Jump to content

Rochdale water levels


Unicorn Stampede
 Share

Featured Posts

Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of depth at the location, my friend sent me the images over WhatsApp after he walked by today. 

 

There's no notice on CRT website about an issue, but clearly something is going on.

 

These were taken between Tuel Lane lock and the stretch towards Luddenden Foot.

 

It's unusual to see water level this low along that section (and the wall side doesn't seem to like the lack of water either!)

 

As a side note, I've just seen the bizarre notice of Fuel Theft from a river pump at lock 16. Apparently someone keeps stealing the diesal, which CRT keeps refilling. I assume that isn't helping things on the water front!

IMG-20220922-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220922-WA0001.jpg

 

 

Edit:

Just received this image - it appears CRT is on with whatever the problem is!

 

 

IMG-20220922-WA0003.jpg

Edited by Unicorn Stampede
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Unicorn Stampede said:

There's no notice on CRT website about an issue, but clearly something is going on.

 

These were taken between Tuel Lane lock and the stretch towards Luddenden Foot.

Yes there is.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/23333-grouting-works-from-bridge-3-to-bridge-4

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

And also says the stoppage has been extended to 28th.

The notice was as usual confusing cos the CRT notice writer probably knows bugger all about canals, but I interpreted it as the grouting project ends on 28th but the waterway reopens on 23rd. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Midnight said:

The notice was as usual confusing cos the CRT notice writer probably knows bugger all about canals, but I interpreted it as the grouting project ends on 28th but the waterway reopens on 23rd. 

That's a perverse reading of the stoppage notice. What is unclear about 

 

"From Date: 16/09/2022 12:15

To Date: 28/09/2022 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure"

 

and

 

"Updates

21/09/2022 13:33

A clay embankment is being built to prevent further leakage through the existing embankment. This has therefore extended the duration of the works.

We are hoping to have the works completed by and inclusive of Wednesday 28th September"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

That's a perverse reading of the stoppage notice. What is unclear about 

 

"From Date: 16/09/2022 12:15

To Date: 28/09/2022 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure"

 

and

 

"Updates

21/09/2022 13:33

A clay embankment is being built to prevent further leakage through the existing embankment. This has therefore extended the duration of the works.

We are hoping to have the works completed by and inclusive of Wednesday 28th September"

 

Looks like they amended the original

 

Grouting works from Bridge 3 to Bridge 4
 Starts: 16/09/2022 12:15

 Ends: 28/09/2022 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Maintenance

Towpath closed? No

The navigation between Bridge 3, High Royd Bridge and Bridge 4, Longbottom Bridge will be closed from today until Friday 23rd September, to carry out grouting repairs. This section will be dewatered to carry out the works with fabric dams in place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Midnight said:

 

Looks like they amended the original

 

Grouting works from Bridge 3 to Bridge 4
 Starts: 16/09/2022 12:15

 Ends: 28/09/2022 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Maintenance

Towpath closed? No

The navigation between Bridge 3, High Royd Bridge and Bridge 4, Longbottom Bridge will be closed from today until Friday 23rd September, to carry out grouting repairs. This section will be dewatered to carry out the works with fabric dams in place.

Indeed they did. That's what the 21 September update is about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please tell me it's a wind up but someone just forwarded a video showing a CRT boat with musicians in fancy dress  playing music, going up and down the locks in Littleborough while there's 10 boats waiting after been told not to move to save water 😕 

 

 

 

Edited by Midnight
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Please tell me it's a wind up but someone just forwarded a video showing a CRT boat with musicians in fancy dress  playing music, going up and down the locks in Littleborough while there's 10 boats waiting after been told not to move to save water 😕 

 

 

 

Chris John will come along in a minute and defend CRT in it's wellbeing on the waterways magical musical tour.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Please tell me it's a wind up but someone just forwarded a video showing a CRT boat with musicians in fancy dress  playing music, going up and down the locks in Littleborough while there's 10 boats waiting after been told not to move to save water 😕 

 

 

 

Were Holly and Phil from ITV on board by any chance?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Rochdale must be open again without anyone being told. It's listed as one of the 6 'Best places to boat this autumn' on the CaRT homepage...

 

From Sowerby Bridge in West Yorkshire, canal boat holiday-makers can travel along the Rochdale Canal through the Calder Valley to the old mill town of Hebden Bridge, nestled in a fork in the hills. Climbing through woods, fields and small stone towns, the journey there and back covers 14 miles, 20 locks and takes around 11 hours.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gatekrash said:

The Rochdale must be open again without anyone being told. It's listed as one of the 6 'Best places to boat this autumn' on the CaRT homepage...

 

From Sowerby Bridge in West Yorkshire, canal boat holiday-makers can travel along the Rochdale Canal through the Calder Valley to the old mill town of Hebden Bridge, nestled in a fork in the hills. Climbing through woods, fields and small stone towns, the journey there and back covers 14 miles, 20 locks and takes around 11 hours.  

Just as I imagined :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.