Winding on the South Stratford Canal

PineappleGuy

Featured Posts

I’d like to do a short detour down the South Stratford Canal from Kingswood Junction in a few days time. Nicholson shows a winding hole before Lock 25 but the next one isn’t until after Lock 38. Does anyone know from experience whether there is anywhere in between where a 43 ft boat could be turned? I was only wanting to get to Lowsonford but not if it involves doing 16 more locks in order to turn round.

I can not answer your specific question but I have used Google Earth previously to try and identify potential turning places for a shorter boat, it has a measuring tool so you can estimate the canal width. It does not tell you if there is enough depth at the edges so allow some spare.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Should be no problem winding above Dicks Lane (Lock 25). There's a bit of an arm leading off which used to have 70 ft boats moored in it. Probably a bit silted up these days, but you should be OK to wind a 43 footer.

Canal plan shows it as a winding hole, https://canalplan.uk/place/2i4a

I know that's a winding hole (see my original post) but I was looking for something around Lowsonford or soon after (but not 8 locks further on). I can't see anything that looks promising on Google satellite view so I think I'll have to postpone that particular plan to another time.