JP water pump

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

Thanks for that info. That was a page which was not in my manual, although there are no pages missing. Strange!

What I was concerned about was, as it is a bevel gear drive, do I need to be concerned with the positioning of the driven gear wheel relative to the drive wheel, i.e.might it need to be shimmed to adjust it, and how would I measure the correct amount, or is it just a straight swap?

Edited by monkeyhanger

21 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

Thanks for that info. That was a page which was not in my manual, although there are no pages missing. Strange!

Not really. There are several versions of the JP manual to trap the unwary. The reprints we sell have the plunger pump added at the back

Wait 'til you try and work out a part number...

Richard

On 12/09/2022 at 08:28, RLWP said:

Not really. There are several versions of the JP manual to trap the unwary. The reprints we sell have the plunger pump added at the back

Wait 'til you try and work out a part number...

Richard

Luckily I've managed to purchase a NOS bevel gear. Now I need to make sure I'm doing the right things when fitting it.

18 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

Luckily I've managed to purchase a NOS bevel gear. Now I need to make sure I'm doing the right things when fitting it.

Indeed. If it's a Marine JP you are going to have to take the flywheel off, and when you refit the gear housing you must get the fuel pump timing right

Richard

On 14/09/2022 at 08:39, RLWP said:

Indeed. If it's a Marine JP you are going to have to take the flywheel off, and when you refit the gear housing you must get the fuel pump timing right

Richard

I'm not sure removing the flywheel and front cover is necessary. I bought the engine as a pile of bits and put it together over 30 years ago, so my memory may be a bit rusty, but I seem to remember that the water pump and its drive gear just bolt onto the side of the gear housing, and the fuel pump doesn't need to be involved. But, as I say, it was a long time ago and I'm happy to be corrected. (But not TOO happy, because if you're correct, I've got a bigger job than I'd bargained for on my hands)