Insurance and Residential Mooring at Marinas

Watsons

Featured Posts

Hello to All,

Looking for advice on insurance companies with decent coverage, and residential mooring info at marinas in general.

For legal reasons - two school age kids - we need a mooring place in a marina where our 60ft narrowboat would be able to moor, and we could register ourselves there, with proper address, and everything.

We heard that there is different ways around it, with PO. Box and whatnot, but we would prefer to do it by the book.

Thank for any advice, in advance.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Watsons said:

Looking for advice on insurance companies with decent coverage, and residential mooring info at marinas in general.

Generally, marinas don't offer fully legitimate residential moorings. There are a few exceptions though, some of the BWML marinas for example, have a handful of fully legit resi moorings at nosebleed money. Also, CRT have a few dotted about. Specifically there is one up for auction at Aylesbury now:

https://www.watersidemooring.com/357-aylesbury-l1/Vacancies

There are also two resi moorings available at Engineers Wharf if you want London:

https://www.watersidemooring.com/366-engineers-wharf-residential-l1/Vacancies

For insurance, have a google. There are lots of reputable firms. Name some you've found that seem to offer the cover you want and they're bound to have some customers here who can give you some feedback on how they are to deal with.

BTW don't imagine because there are three CRT resi moorings listed at the moment they are easy to come by. Three at once is quite exceptional. More often there are none for months or years at a time.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Specifically there is one up for auction at Aylesbury now:

Interestingly allthogh it says residential on the web page in the PDF download under additional information it says leisure site.

I guess a sloppy cut and paste.

13 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

Might help if you say whereabouts you want to be.

You are absolutely correct Mike, my brain was not on 100% at the time of posting, so I do apologize. We are looking for one in England ideally, Midlands perhaps. As the address itself is the priority, it is almost does not matter where about will it be, as long as it is a permanent-ish residential mooring with secure parking and facilities.

Cheers

13 hours ago, Peanut said:

“...we would prefer to do it by the book.”

In which case, you need to find a residential mooring.

Hi Peanut,

Would this be the CRT's residential moorings coming up every now and then on CRT's website for auction? I was hoping that marinas do similar with a bit of extra security and service hence the fees.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Watsons said:

You are absolutely correct Mike, my brain was not on 100% at the time of posting, so I do apologize. We are looking for one in England ideally, Midlands perhaps. As the address itself is the priority, it is almost does not matter where about will it be, as long as it is a permanent-ish residential mooring with secure parking and facilities.

Cheers

Presumably you have some preferred areas as the whole things seems to be because you have school age children - and one assumes you will be wanting to be in the catchment area of 'good' schools rather than 'failing schools'.

• Greenie 1

Boat life is less secure than house living, and so boat insurance is generally not as "secure" as house insurance. If your house burns down the insurance company might/should rebuild it for you. If your boat burns down you don't get a new one, just the current value (probably their valuation) of the boat. New for old contents insuarance is almost impossible, and things like laptops will only have their current value, which is likely zero after three years, plus high premiums. Its probably best not to insure most electronic stuff and just open a savings account.

A very few companies will do "agreed value" on the boat, get this if you can.

• Greenie 2

Plenty of liveaboards in marinas living 'below the radar'. The marina operators know they are there, but both sides prefer to work on a 'don't ask, don't tell' basis.  But usually you can't use the marina address for post, or courier deliveries or as your home address for official purposes.

If you want a full official residential mooring then there isn't much alternative to ringing round marinas and asking. As official residential moorings are as rare as hens teeth, it is likely your eventual location will be determined by who has both official residential moorings and one vacant at the moment.

Have you looked at buying a boat already on a residential mooring? Might be the easiest way, as long as the mooring agreement is transferable, and you can always sell the boat on if you want to stay living on your current boat. 

Be aware that an official residential mooring offers no more security of tenure than any other mooring i.e. zero.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Plenty of liveaboards in marinas living 'below the radar'. The marina operators know they are there, but both sides prefer to work on a 'don't ask, don't tell' basis.  But usually you can't use the marina address for post, or courier deliveries or as your home address for official purposes.

... and even fewer would accept such 'unofficial' status for a family with children as the risk of having interested officials making a visit would be too great.

Tam

• Greenie 2

Your question suggests that you are not particularly familiar with canals and boats - have you just bought this 60' boat on spec, or is it simply a possible life-change scenario you are looking at?

If you don't want to answer, that is OK, but you might get more useful information if people knew rather more about what you are seeking.

