Part of former canal to be restored in Cardiff?

stort_mark

Featured Posts

The city of Cardiff has spent much of the last 50 years trying to eradicate all traces of its former canals, but it seems times are achangin'.

However, not sure the Bute East feeder canal was really part of the canal, was it? The Glamorgan Canal ran some 100m west through what is now the St David Centre before curving around onto Mill Lane and past the Customs House.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/exposed-light-day-first-time-24955531

Indeed, seperate waterways and the Feeder Canal wasn't officially navigable although it may have been navigated on occasion - there was nothing to stop that other than low bridges as far as I'm aware. The dock it fed (Bute West) has quite gone, Bute East remains, landlocked, as a central feature for the Atlantic Wharf development. 

You're making me all nostaligic again...  

23 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I seem to remember that, a couple of decades ago, there used to be traces of old lock gear in the pedestrian underpass at the South-Eastern corner of the castle.

Yes very odd.

What was done to Bute Docks was one of the worst examples of Cultural Heritage tokenism.

IMGP3489.JPG

IMGP3505.JPG

On 08/09/2022 at 19:57, Ronaldo47 said:

I seem to remember that, a couple of decades ago, there used to be traces of old lock gear in the pedestrian underpass at the South-Eastern corner of the castle.

The pedestrian tunnel is almost totally on the line of the old navigable tunnel.