Lister JP 3 stops when running faster

DannyD

Featured Posts

Hoi there,

i've overhauled the engine last winter, new pistons, piston rings, one big end bearing and so on. Since then the motor starts perfect, runs perfect until half speed or so, but when running it just a little faster the engine comes to a stop after 5 to 6 minutes. First time I was afraid one of the pistons was stuck, but the engine starts just fine again after just a minute or so. 

Anyone any ideas what the problem might be and how to solve it?

Thx in advance, Danny

1 minute ago, DannyD said:

No noise it just comes to a slow stop. I can turn it over right away. 

That sounds like fuel in some form…have you checked for air in the lines & pump….although it wouldn’t usually restart so possibly more starvation as others have said. I take it you have a day tank set up? Some JP’s rely on a electric pump but they were never designed to run like that. 

There is a new fuel filter installed and indeed a daytank. Before all the work on the engine this problem didn’t exist. 
Could this problem also be a valve adjustment problem? Or is fuel starvation the only option?

32 minutes ago, DannyD said:

There is a new fuel filter installed and indeed a daytank. Before all the work on the engine this problem didn’t exist. 
Could this problem also be a valve adjustment problem? Or is fuel starvation the only option?

If you have a tight valve clearance I suppose it could close up as the valve warmed but then it would misfire rather than just slow and stop. If you don't know what a diesel misfire sounds like post a low res video so all can see and hear what is happening.

There are loads of options like a seizure but restarting after such a short while suggest this is less likely. Your day tank might have a strainer on the outlet inside the tank. If that was partially blocked it would fit the symptoms. Bug could do that.

39 minutes ago, DannyD said:

I'll check the day tank again and try to make a video next time we test it. Thanks for the help.

See how easy it is to blow back up the fuel pipe into the tank. Compare the fuel flow out of the disconnected pipe before and after blowing back up it. If you get more flow afterwards you can be fairly sure it probably has a strainer gauze and it was partially blocked.

Did you or will you check the day tank breather that might just be a small hole in the cap? If that is blocked it would reduce the fuel flow via gravity from a day tank more than if tit had a fuel lift pump. Try running with the cap or tank filler pipe off/disconnected.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Id also crack the two large bolts on the top of the injector pump just next to where the high pressure lines come out to see if fuel flows freely from them...you might need to turn the engine over if by chance one of the delivery valves is in the closed position. 

My old day tank had a cylindrical  bronze hydraulic filter on the exit pipe inside the tank...because the original owner was a hydraulic fitter....it blocked and caused all sorts of issues so a check there isn't anything fitted inside the tank is a good idea if you aren't getting much fuel flow.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Id also crack the two large bolts on the top of the injector pump just next to where the high pressure lines come out to see if fuel flows freely from them...you might need to turn the engine over if by chance one of the delivery valves is in the closed position. 

My old day tank had a cylindrical  bronze hydraulic filter on the exit pipe inside the tank...because the original owner was a hydraulic fitter....it blocked and caused all sorts of issues so a check there isn't anything fitted inside the tank is a good idea if you aren't getting much fuel flow.

I did that today and the fuel ran freely out of the opened screws. 

Just now, DannyD said:

I did that today and the fuel ran freely out of the opened screws. 

To my mind thats suggesting it might be a vent issue rather than an immediate blockage as that would build up over time....Id check those screws again if you run it at higher speed and it dies....if you check immediately then you would see if there is fuel flowing still.

The old type filters tend to leak (or the banjos connecting filter to pump) pull air in and this often ends up in the injector pump, and gives the symptoms you describe. 

Edited by BWM