hours ago, Midnight said:

The notice was as usual confusing cos the CRT notice writer probably knows bugger all about canals, but I interpreted it as the grouting project ends on 28th but the waterway reopens on 23rd. 

That's a perverse reading of the stoppage notice. What is unclear about 

"From Date: 16/09/2022 12:15

To Date: 28/09/2022 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure"

and

"Updates

21/09/2022 13:33

A clay embankment is being built to prevent further leakage through the existing embankment. This has therefore extended the duration of the works.

We are hoping to have the works completed by and inclusive of Wednesday 28th September"

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

That's a perverse reading of the stoppage notice. What is unclear about 

"From Date: 16/09/2022 12:15

To Date: 28/09/2022 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure"

and

"Updates

21/09/2022 13:33

A clay embankment is being built to prevent further leakage through the existing embankment. This has therefore extended the duration of the works.

We are hoping to have the works completed by and inclusive of Wednesday 28th September"

Looks like they amended the original

Grouting works from Bridge 3 to Bridge 4
 Starts: 16/09/2022 12:15

Ends: 28/09/2022 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Maintenance

Towpath closed? No

The navigation between Bridge 3, High Royd Bridge and Bridge 4, Longbottom Bridge will be closed from today until Friday 23rd September, to carry out grouting repairs. This section will be dewatered to carry out the works with fabric dams in place.

19 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Looks like they amended the original

Grouting works from Bridge 3 to Bridge 4
 Starts: 16/09/2022 12:15

Ends: 28/09/2022 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Maintenance

Towpath closed? No

The navigation between Bridge 3, High Royd Bridge and Bridge 4, Longbottom Bridge will be closed from today until Friday 23rd September, to carry out grouting repairs. This section will be dewatered to carry out the works with fabric dams in place.

Indeed they did. That's what the 21 September update is about.

Please tell me it's a wind up but someone just forwarded a video showing a CRT boat with musicians in fancy dress  playing music, going up and down the locks in Littleborough while there's 10 boats waiting after been told not to move to save water 😕 

Edited by Midnight

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Please tell me it's a wind up but someone just forwarded a video showing a CRT boat with musicians in fancy dress  playing music, going up and down the locks in Littleborough while there's 10 boats waiting after been told not to move to save water 😕 

Chris John will come along in a minute and defend CRT in it's wellbeing on the waterways magical musical tour.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Were Holly and Phil from ITV on board by any chance?

• Haha 1

The Rochdale must be open again without anyone being told. It's listed as one of the 6 'Best places to boat this autumn' on the CaRT homepage...

From Sowerby Bridge in West Yorkshire, canal boat holiday-makers can travel along the Rochdale Canal through the Calder Valley to the old mill town of Hebden Bridge, nestled in a fork in the hills. Climbing through woods, fields and small stone towns, the journey there and back covers 14 miles, 20 locks and takes around 11 hours.  

2 hours ago, gatekrash said:

The Rochdale must be open again without anyone being told. It's listed as one of the 6 'Best places to boat this autumn' on the CaRT homepage...

From Sowerby Bridge in West Yorkshire, canal boat holiday-makers can travel along the Rochdale Canal through the Calder Valley to the old mill town of Hebden Bridge, nestled in a fork in the hills. Climbing through woods, fields and small stone towns, the journey there and back covers 14 miles, 20 locks and takes around 11 hours.  

Just as I imagined :)

Second hand info but I've been told that at a CRT meeting last night it was suggested the only Pennine canal likely to open anytime soon would be the Rochdale but no guarantees. Thought not likely the L&L will open this year and although all pounds on the HNC are full the reservoirs are too low to provide any room for optimism.

There's been a bit of rain. No sign of activity at the Tuel Lock end which has been de-watered. I don't know what's going to happen. Not sure if anyone does. I was hoping for some update this week.

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There's been a bit of rain. No sign of activity at the Tuel Lock end. I don't know what's going to happen. Not sure if anyone does. I was hoping for some update 

I was rather expecting official updates via the stoppage notices even if it is bad news. It looks likely the comments from last night's meeting is all we are getting. The meeting was in your vicinity so the info was from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I still assume and hope that once the lock 35 aqueduct is sorted that the canal will open again, there are a few boats now waiting down in Littleborough. Looks like a slight delay at lock 35, the bed is mostly fixed but CRT have decided to have a look at the walls whilst the canal is empty. This makes a load of sense, they have the site all set up with steps down into the canal etc.

Today they put a load of expanding foam into the gaps between the stones and then finished off with lime mortar grouting. I suspect they will give the lime mortar the weekend to get nicely set.  The summit pound is pretty much full though will likely struggle if a lot of boats want to come over. Bit more rain forcast for the next couple of days though the ground is still very dry, the water-indicating waterfall is still dry 😀,

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

It was mentioned on the radio yesterday that low reservoir levels mean that the hosepipe bans currently in force in parts of the North are likely to remain in force until the new year.

I doubt that it will make much difference. At this time of year, no one is going to water their garden. I'm not sure who is using excess water, but I expect the water companies know.  To be honest private individuals could be educated to use less water all the time, I am more careful on a boat than when in a house, possibly use fifty percent less.

I think there was an idea that water meters would cut consumption, not sure how that worked out.

We've had some heavy rain today, I hope that does not flush out the lime mortar on the Rochdale repairs.

Edited by LadyG

It has rained good and proper up the top of the Rochdale, CRT have lock 35 gates and paddles open so their work is safe, the level in the pound below has come up a foot and the waterfall up the hill is doing its stuff.   CRT and getting in new clay rather than re-using the not so good stuff that they took out so a few more days to go . I suspect they will re-open the top at the same time that they re-open down in Sowerby.

• Happy 1

At an open day at the water treatmrent plant of our pre-privatisation water company, I had a chat with one of the managers. He said that he saw no real  advantage in water meters as they increased their overhead costs  by having to set up a record system and employ more people to run it.  Their running costs were essentially fixed, as the cost of treating the water (which was free, and not in short supply in Essex) were negligible compared to the cost of the fixed plant, maintenance, and wages. They knew in advance how much money they would need for the year, set the water rates accordingly based on the rateable value of each property, and collected the money from customers with no need to measure their individual consumption.   If they charged water by the litre, and everyone (say) halved their consumption, the consequence would be that they would have to double the price per litre the following year to cover their costs, which were essentially independent of how much water they supplied.  They were a statutory not-for-profit company that was not allowed to make a profit, unlike its post-privatisation replacement.

Essex was possibly a special case, as in areas where water is in short supply, metering can be used to control demand. My water company seems to have been  unusual in not charging extra for an external tap per se, only for a sprinkler not held in the hand: all the d.i.y books I consulted when I got my first house many decades ago, explicitly mentioned the need to inform your water company and pay extra water rates when fitting an outside tap.      

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

On 29/09/2022 at 19:03, Midnight said:

Second hand info but I've been told that at a CRT meeting last night it was suggested the only Pennine canal likely to open anytime soon would be the Rochdale but no guarantees.

Not just yet!

"Navigation remains closed from Lock 1, Sowerby Bridge to Lock 48, Littleborough on the Rochdale canal, due to continued dry conditions. Whilst we have experienced some rainfall over the last few weeks, it has not been enough to impact on third-party supplies and surface water feeders that supply the canal."

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/22796-navigation-closure-lock-1-to-lock-48-rochdale-canal