Mooring overnight in Tamworth and Nuneaton

Dizalot

Featured Posts

Biggest problem we had last time we came through were all the moored boats at Boot Wharf and opposite on the towpath.  With boats breasted up on the Boot Wharf moorings it was quite narrow and there were multiple boats traveling in both directions.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Went through Nuneaton a couple of years ago. Had an opal Fruit thrown at me. It missed. I told the lad it missed and he threw another that also missed. That the ‘trouble’ that I have had there.😊

29 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Must have been longer ago than that. Opal Fruits became Starburst years ago!

Nuneaton vandalry-motto  "throw nowt past its use-by date"

spacer.png

... ...

But with t'internet, it's just too seductive to look up the changeover date which here says was 1998 ... but then it also says here that they were re-introduced as Opal Fruits (tempoarily as a Limited Edition) on Tuesday, February 25 2020. Just in time for those ethical vandals to find how horribly sweet and chewy they are and cast a few over t'canal bridge at passing narrowboats ...

17 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Actually I wouldn't have any qualms about mooring in Nuneaton -I know the area well. Moor by Boot Wharf. Has anyone actually had any problems or is it just someone spreading rumours?

There's a bloke on FB who's had four car tyres spiked at Marston and two boat windows broken at Nuneaton. I did get a vague impression from a following post that he'd been overstaying due to a breakdown which could have upset the locals.

Never had any problems in either town.  If wanting a mooring in Nuneaton, new estate before the Big Hole is fine or go on a bit towards Springwood Haven in the woods. 

Boot Wharf is far too busy to moor.

Tamworth is fine but you have to avoid the railway, night time goods trains rattle the windows! 

41 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Never had any problems in either town.  If wanting a mooring in Nuneaton, new estate before the Big Hole is fine or go on a bit towards Springwood Haven in the woods. 

Boot Wharf is far too busy to moor.

Tamworth is fine but you have to avoid the railway, night time goods trains rattle the windows! 

I was impressed by the new estate. Looked like a huge improvement to the area. It just seemed generally a friendlier atmosphere there this year than in the past.

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Norm55 said:

Just going down through Hopwass heading for Atherstone and wondered where is safest place to moor up for 3 nights and leave the boat  as we need to get train home for few days.   

I'd have thought around or just past Glascote basin would be fine. Or actually in Glascote basin if you're feeling flush.

8 hours ago, Norm55 said:

Just going down through Hopwass heading for Atherstone and wondered where is safest place to moor up for 3 nights and leave the boat  as we need to get train home for few days.   

The safest place would be Fazeley Mill Marina, but you’d have to pay. Otherwise just before Fazeley Jn is probably the best bet, opposite what used to be CRT offices/ new(ish) development. Always boats there and there’s safety in numbers.

Best of all would be Atherstone moorings between locks 5 and 6. They are very close to the station and if you're not aboard no need to worry about noise from the trains, or worse the A5. I've left my boat there to catch the train home.

I also left my boat at the top of the Birmingham & Fazeley for three nights earlier in the year. I think the moorings at Tilson's Mill would be fine although I moored down closer to the marina. It's about a 20 minute walk to Wilnecote station so nowhere near as convenient as Atherstone.

Above Glascote locks should be fine but not ideal for a station although you can probably get a bus to Tamworth station from there.

When I've used Nuneaton station I've moored on the Tuttle Hill side of Springwood Haven - which is a surprisingly picturesque place - and walked back to Nuneaton station. That's a two mile walk broadly half back along the towpath and half on road. Do not be tempted to try and find a shorter route into Nuneaton from Springwood other than the towpath back to Tuttle Hill bridge, there isn't one even it looks like there might be on maps.

Other options could be Marston Junction and walk to Bedworth station or another one I've done which is to moor on the Engine House moorings at Hawkesbury and catch the number 20 from the top of Blackhorse Road into Coventry and walk to Coventry station. A lot may depend on where you want to get to or from by train.

Edited by Captain Pegg

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

The safest place would be Fazeley Mill Marina, but you’d have to pay. Otherwise just before Fazeley Jn is probably the best bet, opposite what used to be CRT offices/ new(ish) development. Always boats there and there’s safety in numbers.

From experience I agree with the above.
If there’s space I often leave boat in the marina, not expensive for a few nights and I give the batteries a proper charge. 
Otherwise down by the junction is fine. 

And only a 10 min walk to Wilnicote train station. Plus you’ve got some handy shops to do a little bit of stocking up on essentials when you get back. 

It’s probably one of the most safest and convenient places to leave the boat.

Towpath opposite Alvecote is very safe but a distance from the train. 

• Greenie 1

• 3 months later...
On 21/09/2022 at 19:41, Nightwatch said:

Went through Nuneaton a couple of years ago. Had an opal Fruit thrown at me. It missed. I told the lad it missed and he threw another that also missed. That the ‘trouble’ that I have had there.😊

Think how impressive you'd have looked if you caught and ate it!

It was recently reported that manufacture of "Caramac" has just come to an end. I always found them a bit sickly, but each to their own.

I remember that they did try relaunching Spangles (Hopalong Cassidy's favourite sweet) a few years ago, but it wasn't a success.  Their square shape lingered on in "Tunes" throat sweets for a while.