I am bored

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, IanD said:

You can also borrow e-books from libraries for free, but you need to be a library member and I don't know if this is possible for a CCing boater. I've got 8 library books sitting on my Kobo as I speak...

I never managed to make the system work!

7 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

A friend of mine has vet's bills of nine grand for two week's treatment of her dog. And then it died. Her previous dog (uninsurable) cost her seven. And it died too. Dog owners are ridiculous and dogs are noisy, dirty,  smelly and they are generally out of the owner's control.

Trombones are just noisy. You can get a mute to make them quieter. Ever tried muting a dog? Get a trombone. 

Seven pounds for a dog ridiculous ive bought cars for less than that, and 9000 in vets fees what? I bought a fully functioning 70 foot grand union motor with a wfbco rebottom and footings for less than that a bit ago.

You can't put a price on man's best friend. Seven pounds seems reasonable to me. 

It's better to put a pound on a dog, then put a dog in a pound. 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

You can't put a price on man's best friend. Seven pounds seems reasonable to me. 

It's better to put a pound on a dog, then put a dog in a pound. 

Christ, I'm bored. I've started quoting my own posts and talking to myself. 

Might have to join thunderboat if things get much worse. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

With reference to earlier posts, is there a minimum boat length to operate a trombone?  

The boat length is irrelevant, what matters is the distance between the trombone and the next boat. I reckon, like CRTs fishing idea, about ten yards is reasonable.

I've not been clear.  As you use a trombone, it gets longer and shorter.  There must be a minimum boat length or you will not be able to get all the notes.  But I suppose you could always open a window, but would the waterside or the towpath side be safer for others?

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

I've not been clear.  As you use a trombone, it gets longer and shorter.  There must be a minimum boat length or you will not be able to get all the notes.  But I suppose you could always open a window, but would the waterside or the towpath side be safer for others?

As Arthur says,about six feet.

There are B flat and F Trombones also known as "trigger Trombones"which have an extra section of tubing behind the bell. There are seven slide shifts on a Trombone and when the trigger is operated it takes the place of sixth position (or shift) so the instrument can be not only be played in a smaller space, as in a pit orchestra where you may have a Trumpet or Clarinet player right in front of you, but also the trigger makes playing certain bits of music that require large movements of the slide, much smoother.

As for volume,with practice the Trombone can be played very quietly as well as having the ability to obliterate a full orchestra.

If you see a symphony orchestra on tv, you will see (because of 'elf and safety) perspex screens between the brass section and the rest of the orchestra.

20 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

Those ads were quite frustrating, depicting kids posing with factory built models while in the real world us mere mortals struggled with paltry sets. 

Indeed. My first set was not Meccano but a cheap look alike Vogue set, almost compatible with Meccano. As a kid we went to Liverpool to visit my grand parents once a year where of course the Hornby factory in Binns Road was. Consequently all the toy and model shops sold heaps and heaps of s/h and new Hornby trains, Dinky toys and Meccano parts. All my Meccano bits I bought at these shops. I never had a Meccano complete set bought for me.  I couldn't wait to get to Liverpool. Head out of the window of the steam hauled train all the way. My dad worked for the railway so had free travel passes for him and mum and cheap privilige tickets for my sister an I, our dog went free.

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Indeed. My first set was not Meccano but a cheap look alike Vogue set, almost compatible with Meccano. As a kid we went to Liverpool to visit my grand parents once a year where of course the Hornby factory in Binns Road was. Consequently all the toy and model shops sold heaps and heaps of s/h and new Hornby trains, Dinky toys and Meccano parts. All my Meccano bits I bought at these shops. I never had a Meccano complete set bought for me.  I couldn't wait to get to Liverpool. Head out of the window of the steam hauled train all the way. My dad worked for the railway so had free travel passes for him and mum and cheap privilige tickets for my sister an I, our dog went free.

Happy days no doubt  😄

On 15/09/2022 at 08:47, Arthur Marshall said:

A friend of mine has vet's bills of nine grand for two week's treatment of her dog. And then it died. Her previous dog (uninsurable) cost her seven. And it died too. Dog owners are ridiculous and dogs are noisy, dirty,  smelly and they are generally out of the owner's control.

Trombones are just noisy. You can get a mute to make them quieter. Ever tried muting a dog? Get a trombone. 

What!!!??  Lucy the whippet was so upset when she read this that she just stood with her tail between her legs looking upset and vibrated. It took ages to cheer her up and several biscuits. She told me to tell you that if she sees a trombone lying around on a boat anywhere she will run off with it and take it home so I can melt it down and turn it into something useful. As for dog owners being ridiculous neither of us knows what you could possibly mean.  Anyway, we have a game of chess going on and the whippet has just taken my queen.