I am bored

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Train her up, Jim.  It worked well for Steve Royle ...

We have an over 55 Silver Circus class at Skylight Circus Arts in Rochdale, Monday's 11 -12.30, stop for a chat after, bring your own butties. A few 70+ yrs on trapeze, most do handheld stuff though. They all joined in with our last few shows, as the Candroppy Jugglers. 

Venue is 5mins from station. Mick/Circus Fudge lives on So'rby yard and teaches on the class, might be susceptible to eyelash fluttering for a lift, or maybe not if on his motorbike.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Tacet said:

I thought Lady G was at Sowerby Bridge.  Is that wrong or is the Calder & Hebble stopped close by?

There is no movement on the Rochdale due to lack of water. I am moored below lock 1, before the junction with c&h, so don't have to move at the moment. @LadyG has moved round the corner onto the c&h, afaik awaiting repairs. 

14 minutes ago, Tacet said:

I thought Lady G was at Sowerby Bridge.  Is that wrong or is the Calder & Hebble stopped close by?

According to local knowledge The Rochdale (it's in front of me) is opening soon. The overstay notice could be because I moved from one side of the basin to the other, one side is The Rochdale and the other The Calder and Hebble, apparently.

I believe there are problems on the C and H, not insurmountable if you want to go that way.

I believe the overstay was issued in error, awaiting adjudication.

• Greenie 2

38 minutes ago, peterboat said:

She can't no navigation 

15 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

. @LadyG has moved round the corner onto the c&h, afaik awaiting repairs. 

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

According to local knowledge The Rochdale (it's in front of me) is opening soon. The overstay notice could be because I moved from one side of the basin to the other, one side is The Rochdale and the other The Calder and Hebble, apparently.

I believe there are problems on the C and H, not insurmountable if you want to go that way.

I believe the overstay was issued in error, awaiting adjudication.

So, not awaiting repairs and the navigation is open in one direction.  For what it's worth, did not LadyG recently indicate not wanting to go in the other (Rochdale) direction anyway, preferring to remain at Sowerby Bridge?

If I was bored, I would move on because therein lies the best bit (for me) of living on a boat.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Halifax beer festival next weekend if you're still there ...

Have come to the boat for 2 nights, partly to finish my paint job , final coat on one side, now finished apart from the stanchions and outboard guard rail round the stern. Home tomorrow, back to the sunny side of the hill. 

I have no qualms whatever about milking the rules to leave the boat here for more than 2 weeks, until the Rochdale is declared open again. The pound I moor in is L35/36, drained with a sink hole awaiting repair, so can't get back to my mooring anyway. @dmr posted a pic a few posts back. 

Edited by Jim Riley
Rogue autotext.
  • Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Have come to the boat for 2 nights, partly to finish my paint job , final coat on one side, now finished apart from the stanchions and outboard guard rail round the stern. Home tomorrow, back to the sunny side of the hill. 

I have no qualms whatever about milking the rules to leave the boat here for more than 2 weeks, until the Rochdale is declared open again. The pound I moor in is L35/36, drained with a sink hole awaiting repair, so can't get back to my mooring anyway. @dmr posted a pic a few posts back. 

The summit is almost full, but your pound is still very empty. The next one down (mine 😀) is also very low. CRT have now dug down to the stone floor of the aqueduct and are not  totally happy about its integrity. I think they have plans but I also suspect it will be at least a few more weeks before it gets fixed

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Tacet said:

So, not awaiting repairs and the navigation is open in one direction.  For what it's worth, did not LadyG recently indicate not wanting to go in the other (Rochdale) direction anyway, preferring to remain at Sowerby Bridge?

If I was bored, I would move on because therein lies the best bit (for me) of living on a boat.

My first target is/was Hebden Bridge, then onwards, I don't want to go back even though I've had my repairs done at Sowerby Bridge, ty. The Calder is a very scary river in flood, and some of those urban areas are inhabited by scrotes. 

The Rochdale closed while I was en route, water resources, now further problems. If I turned round every time there's a stoppage I'd be spinning every other day.

Obviously I need to make my own decisions when navigating, and safety is a priority, this is not the BCN :)

PS I'm not bored anymore, started lots of mini projects, and been using the leisure centre to get fit, so doing something positive every day.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

14 hours ago, dmr said:

The summit is almost full, but your pound is still very empty. The next one down (mine 😀) is also very low. CRT have now dug down to the stone floor of the aqueduct and are not  totally happy about its integrity. I think they have plans but I also suspect it will be at least a few more weeks before it gets fixed

Sometimes CRT can be surprising, there is a lot of activity this morning. If everything falls into place I suspect the repair might be done in a week or two.

