Water levels South Oxford Canal

plato

Featured Posts

Left the Thames this morning via Dukes cut in a relatively deep draughted boat. Heading for Thrupp. On leaving Dukes lock it was apparent that levels were very low. 
I almost reversed back down the lock to go back on the Thames. 
Being of a positive mind I pressed on thinking it won’t be so bad. But it was a struggle and slow going to get to Kidlington Green Lock. 
So my thoughts are if it’s like this down here what’s it going to be like farther up? 
Thinking now of winding at Thrupp and having another month on the Thames and see if we get a meaningful amount of rain in the mean time. 
Anyone farther up at the moment that can give an indication of water levels where you are? 
Thank you 

Being a pedant, you go up from the Oxford onto Dukes Cut!  When we came off the Thames at Dukes Cut about 2 1/2 weeks ago if was quite a large drop down onto the Oxford, at least 2ft, and you could not get near the lock landing below Dukes Lock without going aground.  Once up Dukes Lock it was fine, and even the pounds below Banbury which were low on our way down at the beginning of August were fine.  The only issue was through Cropredy and CRT were stopping every thing moving for a couple of hours in the morning while they ran water down.

Thanks for the reply . Being a super pedant I said I thought about reversing back down Dukes lock which is higher than Dukes cut lock. So definitely going down to the Thames even tho as you say you go up from the Wolvercote pound on to the Thames. 

11 hours ago, plato said:

Left the Thames this morning via Dukes cut in a relatively deep draughted boat. Heading for Thrupp. On leaving Dukes lock it was apparent that levels were very low. 
I almost reversed back down the lock to go back on the Thames. 
Being of a positive mind I pressed on thinking it won’t be so bad. But it was a struggle and slow going to get to Kidlington Green Lock. 
So my thoughts are if it’s like this down here what’s it going to be like farther up? 
Thinking now of winding at Thrupp and having another month on the Thames and see if we get a meaningful amount of rain in the mean time. 
Anyone farther up at the moment that can give an indication of water levels where you are? 
Thank you 

What do you call 'relatively deep draughted'?

Edited by Maffi

5 hours ago, Phlea said:

So, this begs the question in my mind of why not run some water down dukes cut lock and fill the pound from the river? Or perhaps this is not allowed as it’s the EA’s water not CRT’s!!!

Hi Phlea

yes you could that , but it would only fill the wolvercote pound and not the pound above leading to Kidlington Green lock which at 10” lower than normal. 

4 hours ago, Maffi said:

What do you call 'relatively deep draughted'?

Thanks for the grammar correction. A schoolboy error. And English was my best subject. 
my draught is 2’8” 

when levels are more normal I bottom out in various places. So if the levels are down by a good few inches I may well find my route impassible.

Not a great problem in itself but I wouldn’t want to inconvenience others by blocking the channel. 

7 hours ago, Phlea said:

So, this begs the question in my mind of why not run some water down dukes cut lock and fill the pound from the river? Or perhaps this is not allowed as it’s the EA’s water not CRT’s!!!

You could fill Boddington Reservoir overnight using this method....

12 hours ago, Phlea said:

We did when we came off. In discussion with the CM'ers at the end of Dukes Cut we left the bottom gate open (the top end is leaky).

The problem is that the Dukes cut is in between Shuttleworth Lock going North and Wolvercote Lock going South. It may raise the water going south but not the water going North which is higher.

15 hours ago, plato said:

Thanks for the grammar correction. A schoolboy error. And English was my best subject. 
my draught is 2’8” 

when levels are more normal I bottom out in various places. So if the levels are down by a good few inches I may well find my route impassible.

Not a great problem in itself but I wouldn’t want to inconvenience others by blocking the channel. 

It turns out that either is OK, but in my mind farther is not as sweet as further.

The levels were only an issue around Kidlington when I went up and back from Oxford to Heyford in July/Aug. I suspect (at least on the days I went past) it has more to do with mismanagement of locks by boats or leaks from specific locks/pounds as Thrupp levels were fine, but everyone was going aground around Yarnton Lane Bridge (between Kidlington green lock and Roundhams lock). This didn't make much sense as Roundhams is much deeper than Kidlington green so that pound should always be overflowing...unless lots of boats only use Kidlington Green lock and not Roundhams (which isn't the case).

I know reservoirs are low but the back pumping from Napton and feeds from the Cherwell seem to be keeping on top of the water supply for now.