winter proofing cruiser stern

PabloC

Featured Posts

Clean the drains and channels.  Dry the bilges often.

Check regularly and on sunny days get the covers off to clear the condensation. Some folk cover the engine but its a bad idea, the condensation is no less and they risk forgetting the cover and starting the engine!

Oil and grease the moving parts, cables, hinges etc.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Old Son said:

Whilst moored I would keep an old quilt cover over the engine. I had a little sign I hung on the engine panel which reminded me to remove it before I started the engine up. 
Not sure what good it did but I never had a freeze!!

Well, in most cases you won't have because the antifreeze in the cooling system prevents it. If the OP's boat is nt tank cooled now is the time to tell us so we can give further advice.

Back to the question. Pretty much what Tracy said, and I will add stop worrying about the cold and damp (unless and idiot has fitted an inverter or charger in the engine bay). Also, when really cold weather is forecast make sure the batteries are as fully charged as possible to minimise the chance them freezing.

3 minutes ago, Old Son said:

Have a guess who has a charger in his engine bay. I didn’t fit it but it’s not been an issue for the last 10 years. 

You can't tell about the quality of the construction of a charger. It all depends upon how well the circuit boards and connection shave been water proofed and if you sited it well away from condensation drips. Anyway, 10 years ago I would have expected the build quality to have been better than now.

4 hours ago, Old Son said:

Have a guess who has a charger in his engine bay. I didn’t fit it but it’s not been an issue for the last 10 years. 

Don't worry I fail on both counts, my Victron Battery Charger and Sterling Inverter are both in the engine room - mind you, the engine room heaters are on all Winter (2x greenhouse heaters, costs about £1 a day to run)

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, Marina prices for the next 12 months have increased by 8p / unit so it'll be about £1.30- £1.40 per day

Sorry, I want being entirely serious with my previous reply. Wow thats a decent price!! Do you want to sell some to me 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the replies. 

On 19/09/2022 at 11:44, Tracy D'arth said:

Clean the drains and channels.  Dry the bilges often.

Check regularly and on sunny days get the covers off to clear the condensation. Some folk cover the engine but its a bad idea, the condensation is no less and they risk forgetting the cover and starting the engine!

Oil and grease the moving parts, cables, hinges etc.

Thank you, I'll do those things. 

On 19/09/2022 at 15:20, Tony Brooks said:

Well, in most cases you won't have because the antifreeze in the cooling system prevents it. If the OP's boat is nt tank cooled now is the time to tell us so we can give further advice.

Back to the question. Pretty much what Tracy said, and I will add stop worrying about the cold and damp (unless and idiot has fitted an inverter or charger in the engine bay). Also, when really cold weather is forecast make sure the batteries are as fully charged as possible to minimise the chance them freezing.

Could you clarify what tank cooled is? 

I should have said I'll be in a marina so I'll make sure the batteries are charged from shore power if needed.

On 19/09/2022 at 21:12, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't worry I fail on both counts, my Victron Battery Charger and Sterling Inverter are both in the engine room - mind you, the engine room heaters are on all Winter (2x greenhouse heaters, costs about £1 a day to run)

I have a Victron charger and a charging unit from the solar (forget what its called). Could these be boxed in? Or covered temporarily in some way?

Would you recommend I put a heater in there for the really cold weather?

Thanks again for the replies!

16 minutes ago, PabloC said:

Could you clarify what tank cooled is? 

I should have said I'll be in a marina so I'll make sure the batteries are charged from shore power if needed.

I think it will help you if you study both the maintenance and electrical notes on my website. Cooling systems explained in the maintenance notes. My website