Questions from Towergate Mardon

Lady M

Featured Posts

Has anyone here been sent a list of questions from Towergate Mardon which must be answered otherwise renewal will not be invited?  I can answer three of my four questions quite confidently but am not sure about the first part of this one.  'Is the boat professionally built and in a good state of repair?'  My uncertainty is because my boat was purchased by the first owner as a sailaway which he fitted out.  Especially given the longevity of steel narrowboats, which sometimes have a number of owners, this seems quite an odd question to ask. 

I would assume "built" means making the hull, not the fitting out. So as long as he didn't nail it together in his back garden you can answer yes to that, and, as a boat not in good repair is about to sink, and I don't think yours is, you can say yes to that too.

It's probably a scheme by the insurance company to open a few more loopholes in case you ever make a claim. 

12 minutes ago, Lady C said:

Yes - that's my problem.  The available answers are either YES or NO.  There is an option to ring up, which I will probably take, but I thought I would ask here first if anyone else had received a similar communication.

Rather than just ring up, also ask the question via email so you have a written reply they cannot wriggle out of. Ive done that with my house insurance re a very ambiguous bit re drains.

• Greenie 1

There is another option. Just bin the questionnaire and go to another insurer. Which is exactly what lots of their longstanding narrowboat customers have done since their canal insurance expert left and the marine department was taken over by people who know nothing about inland boating.

55 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Have you tried Craftinsure? I found them competitive but I am not sure they offer live aboard policies.

They have no problem with liveaboards and will add contents to your policy for an additional premium.

1 minute ago, Lady C said:

I didn't try Craftinsure due to their attitude to cover damage.  

I don't know what that is about, I never noticed it in the policies I have had with them. I suppose they might have a larger excess on claims for cratch cover or pram hood damage. I believe some insurers do this for soft top cars.

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

There is another option. Just bin the questionnaire and go to another insurer. Which is exactly what lots of their longstanding narrowboat customers have done since their canal insurance expert left and the marine department was taken over by people who know nothing about inland boating.

Wasn't that Michael Stimpson who, I believe, has recently set up independantly.

6 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Wasn't that Michael Stimpson who, I believe, has recently set up independantly.

Correct, he is now with a company called Circle Marine 

you can contact him by email at Michaelstipson at the above company  .co.uk

Edited by ditchcrawler