Huddersfield Narrow

Midnight

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Super, hopefully before the winter stoppages!

Any signs of the Rochdale improving?

The Rochdale has enough water for at least some boating, but the aqueduct hole near the summit is going to need some thoughtful repair. CRT are on the job but I expect a few more weeks yet.

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

How long do you reckon it’ll take to top them reservoirs up?

The waterfall opposite has not flowed for ages despite a bit of rain. There was zero flow today (walked the dog up there). I suspect its going to take a lot of rain to get the ground wet again. The Rochdale summit pound looks good and there is water all the way down to Manchester, and a couple of boats have now got up to Littleborough. We are going to stick it here for another couple of weeks then see if CRT will give us permisssion to go to the Golden Lion 😀 

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

The waterfall opposite has not flowed for ages despite a bit of rain. There was zero flow today (walked the dog up there). I suspect its going to take a lot of rain to get the ground wet again. The Rochdale summit pound looks good and there is water all the way down to Manchester, and a couple of boats have now got up to Littleborough. We are going to stick it here for another couple of weeks then see if CRT will give us permisssion to go to the Golden Lion 😀 

Have our Mutual Friends gone by?

I reckon we (you really) must hope for a proper proper piss down of rain over the winter.

As it happens I’m on a proper summit with loadsa water! And beer.😃

Just now, Goliath said:

Have our Mutual Friends gone by?

I reckon we (you really) must hope for a proper proper piss down of rain over the winter.

As it happens I’m on a proper summit with loadsa water! And beer.😃

I believe they have got up to Littleborough without too much difficulty, but that little aqueduct at Warland (between lock 35 and the swingbridge) has let all the water out into the stream, it really was just like water going down the plughole, so nobody is getting over the summit for a while yet.  Rochdale Summit has loads of water cus its got nowhere to go to. 😀 Which summit you on?

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yea, loadsa water, and easy locks. 
You can stick your boat in a lock with no ropes and whack the paddle up,

and everything goes nicely. 
(ok a slight exaggeration but pretty close)

Easy life. 

I'm heading south, in theory!

Bournville was such a wonderful village in the 1950's, it's probably best to leave it in the memory banks.

Just now, LadyG said:

I'm heading south, in theory!

Bournville was such a wonderful village in the 1950's, it's probably best to leave it in the memory banks.

😂😂

possibly 

can you not still head south?

or is  that a daft question?

I ain’t looked at stoppages, turn around and go the other way..

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Goliath said:

😂😂

possibly 

can you not still head south?

or is  that a daft question?

I ain’t looked at stoppages, turn around and go the other way..

Have a look at stoppages map.

I might have to go back, but not too far as I want to go over the Rochdale before their winter stoppages!

I'm spending my leisure time inventing a new board game for boaters, snakes and ladders meets monopoly. There is a strict budget, but unlimited free blue stickers. All players 

start as vlockies, with enough credit to buy a boat but with rapidly rising interest rates.

They can climb through the ranks to Chairman by buying and selling assets at auction and making facebook friends. The game lasts a virtual year , every player must move every fourteen virtual days or pay the Chairman a bonus. ;)

Edited by LadyG
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/09/2022 at 13:32, LadyG said:

Latest world on the Rochdale is that normal service will be resumed next week!!!!!!!

From a vollie - opening shortly between Hebden Bridge and Sowerby Bridge. As far as I'm aware it's also open between Manchester and Littleborough. Just need some decent rain and then hopefully open all the way. 

53 minutes ago, Midnight said:

From a vollie - opening shortly between Hebden Bridge and Sowerby Bridge. As far as I'm aware it's also open between Manchester and Littleborough. Just need some decent rain and then hopefully open all the way. 

There is still a very big hole at lock 35 up near the summit, though I don't think a stoppage notice was ever issued for this. If everything falls into place there might be a chance of getting it done by the middle of next week, but there will  be two empty pounds to fill which will drop the summit level a fair bit.

6 hours ago, dmr said:

There is still a very big hole at lock 35 up near the summit, though I don't think a stoppage notice was ever issued for this. If everything falls into place there might be a chance of getting it done by the middle of next week, but there will  be two empty pounds to fill which will drop the summit level a fair bit.

Thank you for that info. I'll have to decide next weekend which way to go back to base but it's odds on down the Trent.

36 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Thank you for that info. I'll have to decide next weekend which way to go back to base but it's odds on down the Trent.

I can keep you informed as I walk the dog past the big hole most days, but unless anything goes very wrong I really think it will all be sorted by the end of next week.

• Happy 2

8 hours ago, dmr said:

I can keep you informed as I walk the dog past the big hole most days, but unless anything goes very wrong I really think it will all be sorted by the end of next week.

Thanks that would be brilliant even if I do the Trent I have friends heading for Littleborough.

CRT notices are a bit erratic nothing about the "Hole" but there is a closure notice for the closed section.

Headline should maybe read "Closed canal closed"

Grouting works from Bridge 3 to Bridge 4
 Starts: 16/09/2022 12:15

Ends: 28/09/2022 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Maintenance

Towpath closed? No

The navigation between Bridge 3, High Royd Bridge and Bridge 4, Longbottom Bridge will be closed from today until Friday 23rd September, to carry out grouting repairs. This section will be dewatered to carry out the works with fabric dams in place.

I rang CRT yesterday to try to get updates on all three Pennine routes but the lady on the phone told me she had no information other than "we are having a drought". Said she would get someone to call me - I won't hold my breath.

Total lightweights!

19 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I rang CRT yesterday to try to get updates on all three Pennine routes but the lady on the phone told me she had no information other than "we are having a drought". Said she would get someone to call me - I won't hold my breath.

Total lightweights!

I gathered, both times I had to ring CRT last year, that most of the people you speak to initially are working from home, and the only information they have is what they read on a screen, which is more or less the same as what we've got. If you're lucky enough to get a call back, it's then from soneone who actually knows something. Sometimes. Assuming anyone knows anything.

• Happy 1

44 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Thanks that would be brilliant even if I do the Trent I have friends heading for Littleborough.

CRT notices are a bit erratic nothing about the "Hole" but there is a closure notice for the closed section.

Headline should maybe read "Closed canal closed"

Grouting works from Bridge 3 to Bridge 4
 Starts: 16/09/2022 12:15

Ends: 28/09/2022 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Maintenance

Towpath closed? No

The navigation between Bridge 3, High Royd Bridge and Bridge 4, Longbottom Bridge will be closed from today until Friday 23rd September, to carry out grouting repairs. This section will be dewatered to carry out the works with fabric dams in place.

Total lightweights!

I still get stoppage notices for the K&A and they are much better, they apologise for the inconvenience, give frequent updates, and then announce and congratulate their staff when its fixed, especially if its on time or early.  The Rochdale has just sprung a difficult leak, with overhead electric cables adding a complication, an in-house CRT team have worked hard to investigate and fix things, and except for a few locals who walk past nobody knows anything about this. This is a missed opporunity for a bit of positive publicity.

• Greenie 1