Flight empty of water

Onionman

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

Yep the stockton pound is down. On arrival at our mooring we were 8 feet from the bank. After 2 hrs work we are 7 feet from the bank.

If you mean the pound with Kate Boats and Nelson Wharf on it, it was fine yesterday when we passed through (as was the Stockton Flight itself, although that was about midday).

Today the pound above Radford Bottom Lock looked to be about 6 inches down, we were going to moor there but changed our mind, went through Bottom Lock and have moored just beyond the overflow into the River Leam, where water is currently pouring from the canal into the river.

8 hours ago, IanM said:

We're quick to blame the paddles or gates but with the widened GU lock flights could the leak be through one of the abandoned narrow locks somehow?  Not saying it is, just that it could be a possibility.

I think that’s unlikely as the old chambers have been dammed with concrete and have been converted into by-washes. Those that are open - the ones that haven’t been covered to give access to the broad lock -are navigable.

A combination of a small shallow upper pound, an empty lock, leaking top gates and worn and/or slightly ajar bottom gate mitres is all it needs to drain overnight.

3 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Yes, I'd always thought those Ham Baker's were hydraulic (they feel like it when you are winding them) but apparently not, they seem to be more like a bottle jack on a car.

image.png.df555e6a6005ae48de9e6d05cc513ff2.png

My method (now that I've realised they are supposed to be lowered under gravity) is to release the pawl (or whatever they call it on those paddles) and using a gloved hand control the descent until it is down. If it hasn't fully bedded I just give it a turn by hand.

A full drawing 

1234096033_HamBakerwindingmechanism.jpg.3c8b9cb88d8fea1e0248c31b8b558fec.jpg

Edited by ditchcrawler

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A full drawing 

1234096033_HamBakerwindingmechanism.jpg.3c8b9cb88d8fea1e0248c31b8b558fec.jpg

We were earlierhaving a discussion regarding these paddles. OH was saying that whenever it might be necessary to slightly open the top gate paddle to stop the bottom gates swinging open, it is very stiff to close the paddle again. On one of the locks towards the bottom of the Stockton Flight, one of the paddles was extremely stiff to raise, I don't know how stiff it would be to shut in an emergency (boat cilled, etc).

3 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

If you mean the pound with Kate Boats and Nelson Wharf on it, it was fine yesterday when we passed through (as was the Stockton Flight itself, although that was about midday).

Today the pound above Radford Bottom Lock looked to be about 6 inches down, we were going to moor there but changed our mind, went through Bottom Lock and have moored just beyond the overflow into the River Leam, where water is currently pouring from the canal into the river.

Thats where we were last night!

Must have passed you!

16 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Thats where we were last night!

Must have passed you!

Yes, there seemed to be more boats coming up (against us) than there were going down, the Bascote staircase was fun though (1 down (us), 2 up). Needed a bit of explanation to the lock crew from the 'up' boats of what we were going to do.:)

On 14/09/2022 at 18:01, Captain Pegg said:

I think that’s unlikely as the old chambers have been dammed with concrete and have been converted into by-washes. Those that are open - the ones that haven’t been covered to give access to the broad lock -are navigable.

A combination of a small shallow upper pound, an empty lock, leaking top gates and worn and/or slightly ajar bottom gate mitres is all it needs to drain overnight.

Are any of the old narrow locks between Napton and Knowle still navigable?

Apologies, posted then caught covid and didn't check in as I was feeling a tad miserable.

Thanks for all the suggestions; we were at the bottom and I think it was just a night's leakage.  We did manage OK but I will definitely bear in mind the half open sluices to avoid moving too much silt.

Thanks all!