Tam

• Greenie 2

I lived aboard for over 30 years. Didnt have a resi mooring, in fact I avoided doing so like the plague, its more money for zero benefit. Take a walk round some areas you think you might want to be and approach the mooring owner/staff in person, its still the best way on the waterways.

Edited by mrsmelly

There are several 'leisure' moorings at Stourport with power, Elsan and water. Why not walk along the pontoons, don't recall them being gated, and ask other boaters how things are re living there permanently, especially regarding mail.

4 hours ago, Watsons said:

Hi Peanut,

Would this be the CRT's residential moorings coming up now and then on the CRT's website for auction? I was hoping that marinas do similar with a bit of extra security and service, hence the fees.

Thank you

Yes, the CRT would be some of them, MtB above gave other examples.  I believe there may be some around Oxford.

I am in a marina down south, there are several people living aboard, including one with a child at school. All unofficially. We pay the marina a high usage charge for the pleasure, but that gives us no additional security of tenure.

There are few residential moorings available, most will have already been taken.  They require planning permission from the Local Authority, which is not often forthcoming.  There are even fewer freehold moorings, in Shoreham they change hands for over £300,000.

It is possible to live in a marina without any problems, but if you want the security of a house, you need to live in one.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Watsons said:

Cheers

There are certainly people living happily in several marinas on the Macc. Heritage have in the past taken people on housing benefit, and the one at Higher Poynton has residents.

Another idea is to buy a house with a CRT approved 'end of garden mooring'. Then you can live in the boat on your own mooring, have the address for your own personal use and rent out the house to pay the mortgage.

Still not totally legit, but the chances of getting busted are vanishingly small. 

I’ve moored & lived at yards & marinas for 30 odd years. None have been officially residential…most have allowed post/deliveries…some seem to allow others to register with DVLA etc although I’ve always used my mothers land address or my work unit address for such things. 

My present mooring has far more liveaboards than the planning permission allows but the council I feel turn a blind eye as they don’t fancy finding homes for a load of mainly older people should they enforce it. 

People definitely don’t live as “under the radar” as they did when I first started…as the stream of supermarket & Amazon deliveries here can testify. 

I’ve never had an issue with any insurance Co over my mooring status. 

We do pay extra for living aboard over those that are purely leisure use…look for terms like high usage etc….and as others have said go and chat to the owners & management of the sites….and when you are there don’t be a dick with loud music…junk all over your roof….washing hanging everywhere etc.

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I’ve never had an issue with any insurance Co over my mooring status.

But there have been comments on here in the past that motor insurers have been unwilling to accept a marina as a home address for car insurance. Although this is an even bigger problem for CCers.

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But there have been comments on here in the past that motor insurers have been unwilling to accept a marina as a home address for car insurance. Although this is an even bigger problem for CCers.

We’ve not had an issue. Told insurance and they are happy…using Saga this time…although despite it being behind a fob access gate with cctv they say that’s the same as a public car park but they were happy. Other insurance companies were a bit sniffy but just used ones that werent….and Saga were the cheapest….and allow a high mileage with full business use. 

I have had issues with keeping my classic car at my unit in a locked building with gated access to the site & cctv…that was because it wasn’t my home address….basically some insurance companies don’t like anything that’s not the norm it seems…even if the risk is less. 

34 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I insure with By Miles and they are happy that my car is kept at a Marina.

We're insured with Direct Line. They have my sons address as home address and marina as place the car is usually kept. 

They are happy for us to receive parcel deliveries but not letter post.

Edited by pearley
  • Greenie 1

On 16/09/2022 at 05:30, Tam & Di said:

Your question suggests that you are not particularly familiar with canals and boats - have you just bought this 60' boat on spec, or is it simply a possible life-change scenario you are looking at?

If you don't want to answer, that is OK, but you might get more useful information if people knew rather more about what you are seeking.

Tam

Hi Tam,

It is a bit of both. We have purchased the boat from 6000 miles away, after having a surveyor doing a full pre-purchase report, while we were on our way back to the UK after a life-change scenario.

Since I have posted this question here, we have heard from canalpost.uk which might be a feasible option that sort most of our problem.

I also took out an insurance - quite hefty to be honest - just to get things going, and will have a proper look at them during the course of the coming year.

Cheers

On 17/09/2022 at 02:56, pearley said:

We're insured with Direct Line. They have my sons address as home address and marina as place the car is usually kept. 

They are happy for us to receive parcel deliveries but not letter post.

Lucky you I must say, as I had to send 4 bags from Glasgow Airport via ParcelForce and I was told by the marina management that this was a one off, and not to have any mail or parcel sent as they won't accept it. Fair enough. At least I know where we stand from day one.

• Greenie 2