25mm2 cable

blackrose

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I would notice if the batteries were not getting charged, the lights would go out, after about five days!

It is in a corner, it cant be switched on or off inadvertantly. I could add a plastic cover from a Morrisons cream cake, that will enclose it.

For someone who did a lot of spouting off in the past about jobs not being done to the correct standard this seems bit of a turn round

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

For someone who did a lot of spouting off in the past about jobs not being done to the correct standard this seems bit of a turn round

Exactly, I paid someone to fit it, it was his job to fit it to standard.

This thing is safe, in my opinion.

That is the main thing.

The first "electrician" who removed my 2500 w inverter charger charged £375 per day. So that was a cost to me of about £555.  I no longer have a working washing machine. I now charge with my CTek portable if on shoreline.

He decided my fridge needed new wiring, charged me another day.

Next so called electrician spent a day looking at my electrics, and could not even get the  battery banks right. 

One did change some domestic batteries but insisted he buy them, I have no idea what they are,other than AGM.

Spouting off, warning other innocents to beware of people who are not boat electricians but are happy to take my money.

e w

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

The correct cover is only a couple of quid from somewhere like Screwfix 🥱

Fine.

Edited by LadyG

53 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Exactly, I paid someone to fit it, it was his job to fit it to standard.

This thing is safe, in my opinion.

That is the main thing.

The first "electrician" who removed my 2500 w inverter charger charged £375 per day. So that was a cost to me of about £555.  I no longer have a working washing machine. I now charge with my CTek portable if on shoreline.

He decided my fridge needed new wiring, charged me another day.

Next so called electrician spent a day looking at my electrics, and could not even get the  battery banks right. 

One did change some domestic batteries but insisted he buy them, I have no idea what they are,other than AGM.

Spouting off, warning other innocents to beware of people who are not boat electricians but are happy to take my money.

e w

Fine.

I have 4 of them Jo they live in a cupboard on a bit of DIN rail like yours. Never likely to be turned off by accident, 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

13 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

I think you'll find it is. Either way I would want additional protection against unintended operation which an enclosure would provide. 

On my boat the 12V switches/overloads are very easy to brush against while entering or exiting the cabin from the stern deck. Discovering the lights are not working in the front cabin can be an annoyance. One day I will laser cut an acrylic cover to reduce the likelihood of this. 

No a simple enclosure won't protect the toggle. It would need an enclosure with some sort of cover or lid.

Personally I would want a din rail mounted breaker in an enclosure but its not essential in this case. 

There is some bollox in this thread I have to say. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Thank you,

I have had the breaker in place for three years. It is not exposed to random passers-by or even random boat Inhabitants

There is no danger to anyone if it is turned off.

It passed the BSC examiner.

What a storm in a teacup.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Boats 'pass' the BSS examination everyday that should fail as they are non compliant, the standard of inspection is not only poor but very inconsistant, it really does the BSS no favours when blatant examples of non compliance can be readily seen but still they pass, and, more worrying, when a boat should 'pass' but the examiner makes up his own version of the rules and fails it.

The system is 'broken'.

12 hours ago, jonathanA said:

No a simple enclosure won't protect the toggle. It would need an enclosure with some sort of cover or lid.

Personally I would want a din rail mounted breaker in an enclosure but its not essential in this case. 

There is some bollox in this thread I have to say. 

So I was wrong then saying it was a BSS requirement

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Thank you,

I have had the breaker in place for three years. It is not exposed to random passers-by or even random boat Inhabitants

There is no danger to anyone if it is turned off.

What a storm in a teacup.

I seem to remember your original installation of a gas cooker passed a BSS inspection. I would agree with you that I don't think what you have is dangerous being very low voltage but the next BSS inspector may just follow the requirements of the checks

On 23/09/2022 at 20:01, Richard10002 said:

When you say "you", who on earth are you talking about?

I agree that it is unlikely to be an every day occurrence. I probably disconnect mine between 2 and 4 times a month, although I haven't kept an actual record.

There will be some who never disconnect, some who do it as little as you, and some who do it more than me.

We are talking about a piddling little switch.... the world is full of them and, mostly, they make life easier, rather than more complicated.

Like you say.... there are no rules..... although you seem to want to encourage people to do as you do :) 

Just what I was thinking too. This thread is now over 120 posts, about a piddling little switch, let's hope Blackrose never tries to install a LiFePO4 system like yours. It would be the first one million post thread, I bet! 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Nobody is forced to reply or post responses on any thread. You post because you want to. This thread isn't only about a switch, it covers other things too, but the point is if you're not interested or think a thread is too long then you're perfectly free to ignore it.

I'm not sure why anyone would bother to say they are concerned about how long a thread has become and in doing so add more posts to that thread themselves? Perhaps they are worried about how much digital space is being occupied? 

Let's hope they never have anything serious to worry about!

• Greenie 1