Wood trim router bit?

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

Trying to match a decorative edge on some wood trim, i'm hoping to find a router bit the same but at the minute i'm drawing a blank, probably due to inexperience.

As far as i can work out myself, its an "ovolo" bit, but i just can't match it :( 

Have attached pic of what i measured which hopefully makes sense.

Router Bit.jpg

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Trying to match a decorative edge on some wood trim, i'm hoping to find a router bit the same but at the minute i'm drawing a blank, probably due to inexperience.

As far as i can work out myself, its an "ovolo" bit, but i just can't match it :( 

Have attached pic of what i measured which hopefully makes sense.

Router Bit.jpg

It is an Ovolo, (not an Ogee) or more correctly a Square Ovolo which indicates a quadrant with two shoulders. The cutter you have found will only produce one shoulder, the type you need is like the one shown here, but it is bigger than the size you require:-  https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB/Product/ProductDetail?ModelName=793772

Axminster Tools sell a range or Ovolo router bits, they will be top quality but rather expensive. Nevertheless,  it may be worth giving them a ring.  https://www.axminstertools.com/instantsearch/result?q=ovalo router bit

Edited by David Schweizer

https://www.axminstertools.com/axcaliber-ovolo-cutter-d-25-4-x-11-11-r-6-35mm-s-1-4-6-35mm-666050?queryID=0faf6ea363056e21cfd04624cd4d58f9

Has 6.35mm radius, or they also do a 4.8mm version. To get the depth of rebate take off the guide bearing and use the router fence instead (assuming you are moulding a straight edge).

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

https://www.axminstertools.com/axcaliber-ovolo-cutter-d-25-4-x-11-11-r-6-35mm-s-1-4-6-35mm-666050?queryID=0faf6ea363056e21cfd04624cd4d58f9

Has 6.35mm radius, or they also do a 4.8mm version. To get the depth of rebate take off the guide bearing and use the router fence instead (assuming you are moulding a straight edge).

Many Axminster cutters come with two bearings, to cut with or without the lower “step”.

Bought the Ovolo bit from Rutlands. Radius is slightly bigger (6.3 instead of 5.5) but i can set the two shoulders, one by lowering the blade in the table, and the other by setting the fence distance.

At least now when i make the new front step floor brackets they’ll match all the other woodwork for style. All this is because my better half keeps stubbing her toes on the right-angled corners, so i’m making replacements with radiused ones, rather than let her have at it with sandpaper 😱

Thanks for all above input ;) 

• Greenie 1

• 4 months later...

Just realised I never posted the outcome.

Heres a before (square) and after (rounded) pic. Hopefully less foot injuries in future and, by extension, less earache for me :) 

Made from white oak and a couple of coats of Rustins Clear Satin Polyurethane which I hope matches existing woodwork. 

FAD78257-4F40-44BE-9142-7613D7B43877.jpeg

C57622D0-1D18-44E3-9246-2176A336C4FA.jpeg

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

48 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

A bit off-topic, but are those steel screws or screws with iron in them. If so, they may well stain the oak black given time, especially if the oak gets wet.

They were whatever was originally used, i had nothing close to size on hand to replace. Figured they’d be ok as they’d done no harm to the existing blocks.