Jim, do you think we should have a paddle in the silt and try to lift some of the bricks and bigger rocks out while your pound is empty?

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Sometimes CRT can be surprising, there is a lot of activity this morning. If everything falls into place I suspect the repair might be done in a week or two.

Jim, do you think we should have a paddle in the silt and try to lift some of the bricks and bigger rocks out while your pound is empty?

I was mentioning that  to Mick who has the mooring adjacent to the swing bridge, I'll have a natter with him before I leave So'rby yard today. The paving flagstones where my mooring is were placed there by the very kind mooring faeries so my old Dawncraft sat down flat when the pound drained. So yes, where are you moored at the moment.

I would not say moored. We dropped down lock 34 but its a very shallow and silted pound. We have the front rope round a lock landing bollard and the back swinging free in the deeper water.  The little grass triangle down the steps at the lock/bridge mouth makes a great private party spot but the "other boat" has grabbed that. You have to make the most of stoppages. I have a theory that the shorter pounds can be self scouring due to lock flows and so all the silt settles out in the longer pounds.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I would not say moored. We dropped down lock 34 but its a very shallow and silted pound. We have the front rope round a lock landing bollard and the back swinging free in the deeper water.  The little grass triangle down the steps at the lock/bridge mouth makes a great private party spot but the "other boat" has grabbed that. You have to make the most of stoppages. I have a theory that the shorter pounds can be self scouring due to lock flows and so all the silt settles out in the longer pounds.

Ok, just talked to Mick, he is up for a bit of dredging this week, he's in holiday. Will call by, don't think I've got your phone number. I wonder if Crt staff would be bothered if we did it while they are around, or maybe wait till weekend? 

19 hours ago, LadyG said:

My first target is/was Hebden Bridge, then onwards, I don't want to go back even though I've had my repairs done at Sowerby Bridge, ty. The Calder is a very scary river in flood, and some of those urban areas are inhabited by scrotes. 

You could still CC between Sowerby Bridge and Brighouse, which wouldn't involve going on the river sections (although with this summer's drought there is little chance of flood anytime soon), and the area should be pretty scrote-free.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Ok, just talked to Mick, he is up for a bit of dredging this week, he's in holiday. Will call by, don't think I've got your phone number. I wonder if Crt staff would be bothered if we did it while they are around, or maybe wait till weekend? 

Weekend would be better. I suspect the CRT workers would be ok but if there is a high level engineer visit we just might be in trouble. I think we are supposed to do a risk assessment, I do have one  that covers working in the silt but it does not cover lifting rocks 😀

Relief from the tedium is at hand @LadyG.

CRT today. 

"A clay embankment is being built to prevent further leakage through the existing embankment. This has therefore extended the duration of the works.

We are hoping to have the works completed by and inclusive of Wednesday 28th September."

As for my mooring pound, talked to a CRT chap, they have cleared the mud and clay from the whole of the little aqueduct, found more leaks and so have got weld mesh cut to size awaiting a concrete pour over the whole area. So that should be about a week too. 

The mooring dredging faeries can meet Saturday morning 10am to do their bit.

Thunderbirds are (almost) go!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/09/2022 at 19:00, Tacet said:

I believe one side of the basin is the C&H and the other side the Rochdale, I'm now on the Rochdale, plus have had my overstay rescinded.

:)

Navigation will be resuming soon. :)

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

On 20/09/2022 at 18:16, dmr said:

Weekend would be better. I suspect the CRT workers would be ok but if there is a high level engineer visit we just might be in trouble. I think we are supposed to do a risk assessment, I do have one  that covers working in the silt but it does not cover lifting rocks 😀

Risk Inundation possible injury Drowning Likelihood High (we are in pennines!) preventive action Shoot the Rain dancer chappie

Risk Tripping on a stone Possible injury Death by banged head Likelihood high Preventive action ensure stereoscopic vision sensors are fully open and working

Risk Severe papercut Possible injury Bleed to death Likelihood high Preventive measure Dont allow staff anywhere near sharp edged paper risk assessments

I'm sure there are more