I am bored

LadyG

Featured Posts

As title, I usually move on, but now it's ' a Stoppage.'

Apart from getting my first ever overstay notice, grrr!!!!I,   've run out of ideas.

Done a jigsaw, seen a film, been swimming regularly, walked alternative days, topped up food and drink, slept a lot, watched YouTube a lot.

Read a book.

Been to local museums 

Another film tomorrow.

Edited by LadyG

Sewing - it's the most wonderfully mindful activity. Clothes, curtains/blinds etc for the boat. Lots of online fabric shops. There are also some beautiful narrowboat embroidery projects, eg

https://mariescrossstitch.co.uk/modern-narrow-boat-cross-stitch-kit-by-heritage/?sku=HCNBMN944A

https://mariescrossstitch.co.uk/canal-boat-tapestry-kit/?sku=BNT1950&gclid=Cj0KCQjw94WZBhDtARIsAKxWG--VjYP75D4qEensBNT_VZvF4beClhAB8JAF4I_VZ8cE99IMr2W7qs8aAik1EALw_wcB

Edited by MrsM
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

As title, I usually move on, but now it's ' a Stoppage.'

Apart from getting my first ever overstay notice, grrr!!!!I,   've run out of ideas.

Done a jigsaw, seen a film, been swimming regularly, walked alternative days, topped up food and drink, slept a lot, watched YouTube a lot.

Read a book.

Been to local museums 

Another film tomorrow.

Practice cruising backwards....

Endless fun! 

31 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Sewing - it's the most wonderfully mindful activity. Clothes, curtains/blinds etc for the boat. Lots of online fabric shops. There are also some beautiful narrowboat embroidery projects, eg

https://mariescrossstitch.co.uk/modern-narrow-boat-cross-stitch-kit-by-heritage/?sku=HCNBMN944A

https://mariescrossstitch.co.uk/canal-boat-tapestry-kit/?sku=BNT1950&gclid=Cj0KCQjw94WZBhDtARIsAKxWG--VjYP75D4qEensBNT_VZvF4beClhAB8JAF4I_VZ8cE99IMr2W7qs8aAik1EALw_wcB

Did you see that absolutely amazing model of Sandringham 18 feet long knitted by some lady?

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Aren't there usually at least a few dozen jobs on the 'still needs doing' list on a boat. Cleaning, painting, fixing, modifying or making. Must be enough of those to keep boredom at bay for a while.

Yes, all of those.

I can't be botbersd 

I bought a craft thingy to braid wool., It's not on my to do list this week.

I've got curtains.

Sorry to be negative.

Edited by LadyG

Paint something, then watch it dry.

Organise your cupboards.

Organise your drawers.

Do some baking.

Talk to a neighbour.

Look for attractions further away via bus/train.

Shake fist at local children whilst grumbling.

Solve the Ukraine/Russia conflict.

Learn a language (some good apps for this i’m told).

Have a nap.

Plot your escape once stoppage ends.

Phone a relative.

I dunno, i’m (allegedly) busy with laundry and housework. :) 

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Did you see that absolutely amazing model of Sandringham 18 feet long knitted by some lady?

Yes I did - quite amazing. I also get so much pleasure from seeing the crocheted letterbox toppers that are popping up all over the place. Last Christmas I was picking up some bits in my local Lidl and someone popped a beautiful little crocheted flower in my trolley when I wasn't looking with a hand-written label saying something like 'I hope this random act of crochet-kindness makes you happy' or something similar (I hope they didn't think I looked grumpy/unhappy). I love this side of crafting. 

• Greenie 3

Learn that boredom is a normal human feeling that one just has to deal with, whether that's by getting involved in activities to occupy your mind & body, or just by doing nothing and reflecting.

It's not directly related apart from that way society has gone from stiff upper lip to always talking about ones feelings, but we seem to have reached a point in this country where other normal feelings such as mild anxiety and mild depression are treated as mental illnesses requiring medical interventions. 

Obviously like any other illness, if you catch mental health issues early it can prevent further decline, but the trouble is these days when everyone's encouraged to focus on their feelings, a lot of people then feel encouraged to say they've got mental needs.

