Aylesbury Basin 1966

LEO

Featured Posts

I thought one section of this film might interest some members, it features Aylesbury in 1966. At 2.50 there is a small section showing the covered bay and storage building fronting Walton Street. I seem to recall a crane adjoining this building, but that has gone. 

In 1964 I used to spend lunchtimes eating rolls purchased from Jackson's bakery nearby, sitting by this warehouse and recall narrowboats being converted, I see there is a Dolphin cruiser for sale at £750.

The film is interesting as a fair few of the redeveloped buildings in the town have had a short life of perhaps 20/25 years before being knocked down and the site re-developed for a second time .

The warehouse was demolished and Kingfisher House replaced it, there is a a glut of offices in the town now and Kingfisher House was converted to flats.

Shame the proposal to continue the canal to connect with the Thames at Dorchester was never implemented.

https://youtu.be/GC3ANJ43Ado

• Greenie 1

Brilliant stuff. Our first daughter was born in Aylesbury, and for a season I worked with Bob Moore who was Aylesbury Amplifying Services, supplying sound and communication equipment to shows, fete's, and horse events not just in Aylesbury, but much farther afield. His base was his home in Stone.

My familiarity with the basin only started in 1979, so I missed the covered warehouses, though the crane was still there (moved from its original site I believe). It was a thriving little community through the eighties. The town scenes are very familiar as I drove London Country buses on 301 and Green Line 706 from 1970.

798704351_AYbasin0003.JPG.88ee8ebddb09084cd3555107cf83c795.JPG

795290577_AYbasin20001.JPG.2915f1aad54ed3c7c84ca707889d4560.JPG

The Wharf. The Ship Inn far left, with Jackson's bakery behind.

1978126042_AYbasin0001.JPG.60976bd365308bf2d3d7d514057e6622.JPG

Beyond the boats is where Kingfisher House was built. The huts were thought to be those associated with Harvey Taylor's business.

592590953_AYbasin0002.JPG.ea2839d800ec531e55c70c1eda38398e.JPG

Edited by Derek R.

I thought you would like this. Another interesting point cropped up on UTUBE...I would have thought the Ship inn was built around the same time as the canal, but a local historian bought an old Will off Ebay, this dealt with the disposal of a persons estate, the will was dated 1737 and made specific mention of the Ship inn.

Aylesbury Canal Society celebrates its 50th birthday next weekend at Circus Field basin.  It is a year late, thanks to COVID but......  All welcome, too late now to book Saturday night food though. 

Bar open Friday night Saturday, Sunday. The Dungbeatles are playing  Saturday, Silly games and duck-racing Sunday for charity.

N

On 11/09/2022 at 21:16, BEngo said:

Aylesbury Canal Society celebrates its 50th birthday next weekend at Circus Field basin.  It is a year late, thanks to COVID but......  All welcome, too late now to book Saturday night food though. 

Bar open Friday night Saturday, Sunday. The Dungbeatles are playing  Saturday, Silly games and duck-racing Sunday for charity.

N

Best wishes.

We enjoyed our time at the Alesbury Canal Society, and indeed in Aylesbury at the beginning and end of our annual cruises.

An interesting film which brought back quite a few childhood meories. As a small matter of interest the hideous office block built opposite Harvey Taylor's old sheds was built on the site of my Uncle's Motor Cycle sales and servicing garage, which was purcashed by compulsory order for the road widening scheme.

15 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

An interesting film which brought back quite a few childhood meories. As a small matter of interest the hideous office block built opposite Harvey Taylor's old sheds was built on the site of my Uncle's Motor Cycle sales and servicing garage, which was purcashed by compulsory order for the road widening scheme.

Small world, I used to buy spares for my motorcycle from that store 1964/65, It was quite a big outlet, across Walton Street. Some of the canal buildings were taken up by Mick Riley who also dealt in Motor bikes.

13 hours ago, LEO said:

Small world, I used to buy spares for my motorcycle from that store 1964/65, It was quite a big outlet, across Walton Street. Some of the canal buildings were taken up by Mick Riley who also dealt in Motor bikes.

Mick Riley was my Uncle Reg, although everyone called him Mick.