An extra charge for the top end of the Llangollen?

David Mack

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Because the payment is to moor in a popular area,

If you are talking about the proposed visitor charge, it is nothing to do with managing popular mooring sites. It's all about raising revenue from tourism. 

It seems they want the charge to apply to hotels, holiday lets, AirBnBs, and camping and caravan sites. The consultation suggests charging boats as well, but doesn't recognise that overnight boat moorings are not necessarily fixed locations like the others.

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you are talking about the proposed visitor charge, it is nothing to do with managing popular mooring sites. It's all about raising revenue from tourism. 

It seems they want the charge to apply to hotels, holiday lets, AirBnBs, and camping and caravan sites. The consultation suggests charging boats as well, but doesn't recognise that overnight boat moorings are not necessarily fixed locations like the others.

The discussion had drifted back to the thread subject which was mooring charges in honeypot areas (also raising revenue), not just as a tourist in Wales.

But the same principle applies -- to make a charge (e.g. a tourist tax) you need a way to verify who should pay it and a means to collect it, which generally means an existing transaction (hotel, AirBnB, honeypot mooring fee like Llangollen) -- if you have to put new mechanisms on place this can eat up some or all of the money collected. Or in the "friends of CRT case", more money than was collected... 😞

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

What happens if I moor the boat in Llangollen for the night but go home to sleep up the road where I live.

If you mean the mooring charge, you pay it. If you mean an additional tourist tax, surely the answer is the same as if you rent an AirBnB and then go home -- you pay the tax.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder who will come and collect our overnight charge (anchored off the coast of Anglesey)

Small Picture 2.jpg

Nobody, unless you want to volunteer to pay it out of a sense of duty... 😉

Edited by IanD

37 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

If you are a CCer then you live in/on your boat on the canal and as such you aren't a tourist, you're at home so how can any tourist tax be applied?  Even if you pay for a mooring for a few nights you still live on the canal and as such, aren't a tourist?

The levy is nothing to do with being a tourist, it would apply to business travel for example, it is more about being a visitor to that area irrespective of the reasons for that visit.  Also I don’t see what being a CC’er has to do with living on the boat or not.

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

So how would they collect the Tourist Tax from them unless its done at source, Airbnb.

As has been said it will or could be where there is already a charge being made.   In my youth I wild camped in Snowdonia a lot I don't expect a tax collector to pop up from behind a rock.

Airbnb for example can easily be traced if there is the political will, just look for an Airbnb in the area you are wanting.   Government contacts them, checks they are paying business rates and tells them how to implement the new tax.   A double win as they then get the cash from the business rates.

A sufficiently high penalty for not registering for the collection of the new tax would also reduce the required work, but the extra income would pay for the extra work which would decline over time.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

The levy is nothing to do with being a tourist, it would apply to business travel for example, it is more about being a visitor to that area irrespective of the reasons for that visit.  Also I don’t see what being a CC’er has to do with living on the boat or not.

Because it's virtually impossible to genuinely cruise continuously if you don't live on the boat. That was the original rationale for accepting that not everyone should have a home mooring. You can move round the system in short jerky movements without living on the thing in a perfectly legal manner, but in no way can it be described as a continuous cruise. A broken cruise,  yes.

I suspect CRT is moving towards increasing the licence fee considerably to reflect this, with a discount for those with a home mooring, so the costs to the boater become equivalent. This will of course be unfair to the genuine boat dwellers, but that's the result of long term gaming the system.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I suspect CRT is moving towards increasing the licence fee considerably to reflect this, with a discount for those with a home mooring,

C&RTs original plan (following consultation) was that the "CCer" licence was to cost 2.5 times the price of the licence for a boat with a home mooring.

Plus a list of other premium charges .....................

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RTs original plan (following consultation) was that the "CCer" licence was to cost 2.5 times the price of the licence for a boat with a home mooring.

Plus a list of other premium charges .....................

You really can't beat a good consultation!

2 hours ago, IanD said:

But the same principle applies -- to make a charge (e.g. a tourist tax) you need a way to verify who should pay it and a means to collect it, which generally means an existing transaction (hotel, AirBnB, honeypot mooring fee like Llangollen) --

I read a report not so long ago that something like half the owners of holiday let property are not declaring the rental income for tax purposes. So if they aren't paying income tax are they going to collect and handover the visitor tax?

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

I read a report not so long ago that something like half the owners of holiday let property are not declaring the rental income for tax purposes. So if they aren't paying income tax are they going to collect and handover the visitor tax?

And this is exactly the kind of behaviour that various authorities are trying to crack down on...