I heard on the news yesterday that we've got record numbers of people not working now. Some are older and have had a rethink about life and taken early retirement after covid, but there are also record numbers of young people with mental health issues who aren't working. I'm sure many of those have mild anxiety & mild depression but having been mentally diagnosed it then becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy and the problem with that is it takes scarce NHS resources away from those with real mental health issues.

Edit: I've no idea why the font colour changed to red? Must have pressed something inadvertently.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is that your first, you could always contact CRT and spend the morning explaining why you shouldn't have got a ticket

I tried that , but she only works two days a week, so does not answer.

2 hours ago, rgreg said:

Learn to play a musical instrument?

The piano, and banjo, yes neither is easy. I can manage ukulele, might have to make my own !

I got bored while Mrs S was emptying the fridge and the dirty washing into the ( seperate) bike panniers.

Wiping down the engine with gunk turned into torquing all the bolts .

By then she was waiting.

There was then a mild discussion about who had not noticed and fixed the flat tyre on the tandem aquired on cuttings strewn roads between weedon and lapworth yesterday.

We dont do bored

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Aren't there usually at least a few dozen jobs on the 'still needs doing' list on a boat. Cleaning, painting, fixing, modifying or making. Must be enough of those to keep boredom at bay for a while.

I look ke to keep them on standby ,in case of emergency, currently deciding which is priority

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Paint something, then watch it dry.

Organise your cupboards.

Organise your drawers.

Do some baking.

Talk to a neighbour.

Look for attractions further away via bus/train.

Shake fist at local children whilst grumbling.

Solve the Ukraine/Russia conflict.

Learn a language (some good apps for this i’m told).

Have a nap.

Plot your escape once stoppage ends.

Phone a relative.

I dunno, i’m (allegedly) busy with laundry and housework. :) 

amazing, I did my cupboards and drawers two days ago, lol

C'est la vie?

All laundry done.

Been to Charity shop twice, to deposit stuff 

Checked all discounts on Tesco,

Wondering about celotex for porthole liners?

Wondering if I should go to London and sell boat for very large profit , probably not .

PS I knew this would happen once I retired, and still another twenty years to go!

There are blackberries outside, but small and sharp.

No plums or apples.

Edited by LadyG
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Get yourself a trombone. Endless fun annoying the ducks, really hard to play so lots of practice needed. And what could be better at our age than blowing amplified raspberries at the world?

Trumpets are pretty good too, and smaller. Avoid violins and ukeleleles.

Sorry to be a debbie downer, but if memory serves, I recall the trombone being an instrument capable of producing significant number of decibels. 

If Lady G has neighbours with functional eardrums, one can envisage that a very amateur trombonist beginning their musical career in a boat next door could give rise to a certain amount of anger.

Or even the odd stabbing. 

Edited by Tony1

2 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Sorry to be a debbie downer, but if memory serves, I recall the trombone being an instrument capable of producing significant number of decibels. 

If Lady G has neighbours with functional eardrums, one can envisage that a very amateur trombonist beginning their career in the next boat could give rise to friction.

Or even the odd stabbing. 

When I was learning, one bloke in a boat moored up behind said he thought someone was having a heart attack. He never came to check though, so, back into the thread subject, obviously one of the selfish ones.

But it doesn't have to be played loud, it's just trombonists find it more fun that way.

• Haha 1

Ok, so I'm just sort of workshopping a solution here... but it might be possible to join some kind of online discussion group- a forum, if you will- with a bunch of wonderfully polite and welcoming people who never get grumpy, and who share a common lifestyle interest, who will keep you entertained for the evening with their wit and repartee.

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

When I was learning, one bloke in a boat moored up behind said he thought someone was having a heart attack. He never came to check though, so, back into the thread subject, obviously one of the selfish ones.

But it doesn't have to be played loud, it's just trombonists find it more fun that way.

Perhaps he hesitated because his insurance didn't cover the rescue of dying trombonists. 

PS- when you are still learning that instrument, I'm not sure you can justify the name of 'trombonist'. 

I feel like you are probably a trombonista, at best. 

Edited by Tony1
  • Haha 1