Warm home discount

LadyG

Featured Posts

I usually get the warm home discount paid to pensioners before December, paid to all oap's. Has this been stopped?

It looks like it has been transferred to those who have an energy supplier, which not everyone has. It's a major disappointment if this is the case.

Do you mean the £200 us old buggers get as a winter fuel payment? I think it's coming in December, possibly with a chunk on top if I remember rightly and it hasn't been U-turned out of existence. There might be something said in tomorrow's budget, though I wouldn't rely on anything said there actually coming to pass apart from a cut in stamp duty and the removal of the banker's bonus cap (& maybe not them, either). Everything's incredibly volatile.

"Overview

If you were born on or before 25 September 1956 you could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

The amount you’ll get includes a ‘Pensioner Cost of Living Payment’. This is between £150 and £300. You’ll only get this extra amount in winter 2022 to 2023. This is in addition to any Cost of Living Payment you get with your benefit or tax credits."

Goes on to say it's paid in November or December. No idea how they decide how much we all get. It'll be exciting finding out.

Well my Google came up with similar sums, but it did not look as if payments would be paid direct to pensioners I went to Age Concern and Citizens advice, and still not clear, I thought the statement had been made.

I don't see how boaters will get a £100 discount on domestic, it seems unworkable. 

Edited by LadyG

22 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They said something on TV about off grid heating getting £100 like us with oil heating

Not sure about off grid, I thought it meant folks who don't have gas or electric heating but live in houses.

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well my Google came up with similar sums, but it did not look as if payments would be paid direct to pensioners I went to Age Concern and Citizens advice, and still not clear, I thought the statement had been made.

I don't see how boaters will get a £100 discount on domestic, it seems unworkable. 

I don't see why boaters should get any allowance. Kerosine, coal and wood are among the cheapest fuels available, kWh per £. 

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I don't see why boaters should get any allowance. Kerosine, coal and wood are among the cheapest fuels available, kWh per £. 

Well it's because inflation erodes spending power,  and those with lowest earning power are those most vulnerable.

It's economics. 

Edited by LadyG

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

Not sure about off grid, I thought it meant folks who don't have gas or electric heating but live in houses.

How you use your mains gas and electricity and how you heat your house does  not seem to be relevant 

Properties with electric only will receive the same £400 as those with dual fuel. Pensioners receive the winter allowance regardless.

So if you live in a property with mains   electric and use it for for lights only you will still get the £400 as a deduction from your electricity bill.

I doubt many people live in a house and dont have mains electricity. 

39 minutes ago, MartynG said:

How you use your mains gas and electricity and how you heat your house does  not seem to be relevant 

Properties with electric only will receive the same £400 as those with dual fuel. Pensioners receive the winter allowance regardless.

So if you live in a property with mains   electric and use it for for lights only you will still get the £400 as a deduction from your electricity bill.

It's just simpler and cheaper to make it a universal benefit rather than spending millions on more chaps in offices working out how to target it, and then more millions correcting the mistakes and denying the bad publicity when it goes wrong,  which targetting always does.

As far as I can see, the winter heating allowance for ancients will be paid the same way as usual with an extra random amount made up by one of the aforesaid chaps.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the off-grid promised amounts.

9 hours ago, MtB said:

However, when the government promises a universal benefit (£400) it needs to make sure that everyone gets it.

44 minutes ago, MartynG said:

30 years ago I had a girlfriend who did just that. Aga for heating and cooking, candles for light. The house did have electric wiring and the petrol genny lived in a shed.

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

However, when the government promises a universal benefit (£400) it needs to make sure that everyone gets it.

30 years ago I had a girlfriend who did just that. Aga for heating and cooking, candles for light. The house did have electric wiring and the petrol genny lived in a shed.

But very rare even 30 years ago. There will always  be exceptions today  including remote locations without mains utilities.

