I am bored

LadyG

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

As title, I usually move on, but now it's ' a Stoppage.'

Apart from getting my first ever overstay notice, grrr!!!!I,   've run out of ideas.

Done a jigsaw, seen a film, been swimming regularly, walked alternative days, topped up food and drink, slept a lot, watched YouTube a lot.

Read a book.

Been to local museums 

Another film tomorrow.

Read "a book"!!!!!. Try a second one, Enjoy your environment while you can. 

I have the answer.

You need a companion, no not that sort, you need a pet, not a parrot or a hamster, but a dog.

Preferably a Jack or Collie.  They will keep you occupied all day, night as well, they will require exercising three or four times a day, and require attention between times.  You will have no time to become bored, but you do it all as you come to love them.  In return, they will provide all the loyalty and companionship you ever require, giving you exercise and good mental and physical health. They will caution undesirable visitors and enchant the spotters and all you meet, providing additional social contact.  There is nothing not to like.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

21 hours ago, LadyG said:

I usually move on, but now it's ' a Stoppage.'

Apart from getting my first ever overstay notice, grrr!!!!I,   've run out of ideas.

Move the boat then.  If you're still where you were last time, you can pootle around three different "functional locations" without using a lock, and four if you go back down the previous one.

I was talking to a chap at Hebden yesterday who has just had an overstay notice, so it seems they are active over that way at the moment.

They'll be coming for @dmr next ...

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Move the boat then.  If you're still where you were last time, you can pootle around three different "functional locations" without using a lock, and four if you go back down the previous one.

I was talking to a chap at Hebden yesterday who has just had an overstay notice, so it seems they are active over that way at the moment.

They'll be coming for @dmr next ...

Nah, you're fine on the Rochdale, its closed more than its open so no need to move.  There is a great big hole near the summit now and because the Rochdale is already stopped they have not even issued a stoppage notice.  😀

Aqueduct repair IMG_3004.jpg

“Vet bills.” that is what insurance is for.  :-)

“A collie – they need a lot of stimulation and exercise,” I know that's why I chose it, and the Jack too, Lady G, seems very bored.  Sorry if she had limited mobility, maybe a cat then.

26 minutes ago, MtB said:

Agree with all the above except the last sentence. I've heard about some of the vet bills when one's doggy companion gets ill, and you could buy a low end narrowboat for some of them.

A friend of mine has vet's bills of nine grand for two week's treatment of her dog. And then it died. Her previous dog (uninsurable) cost her seven. And it died too. Dog owners are ridiculous and dogs are noisy, dirty,  smelly and they are generally out of the owner's control.

Trombones are just noisy. You can get a mute to make them quieter. Ever tried muting a dog? Get a trombone. 

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

5 minutes ago, Peanut said:

“Vet bills.” that is what insurance is for.  🙂

“A collie – they need a lot of stimulation and exercise,” I know that's why I chose it, and the Jack too, Lady G, seems very bored.  Sorry if she had limited mobility, maybe a cat then.

Lady G has Arthur the cat. Or at least I hope she does 

Have you thought about joining an Internet discussion forum to alleviate boredom lady g? 

I sympathise. Sometimes on our boat we run out of stuff to do. Mrs. Bee finds things to do (or not she is actually very lazy ) wheras I turn into a bear with a sore head and stomp about sighing heavily and growling at the dog. In the end it comes down to looking in the paint locker and realising that the paint would be better on the boat than sitting in a tin.

44 minutes ago, Bee said:

In the end it comes down to looking in the paint locker and realising that the paint would be better on the boat than sitting in a tin.

You can spend a good couple of days preparing the bit to be painted, but then something else intervenes. Then when you are next bored you can re-prepare the bit ...... and on ad infinitum.  🤷‍♂️

Who wants a shiny boat anyway?

Tam

• Greenie 1

I could send you the bits and pieces to make new tie backs for the curtains on Kelpie. I think I bought them just  after we bought the boat and they are still in  drawer on Kelpie. When I come across them I think "must get these made" but it hasn't happened yet 🙂 

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Dog owners are ridiculous and dogs are noisy, dirty,  smelly and they are generally out of the owner's control.

Can't say I disagree with you - I have one small shorthaired dog (a pug) and within 30 seconds of the slightest hint of moisture in the air the whole boat stinks of wet dog! 😩😂. However I would argue that every part of your statement could be applied to children and they are even more expensive than dogs. Perhaps LadyG should avoid getting either a boat dog or boat child?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peanut said:

Yes, I miss my cat, I keep thinking about it, not seen the perfect one yet, but I'm in the ideal location. The local rescue places have not been happy about  boat living, but essentially I've not seen one that ticks the boxes: healthy , former stray probably best.

