taking thetford toilet out of the boat with cassette jammed inside..

aristorias

Featured Posts

I have a thetford C200 and recently replaced the cassette with a c200 'freshen up' kit. The cassette seems to be slightly larger and has jammed inside. I have tried others tips to get it out but to no avail... it is staying in there!

The blade is not turning and the lever has somehow got detached. Some have suggested manually turning the yellow blade knob but there is no room inside to do this.

The problem is that with the cassette inside I can not get at the screws that hold the toilet in place on the bathroom floor and so can not remove the toilet. I dont mind cutting into it and would replace with a new replacement but do not know the best way of going about it.

Has anybody a solution?

Maybe give Thetford customer services a call, explain the situation and see if they have any 'non-destuctive' ideas.

I'm sure they are in the best position to be able to tell you where to push / pull / press / hit to releae whatever is jamming.

Unit 6 Brookfields Way, Rotherham S63 5DL
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Fit a pump out loo, no need for a new boat.    ☺️

No, buy a Thetford 135, bought one recently, only £65 from a caravan shop.

After all it's only for poo and wee, so why spend a load of money on one.

19 hours ago, aristorias said:

I have a thetford C200 and recently replaced the cassette with a c200 'freshen up' kit. The cassette seems to be slightly larger and has jammed inside. I have tried others tips to get it out but to no avail... it is staying in there!

The blade is not turning and the lever has somehow got detached. Some have suggested manually turning the yellow blade knob but there is no room inside to do this.

The problem is that with the cassette inside I can not get at the screws that hold the toilet in place on the bathroom floor and so can not remove the toilet. I dont mind cutting into it and would replace with a new replacement but do not know the best way of going about it.

Has anybody a solution?

I had to remove mine recently to fix a water leak. I found it was held in place by a hook above the cassette door, no screws in the base. Perhaps the design has changed over the years though.IMG_20220910_171013129.jpg.44e63024550e3ccb5f51b5cb116d4a1a.jpg

Did the old cassette have wheels and a handle like the new design do?  I have the old style without either.  I've wondered before if they are interchangeable. It looks like they are not.

Perhaps you could remove the handle. Photo doesn't clearly show how it is fixed to the cassette.

Thank you all. I am now on my way to a boatyard with a humungous electric saw, so suspect my loo will be no more in the near future leaving me free to choose another.

To answer some questions...

The flush unit in my loo does not lift up so all internal screws floor and under basin must have been used.

The handle for the wheels is under the cassette and so unreachable.

The old cassetes were of the non wheel variety.

I have so far, been unable to reach Thetford.

Thank you all for your interest.

5 hours ago, aristorias said:

I have so far, been unable to reach Thetford.

I think there was a recent thread here discussing contacting Thetford, and how they go out of their way to conceal contact numbers etc. Pretty sure they expect you to approach one of their agents for technical advice, rather than themselves. 

45 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think there was a recent thread here discussing contacting Thetford, and how they go out of their way to conceal contact numbers etc. Pretty sure they expect you to approach one of their agents for technical advice, rather than themselves. 

I would expect that Alan* will have tested the number/s he has provided, and will confirm that he has had no problems contacting them on several occasions. 

If not, he has no idea whether these arbitrary numbers he finds and posts,  are of any use whatsoever.

* de Enfield :)