Wind turbine

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

Would this be an Ebay type offer? Please post a link so we can see the ouput at various wind speeds.

Unless there has been a very recent and major technology breakthrough that 3000W (if 3000W is not just a model number) is only likely to be achieved on top of a mountain or out at sea in a full gale. In general wind turbines for inland boats do not get enough strong, fluke free, wind to make a meaningful contribution to battery charging. They are also noisy and send vibrations down the pole into whatever the pole is mounted on, so it is best not to mount them on the boat.

No, but I'll bet that 3000W is the power you'd get just before the tornado destroys it. Power is proportional to the cube of of wind speed, so it falls off dramatically as the speed drops below farmhouse leaving for Oz conditions.

Half the wind speed, power drops to an eigth. At a quarter of the wind speed, power is a sixty fourth.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Just now, Sanddancer said:

I thought it might be okay to keep batteries steady instead of starting engine

I just know I am going to get stick over saying this. It MIGHT keep the batteries charge (say) over winter when you are way from the boat but a solar panel will do it without the noise. I would suggest that you look into fitting as many solar panels as you can ft or afford and get a decent MPPT controller. That will outperform the turbine throughout the year and many times over in the summer. I also suspect you may e at the bottom of a steep learning curve about batteries and charging.

So it says its rated wind speed is 13m/s (29mph, six on the Beaufort scale) and starts at 2m/s (4.5mph). Accepting, for one moment, that it can actually produce 3kW at 13m/s, in a typical light breeze at 5mph, 2 on the Beaufort scale, it will produce 15W! Below that, nothing.

https://www.rmets.org/metmatters/beaufort-wind-scale

• Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

DIY assembly I see.

Typical Ebay mis-selling and false advertising as far as I am concerned.  I would not touch it with a telegraph pole, let alone a barge pole.

They say the inverter is only 2000 Watts so where did the apparent 3 kW come from apart from the marketeer's imagination.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, Sanddancer said:

I do know what all are saying but the thought of those solar panels which I do not like plus I've got the space and am on a farm mooring with open fields

If its going to be on land why not get a 240 volt one rather than 12 volts, there must be some log cabin livers who could help

1 hour ago, Sanddancer said:

I do know what all are saying but the thought of those solar panels which I do not like plus I've got the space and am on a farm mooring with open fields

It is your money so your choice but mount it on the longest pole possible to try to get into fluke free air. Then just be aware that the thing may not stand up too well to gales so good guy lines and site it so if it does shed a blade or bit of a blade any damage will be minimised. 

If you can afford to write it off within the year - oh and possibly your batteries if you do not monitor the state of charge then try one. I should not do any damage to the batteries as long as you monitor them and use alternative charging if it is not as effective as you think it will be.

Edited by Tony Brooks

20 minutes ago, Peanut said:

I can hear the wind generators fitted on yachts 200yds away. Solar panels are silent, peace, and quiet, night and day.

I can't hear any of the nearby wind turbines here over the noise of our mast and rigging vibrating in this damn wind. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Safe wind speed is given as 55m/s = 123 mph. That would be interesting.

As ditchcrawler mentioned the cables look a little thin to handle 3000w at 12 v = 250a. Would need to be at least 90mm2.

CE marked of course (Chinese Engineering).

On 18/09/2022 at 13:52, Sanddancer said:

received_801738757542207.jpeg.0221e27014e28bc875e8a3fd963e24fe.jpegHas anyone tried our heard about these turbines?

Not until now. It wont/can't do what it advertises so, even if you are committed to a turbine, ( despite the good advice given here), don't buy this one.

Get a Rutland which is a well known make, and where its capabilities are known.

Hard to understand your resistance to solar. Lots of boats have solar, and very few have turbines.... a fact that tells its own story?

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Sanddancer said:

You ask, we give advice. Whether you follow it or not is up to you but please don't come back complaining that it doesn't do what you wanted, as it won't.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Solar is best and quietest honestly 

For a canal boat, yes. 

A small wind turbine needs to be on a tall mast to avoid some of the wind shear problem: as for the reason why you see so few of them on the cut, well, the answer's in the name. Canals tend to be along the lowest local ground levels, not at the tops of hills. 

A wind speed of 2m/s near ground level is a very frequent occurrence, and as Tracy said above, you'll get an output of 15 watts, aka 4/5 of feck-all. 

• Haha 1