I do like dogs, but cate are more self contained.

I've got some things "to do",but lacking motivation today, again. Got the paintbrush out, that's a start.

Library was closed yesterday, staffing difficulties.

2 hours ago, Peanut said:

I do like dogs, but cats are more self contained.

I don't insure, took a hit when last one died, but it is to be expected, sooner or later.

Edited by LadyG

15 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

There is a Sue Rider charity shop in Sowerby Bridge that has a very large collection of secondhand books.

Checked them out, nothing, jigsaws very disappointing. They seemed to have sold my donations already, I'm going back with another handbag today, and some more cookery books.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Checked them out, nothing, jigsaws very disappointing. They seemed to have sold my donations already, I'm going back with another handbag today, and some more cookery books.

You might already have this, but just in case- to save on storage pace (and to vastly increase your choice of books) you could read books on a kindle, or even on your phone with a kindle or similar reading app. 

There are lots of free classics- the likes of Dickens, Shakespeare etc, and lots of cheapo books for a quid or two, that aren't the best quality but quite readable. 

The recent/good/popular books seem to be the same price for kindle as it costs to buy a hard copy, so you wont save any money on those, but the kindle app is free, and many books are free too, so you can at least try it all out for free. 

Also, your personal library is always known to the app, so when you get a new phone you can just log in to the app, and all your existing books can be downloaded, and a phone will hold thousands of downloaded books. Once they're on your phone you can read them without an internet signal too, so it works in remote locations. 

Many people dont like reading books on a phone or a tablet, so it wont work for everyone, but its certainly worth a try, even if only as a backup to buying books from charity shops etc.

Edited by Tony1

20 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

You might already have this, but just in case- to save on storage pace (and to vastly increase your choice of books) you could read books on a kindle, or even on your phone with a kindle or similar reading app. 

There are lots of free classics- the likes of Dickens, Shakespeare etc, and lots of cheapo books for a quid or two, that aren't the best quality but quite readable. 

The recent/good/popular books seem to be the same price for kindle as it costs to buy a hard copy, so you wont save any money on those, but the kindle app is free, and many books are free too, so you can at least try it all out for free. 

Also, your personal library is always known to the app, so when you get a new phone you can just log in to the app, and all your existing books can be downloaded, and a phone will hold thousands of downloaded books. Once they're on your phone you can read them without an internet signal too, so it works in remote locations. 

Many people dont like reading books on a phone or a tablet, so it wont work for everyone, but its certainly worth a try, even if only as a backup to buying books from charity shops etc.

You can also borrow e-books from libraries for free, but you need to be a library member and I don't know if this is possible for a CCing boater. I've got 8 library books sitting on my Kobo as I speak...

On 14/09/2022 at 11:27, bizzard said:

Lots of s/h Meccano on Ebay cheap. Construct wonderful things and fix many things on your boat with it. It will keep you occupied for hours and hours. :)

meccano-advertisement-outfit-instructions-7-8.jpg

Those ads were quite frustrating, depicting kids posing with factory built models while in the real world us mere mortals struggled with paltry sets. 

19 minutes ago, IanD said:

You can also borrow e-books from libraries for free, but you need to be a library member and I don't know if this is possible for a CCing boater. I've got 8 library books sitting on my Kobo as I speak...

That's a cracking idea, I'm going to get onto that asap

2 hours ago, MrsM said:

Can't say I disagree with you - I have one small shorthaired dog (a pug) and within 30 seconds of the slightest hint of moisture in the air the whole boat stinks of wet dog! 😩😂. However I would argue that every part of your statement could be applied to children and they are even more expensive than dogs. Perhaps LadyG should avoid getting either a boat dog or boat child?

Can't stand smelly dogs 🤮

Think we must be lucky. Whenever ours gets wet (which is often because he is a proper water dog) he just smells of whatever coconut stuff the groomers use on him.

Not sure why. Perhaps because he has to go and be groomed every 8 weeks being a non shedder perhaps?

As for Lady G's boredom. There must be a million and one things she can do. Boredom is just a lack of imagination and inspiration. There is always something to do.

44 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

That's a cracking idea, I'm going to get onto that asap

https://www.gutenberg.org/

They claim to have over 60,000 ebooks for free (i say claim as i'm not willing to count them :D)

That should keep you busy once you exhaust the library.

And if you find a book in a format not supported by your device, you can use a free program such as https://calibre-ebook.com/ to convert and upload to your device (i've been using it for years with mine and the wife's kindle).

• Greenie 1