What an odd idea. A government promise is for good headlines. It's not connected to reality in any shape or form. This applies to governments of all persuasions, though some have more intention than others of carrying them out. All, however, should be treated with much cynicism.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's just simpler and cheaper to make it a universal benefit rather than spending millions on more chaps in offices working out how to target it, and then more millions correcting the mistakes and denying the bad publicity when it goes wrong,  which targetting always does.

As far as I can see, the winter heating allowance for ancients will be paid the same way as usual with an extra random amount made up by one of the aforesaid chaps.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the off-grid promised amounts.

Removing the standing charge and raising the unit price (keeping the average overall cost of £2500 the same) would have a similar effect of benefiting poorer/smaller households more than bigger/richer ones, and would be trivial to do...

Edited by IanD

It is not universal .Not everyone gets it. 

Only gas/electric utility bill payers get it. 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

It is not universal .Not everyone gets it. 

Only gas/electric utility bill payers get it. 

Precisely. It was promised as a universal benefit. What a government promises is rarely, if ever, what it delivers. 

Remember the most terrifying thing to hear when you answer the phone: "I'm from the Goverment, I'm here to help you..."

On 22/09/2022 at 10:00, IanD said:

Removing the standing charge and raising the unit price (keeping the average overall cost of £2500 the same) would have a similar effect of benefiting poorer/smaller households more than bigger/richer ones, and would be trivial to do...

Everyone always forgets about the standing charge, and most people don't realise that it's variable depending on where in the country you live.

Down here in Devon, the standing charge is the highest in the entire country despite having Hinkley nuclear power station on our doorstep. Compared to London, we pay nearly £67 a year more in SC before we even turn a light on. Yet wages in Devon and Cornwall are amongst the lowest in the country.

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Was it?

I don't remember the government ever saying that. The media, perhaps interpreted it that way....

"This year, all domestic electricity customers will receive an up-front discount on their bills worth £200. Energy suppliers will apply the discount on people’s bills from October, with the Government meeting the cost in full. That discount will automatically be repaid from people’s bills in equal £40 instalments over the next five years. This is the right way to support people while staying on track with our plans to repair the public finances"

From the original announcement. It went on to include off grid etc. and got amended to £400 not clawed back. After that it went on about households rather than consumers.

4 hours ago, gatekrash said:

Everyone always forgets about the standing charge, and most people don't realise that it's variable depending on where in the country you live.

Down here in Devon, the standing charge is the highest in the entire country despite having Hinkley nuclear power station on our doorstep. Compared to London, we pay nearly £67 a year more in SC before we even turn a light on. Yet wages in Devon and Cornwall are amongst the lowest in the country.

Hinckley point nuclear power station closed last month. SW now gets 80% of its electric from gas.

Standing charge for me in Nth Devon for electric is 21p and for gas 27.2p both fixed in May so £99 a year.

27 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Hinckley point nuclear power station closed last month. SW now gets 80% of its electric from gas.

Standing charge for me in Nth Devon for electric is 21p and for gas 27.2p both fixed in May so £99 a year.

Yes, I forgot. Worked for the IT department of EDF Energy and its predecessor, SWEB for 31 years until I retired a few years ago and went to Hinkley B a few times, including being stood on top of the reactor (total anti-climax). Our chief exec back in the mid 2000s used to be found of telling us about how cheap electricity would be once Hinkley C was online and according to him 'customers will be cooking their Christmas turkeys using energy from new nuclear by 2015' ! He left shortly after!

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

"This year, all domestic electricity customers will receive an up-front discount on their bills worth £200. Energy suppliers will apply the discount on people’s bills from October, with the Government meeting the cost in full. That discount will automatically be repaid from people’s bills in equal £40 instalments over the next five years. This is the right way to support people while staying on track with our plans to repair the public finances"

From the original announcement. It went on to include off grid etc. and got amended to £400 not clawed back. After that it went on about households rather than consumers.

It's hard to figure out how 'off grid' users generating their own leccy can be classed as "domestic electricity customers".

Unless they are getting an electricity bill, how can they get an "up-front discount"? And why should they, given they are not suffering a doubling or tripling of their leccy bills? 

Edited by MtB
Remove a stray word.