Heating

AlX

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, sunny said:

Jesus What about camel shit

Which fuel boats sell that then? 

Everyone uses wood or solid fuel because that is what the fuel boats sell. Or perhaps it's the other way around.

Although on reflection I'm not so sure my local fuel boat sells wood! 

There are things called heat logs that will burn for a few hours, but they are a couple of quid each, and you might need 4 per day to keep the fire going 24/7, so it would get a bit expensive compared to coal. 

Things like that might tide you over for a few days if you run out of coal before the fuel boat's next trip, and they're fairly light, so you could bring back an armful of them from a local supermarket pretty easily, but I wouldn't personally view them as a full-time fuel. 

2 hours ago, Tony1 said:

There are things called heat logs that will burn for a few hours, but they are a couple of quid each, and you might need 4 per day to keep the fire going 24/7, so it would get a bit expensive compared to coal. 

Things like that might tide you over for a few days if you run out of coal before the fuel boat's next trip, and they're fairly light, so you could bring back an armful of them from a local supermarket pretty easily, but I wouldn't personally view them as a full-time fuel. 

Tesco had some at reduced price with clubcard last week, I bought one but not tried it yet it's still summer.

I'm getting fuel next week, Excel is now £14, was £11, logs now £10, up from £9, I think . Keeping my fire going without feeding it every four or five hours is the problem. It uses lots of kindling to revive the coal. 

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

Tesco had some at reduced price with clubcard last week, I bought one but not tried it yet it's still summer.

I'm getting fuel next week, Excel is now £14, was £11, logs now £10, up from £9, I think . Keeping my fire going without feeding it every four or five hours is the problem. It uses lots of kindling to revive the coal. 

Get a Squirrel. Mine would stay in easily for 24 hours and often 48 hours, well banked up with solid fuel. (Not wood.)

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

I bought one but not tried it yet it's still summer.

Surely the Scots summer doesn't officially end until Nov15th? 

I recall a byelaw prohibiting the use of solid fuel by any Scots person until the start of December. Being resident in England, you may be safe from extradition and trial, but I would tread carefully.  

Our dear Mrs Haggis takes these rules very seriously. The icicles have to be hanging from Mr Haggis' nose for no less than three days before she will relent and light the stove.

As a feeble Sassenach, I'm already pondering whether the annual First Stove Lighting ceremony is almost upon us.

But the one feature I dislike about my Hamlet Hardy stove is that the air vents are tiny. The movement of the air knob between fully open and closed is about a centimetre, so it's fiddly to be precise about regulating the burning. 

I do love a first world problem...

Edited by Tony1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, AlX said:

I'm trying to get ready for winter. What do you use to heat your stove? Wood and coal are options I'd prefer not to use but am thinking of pellets, briquettes etc.

To use pellets you need a pellet burning stove, hopper fed and a fan to burn them inside the stove.

On a serious note.

Ecoal 

https://www.homefire.co.uk/ecoal50.html

Used to be called Ecoal 50 made from a percentage of olive stones. Think they had to drop the 50 as it was shown it wasn't 50% olive stones.

Burns long and hot 

Heat logs do what they say, however even a sniff if damp and they revert to their component parts...........Sawdust🤭

19 hours ago, MtB said:

Well 'solid fuel'. One cannot buy proper house coal legally for domestic use nowadays.

My understanding is that what has been banned is the sale of bagged coal. It is still legal  to sell loose coal  (assuming you can find any to sell),  but you need a licence that costs around £1000, and a record has to be kept of the quantity, as well as the name and delivery adress,  to which coal is delivered,  so few coal merchants have bothered. The topic was discussed in a thread a year or so ago. 

On 12/09/2022 at 19:20, AlX said:

I'm trying to get ready for winter. What do you use to heat your stove? Wood and coal are options I'd prefer not to use but am thinking of pellets, briquettes etc.

Welcome to the forum. Are you named after a class of Stroudley locomotive or a city in France?

Why on earth would you not want to burn coal or wood? Do you simply want to make life more difficult for yourself? They are the obvious things to feed your stove on, and wood can, of course, often be free.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Welcome to the3 forum. Are you named after a class of Stroudley locomotive or a city in France?

Why on earth would you not want to burn coal or wood? Do you simply want to make life more difficult for yourself? They are the obvious things to feed your stove on, and wood can, of course, often be free.

I thought the whole OP looked suspiciously like a post by that AI bot hanging around and occasionally posting dopey questions on here. The last time it did it was that thread asking what bait to use when shark fishing from a kayak. This thread opened with similarly daft question but far more credible, just as you expect as the AI learns better how to mimic proper genuine thread-starting questions. 

Edited by MtB
Speeling.

3 hours ago, MtB said:

I thought the whole OP looked suspiciously like a post by that AI bot hanging around and occasionally posting dopey questions on here. The last time it did it was that thread asking what bait to use when shark fishing from a kayak. This thread opened with similarly daft question but far more credible, just as you expect as the AI learns better how to mimic proper genuine thread-starting questions. 

If this is a bot, then it has started nine threads and only once replied to one of its own threads. All the rest are similar; short, slightly off, but credible questions, with no follow up. Perhaps a person imitating a bot?! Apologies if the OP is a human and we have questioned if they are a bot. Also apologies if the OP is a bot and we are wondering if they are human.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If this is a bot, then it has started nine threads and only once replied to one of its own threads. All the rest are similar; short, slightly off, but credible questions, with no follow up. Perhaps a person imitating a bot?! Apologies if the OP is a human and we have questioned if they are a bot. Also apologies if the OP is a bot and we are wondering if they are human.

Having had a look at their posting history, I'd say that nice Mr Occam would say his shaving instrument says it's a bot. 

10 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The OP has an e-mail address which looks genuine and is related to his forum name, so definitely human, I'd say.