Floating Bridges on the Canal

Heartland

Featured Posts

There has only been a 'Germany' since the 1870s, and before that there were numerous kingdoms and electorates, each having their own set of measurements. I have a list of some in my recent translation of Maillard's book on canal engineering, while for the translation of Hogrewe's book on English canals from 1759, published in 1780, for which I am currently writing an introduction - I have done the translation - some of the dimensions are: 

Fuß                                       ½ Elle                        292mm (11.5 in) Hannover, Calenburg, Bavaria, Wismar.

old Fuß                            406mm (15.98 in ) Metz, France

Reichsfuß                            313.8536mm (12.36 in) Prussia

On floating bridges, Rhine ferries used a series of small boats as an anchor, as seen below in a picture of St Goar.

St Goar ferry.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2022 at 18:02, Heartland said:

Near Bridge 48 on the Macclesfield Canal there was a floating bridge that provided access to the canal cottage and was kept when not in use by the cottage. Were there other examples of this type of infrastructure?

Was it this one? Taken in 1983.

1307963084_IMG_20221003_0001(2).jpg.cc40377a86f927fa64d7dc0c282bccce.jpg

• 3 weeks later...