Favourite 3 tunnels

Philip

Featured Posts

Standedge- because it's the longest, deepest and highest

Blisworth - because I had an interesting trip into it when it was under repair in the 1980s

Netherton - because it's bore is impressive

Of all the conventional canal tunnels, I think Froghall is the tightest. We couldn't make it through on the first visit so had to return laden with coal

15 hours ago, Philip said:

Also are there any tunnels people particularly don't like going through?

All of them! In 42 years of boating most of the system I've never got used to them and find them boring, monotonous and sometimes scary. I realise from the comments on here that I seem to be in the minority but hey-ho each to their own.

Thankfully I'm too long for Huddersfield so will never have to do the Standedge, and I cannot see the point of risking damage to my boat going through Froghall Tunnel just to reach a couple of hundred yards further on. I've done the Gosty though but that was because I needed a pump out and diesel and had heard how nice and friendly it is in Hawne Basin.

I presume one of the attractions is the challenge and also you 'completists' who have to get to the very limit of navigations. I can kind of understand that even though it's not for me. I remember on the Chesterfield Canal I turned at the winding hole but another boater 'needed' to carry on the 1/4 mile further on and touch the bricked up tunnel entrance with his front fender before reversing back to the WH through all the weed and debris, a task that took him ages. He was happy to do it though so each to their own 🙂.

1 hour ago, DaveP said:

Islington - when mooring either side, because of the steady traffic, all the different and lovely engine sounds echoing for many minutes before the boats emerge (the most fabulous being Indus & Pictor bearing coal in the winter)...

I didn't hang around there long enough to hear a nice boat going through... I'd love to hear Clover's Bollinder in there though.

Edited by Ewan123

47 minutes ago, Grassman said:

All of them! In 42 years of boating most of the system I've never got used to them and find them boring, monotonous and sometimes scary. I realise from the comments on here that I seem to be in the minority but hey-ho each to their own.

Thankfully I'm too long for Huddersfield so will never have to do the Standedge, and I cannot see the point of risking damage to my boat going through Froghall Tunnel just to reach a couple of hundred yards further on.

🙂

True enough.  But if you over analyse it, there is little point to any of it.

Whenever someone needs to move a boat any distance, the usual advice is that it will be cheaper, simpler and quicker to do it by road.  It always seems a shame, to me, to not undertake a decent cruise. Often it will be easier to go by other means, with or without a boat, but I like boating!

Then them are those you cannot goo through

(1) Old Harecastle and the side branches to the mines

(2) Buttlerley Tunnel

(3) Lapal Tunnel

(4) Norwood

But some people had explored these hidden places all the same

As to the roofs missing at Armitage that was through mining subsidence. Brewins tunnel was opened out as part of James Walkers improvement of the the canal

And, there are also the horse tunnels that passed under canal and roads on different parts of the network

1. Dudley - by far and away the most interesting and challenging

2. Wast Hill - because it is like a portal between two different worlds

3. Gosty Hill

I've never been through Standedge (canal) tunnel but I am familiar with the location and the adjoining railway tunnels.

My favourites though would probably be on railways so as an alternative list since the thread title doesn't refer to canals how about:

1. Mersey (and it's surrounding and connected railway tunnels which have many fascinating features)

2. Severn

3. Kilsby

18 hours ago, IanD said:

1. Standedge

2. Standedge

3. Standedge

-- been through three times... 🙂

Masochist!!

Been through once on a freezing cold day.The further in it got colder and colder, and when I was absolutely perished an icy deluge came down from the springs above.I also had one of my nav lights knocked off.

I am not going through Standedge again!  😰

7 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Masochist!!

Been through once on a freezing cold day.The further in it got colder and colder, and when I was absolutely perished an icy deluge came down from the springs above.I also had one of my nav lights knocked off.

You know the old saw "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing" ? 😉

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Then them are those you cannot goo through

(1) Old Harecastle and the side branches to the mines

(2) Buttlerley Tunnel

(3) Lapal Tunnel

(4) Norwood

But some people had explored these hidden places all the same

As to the roofs missing at Armitage that was through mining subsidence. Brewins tunnel was opened out as part of James Walkers improvement of the the canal

And, there are also the horse tunnels that passed under canal and roads on different parts of the network

Crimson Hill Tunnel Chard Canal

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Was Netherton built with a railway in mind or have there been plans since to convert it to rail? The engineering and blue brick looks very typical of railway tunnels built in the late 19th century.

No. It was just built in the railway era (opened 1858). Same as the Tame Valley, Rushall and Birmingham & Warwick Junction Canals. And improving the canal network to help compete with the railways was probably part of the reasoning behind their construction.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I also had one of my nav lights knocked off.

That's cos Standedge isn't a tunnel it's a cave! Fred Carter used to suggest nav lights should be removed or the tunnel removes them for you. 

For non-navigable ones, there are two at Rain Hall which provided access to the limestone quarry. This was taken in 1981 of the one nearest the main canal. The other entrance is now virtually covered and in the middle of a field.

Rain Hall G May 1981.jpg

My unfavourite is Barnton as, unlike Preston Brook and Saltersford, there is no restriction on entry times. Most boaters seem to think that it is definitely OK to enter if you can see a boat ahead in the same direction, regardless of how many boats have entered without allowing one in from the other end.

18 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

My unfavourite is Barnton as, unlike Preston Brook and Saltersford, there is no restriction on entry times. Most boaters seem to think that it is definitely OK to enter if you can see a boat ahead in the same direction, regardless of how many boats have entered without allowing one in from the other end.

Surly that happens with all one way tunnels, Chirk, Whitehouse, Gosty Hill and all the rest

For us

3. Wast Hills, plenty of room and contrasting ends.

2. Harecastle, still remember the first time, we entered, feeling confident then the doors closed, the fans fired up and we vanished in fog. Oh pooh where are the sides😳 Soon cleared though.

1. Shrewley. Reason being we hired a couple of Club Line boats in around '82. These had centre roof portions which slid back. It was stinky hot and I had the roof open and several girls in bikinis on the roof (I know, wouldn't do it now). We slid into the tunnel all happy then the screaming started. I didn't realise quite how wet it was. The water was pouring in. Spent some time at the far end drying out. Still fun though. 😁