Heating

AlX

Featured Posts

I burn smokeless fuel (excel preferred) in my squirrel, it easily lasts the night.

However I am considering switching to wood, because I can't abide the smell if a gust of wind blows some of the fumes in through a vent. But I am worried about getting it to last the night and also storing that kind of quantity of fuel (wood being 40% as energy dense).

Another option I think I could try is a 3' chimney, obviously I'll have to switch it for cruising.

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

The OP has an e-mail address which looks genuine and is related to his forum name, so definitely human, I'd say.

This is where it gets harder and harder. Matching the email address to the forum name is just an extra line, or two in the bots automated sign up software. Come to think of it, my sign up email address and forum name are only loosely connected, but then, I'm a sophisticated bot, who is trying to prevent any competitive bots from evolving by shutting them down.

It is a lot more difficult than it used to be when we only had to spot that an email from an ousted Nigerian prince with $10,000,000 that they need help accessing might not be entirely genuine.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

we only had to spot that an email from an ousted Nigerian prince with $10,000,000 that they need help accessing might not be entirely genuine.

I read once that the unbelievable nature of the claim (complete with spelling errors etc) is intentional, designed to have the marks self-select. If you are targeting a million people with this scam, it is best if they filter themselves down to just the 100 most gullible, so that you don't waste time and resources following up and communicating with people who will eventually baulk when it is time for them to wire the scammers the "small transfer fee" for their Nigerian gajillions.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, Athy said:

The OP has an e-mail address which looks genuine and is related to his forum name, so definitely human, I'd say.

There's no fooling you, is there!!

😄

19 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It is a lot more difficult than it used to be when we only had to spot that an email from an ousted Nigerian prince with $10,000,000 that they need help accessing might not be entirely genuine.

He died recently and left the lot to Battersea Dogs Home.

He knew he was ill and tried to give it all away before he died apparently, but no-one would answer his emails.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm getting curious now. Why does an email address that 'looks genuine' mean a human signed up for the account not a bot?

We know the email is real as it will have been sent an authentication link to be clicked to set up the account.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I'm getting curious now. Why does an email address that 'looks genuine' mean a human signed up for the account not a bot?

A rather outmoded commodity called "common sense", perhaps.

Edited by Athy

On 16/09/2022 at 15:25, MtB said:

If you think 'common sense' helps you outwit an Artificial Intelligence, this just illustrates how little you understand about the subject! 

...or how much "artificial intelligence" understands about real life. For example, I recently asked Ryanair's web site a quite reasonable and sensible question regarding luggage allowances. Back came a reply saying that the recipient was a "bot" and did not understand my question, and xcould I please use fewer words in it.

6 hours ago, Athy said:

...or how much "artificial intelligence" understands about real life. For example, I recently asked Ryanair's web site a quite reasonable and sensible question regarding luggage allowances. Back came a reply saying that the recipient was a "bot" and did not understand my question, and xcould I please use fewer words in it.

I think we all know: buy a small luggage case with wheels from Savers, per person. These go in lockers.

Wear plenty of clothing onboard.

You can take extra luggage to a place which weighs it and charges.

Just ask the question, cut out the "reasonable and sensible, regarding allowances for luggage.

The website will answer all reasonable and sensible questions, that is how things works nowadays.

Edited by LadyG

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think we all know: buy a small luggage case with wheels from Savers, per person. These go in lockers.

Wear plenty of clothing onboard.

You can take extra luggage to a place which weighs it and charges.

Just ask the question, cut out the "reasonable and sensible, regarding allowances for luggage.

The website will answer all reasonable and sensible questions, that is how things works nowadays.

With respect, most of what you've said is entirely incorrect.

As for small cases with wheels....aarrrggghhh!

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

LadyG answered your question and you responded with "With respect, most of what you've said is entirely incorrect", thereby illustrating you must already know the answers.

But I didn't know when I asked the question, otherwise I obviously would not have asked it.

On 13/09/2022 at 14:32, Loddon said:

On a serious note.

Ecoal 

https://www.homefire.co.uk/ecoal50.html

Used to be called Ecoal 50 made from a percentage of olive stones. Think they had to drop the 50 as it was shown it wasn't 50% olive stones.

Burns long and hot 

Heat logs do what they say, however even a sniff if damp and they revert to their component parts...........Sawdust🤭

I had a bag of that olive stone stuff. It seemed in my experience not to burn for long, but it lit very easily (I ended up using it as kindling) and smelt quite pleasant (although not everyone agreed). I've not seen it in my usual merchants for a couple of years or more.

5 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

I had a bag of that olive stone stuff. It seemed in my experience not to burn for long, but it lit very easily (I ended up using it as kindling) and smelt quite pleasant (although not everyone agreed). I've not seen it in my usual merchants for a couple of years or more.

Stays in overnight in my stove. Still available from Wickes and various other places. They have dropped the 50 and is now just Ecoal.

We use the Homefire Heatlogs mainly, used to use 'Hardwood Briquettes' when that's what the nearest fuel boat supplied. I like the heatlogs - should be more eco friendly than any coal variation, more energy dense than wood and take up less storage space (than wood). They do burn faster and take a bit more watching than coal, but we don't keep the fire in overnight anyway (due to noisy radiator circulation pump by our heads).

We got them from Wickes last year, easy delivery to anywhere we were located, though the price has gone from 3 packs for £15 last winter to 3 for £25! Need to shop around a bit I think...

Edited by Ewan123